*Spoiler* Tactics Discussion: Dealing with the L----- S----

Tactics and Action Reports.
Allattar

Re: *Spoiler* Tactics Discussion: Dealing with the L----- S----

Post by Allattar » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:05 pm

First time I saw these I went out equipped with Absorbers and heavy AM cannons on War section Human cruisers, they all had PD phasors as well.

I have never seen so much AM cannon fire, each cruiser was firing as if it had three AM projectors on top.

:lol:

The hiveworld went boom
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
Every darn time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shadow wolf wrote:Sorry to be so English.

Jerawolfe

Post by Jerawolfe » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:38 am

Mecron wrote:very elegant!

I think that is the highest praise you can recieve in SotS.

A solution being called "elegant".

By Mecron.

Proper Respect, mate. Proper Respect.

~Jera

Barleyman

Post by Barleyman » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:03 pm

Mesaia wrote:Would emitter DEs work?

I don't know about emitter DEs, but EM CRs had same disappointing 1:3 damage ratio as gauss PD CRs. *sigh*

Barleyman

Post by Barleyman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:25 am

Ok, another round of anti-schwarm cruisers.. Success!

EM + neutron beam cruisers dish out 1:2 damage ratio. Hardly exciting I know, but previous PD gauss cruiser designs could only manage 1:3 ..

So even if you can't get PD phasers, ANY kind of beams do help.

mango
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by mango » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:37 pm

OK I had a hell of a job killing one of these just now. First I had very low tech, its turn 191 and I have just got antimatter but no DN no phaser no disrupter shield only poly armor.

I have about 8-10 turns to go before the thing impacts one of my worlds, I can see it is doing nearest world next and has had two empty worlds for lunch already. I know that if it continues it will pass through the heart of my empire and gut it so I have to stop it, failure is not an option.

First I check the pathways to beamers and find I have to get green laser as I have UV laser already and no beamer. Two turns later I have green beamer and no UV beamer in sight. Oh oh!

Next I get corrosive missile, this helps with my other frontier skirmishes as well so a useful synergy. This is a nice surprise as green beamer tried out in PD role was about as useful as tying a sign on my DEs saying "kick me" but I digress.

Heavy laser then particle beam next on the shopping list. Latter has not impressed in the past but all is forgiven today, more about that later. I am pumping out cruisers now with AM engines and corrosive missile, nanite missile is 8 turns away so no point messing with that. 3 turns and I have PB at 150% overrun :| , only a couple of turns left and I just sneak reflective armor in which has popped out of one of the research projects I had on the go salvaged from battles.

So did light emitters but I didnt have time to do them as well. So I have approx 50 cruisers. with green beamers and all have corrosive missile and a dozen have heavy laser. Warheads are antimatter and I manage to get a ring of light sats up around the main planet. Half a dozen cruiser CNC of varying tech levels.

Then the battle. I send the first wave, having read about refinery bombs I built a half dozen with UV laser at the outset . They also have corrosive missile too. So I put them out to meet the swarm and lay down a corrosive missile barrage, as they pop the reinforcements drop in behind them and I have them defend the CNC. Locusts tear up rank after rank of ships, I am manually targetting corrosive missile but it is not working too well and I just hit the attack button and let them get on with it.

Wave after wave of locusts emerge and the Fatman CNC and its backup are dying and I need another one so I bring in the few ships with battle section and 3 particle beams apiece that I had time to build and these swat the flys very nicely as they were thinned by the corrosive missiles. Suddenly all the locusts have gone.

My world is dead but the fight is not over I have to finish it to protect the other near worlds which are all mine. The DN remains and as a dozen UV armor cruisers with corrosive missile die the heavy lasers are sent in, I have about 8 or 9 left and after a couple of "simulations" *ahem* I have set the battle to run for 390 secs, the DN finally pops with 7 secs to spare. I lost about 40 cruisers but it was worth it. The planet is considerably richer and my worst nightmare is over. However while I was messing with the Locusts another one began, the Tarka have developed dreadnoughts!!!

Jerawolfe

Re: *Spoiler* Tactics Discussion: Dealing with the L----- S-

Post by Jerawolfe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:52 pm

That was an awesome post, that should be c/p'd to SAR.

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:42 am

Aww I miss struggling with the Locust Swarm after catching up with this thread. ;)

Unkn0wnx

Post by Unkn0wnx » Thu May 03, 2012 2:18 pm

I don't like to engage it in deep space, it drops thousands of resource once killed. That's like two meteor shower worth.

Jerawolfe

Post by Jerawolfe » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:45 pm

How do I resubscribe to a thread if I accidentally unsubscribe, I hope just posting this works.

siracer

Post by siracer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:35 am

hehe
i had an easy ai human fight the first locust hive from deep space and i thought it was tough but after the AI's 3 DN's derpped the brand new colony to death by trying to hit the swarmers for half the battle with all weapons, some PD, even their Heavy Drivers :yell: and anti matter cannons, they decided to start trying to hit the locust hive base with everything, the humans had lancers and just before combat ended as I x8 the battle the lancers on the ships gave the locust ship a final what-for and the humans reigned victorious with no casualties, only one or two DN's in the yellow ;p
and next turn the planet got 2,800 resources from the locust that came from the VN Homeworld for some reason, were all obliterated in that one showdown 8)
Last edited by siracer on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Empers of AaronTopia
SirAaron, SirAce, SirVelrin, SirCral, SirMerkin, SirDragonov, SirReign, SirRain, MissTerrus, SirZerke, MissHevam, SirNov, MissVorte, SirArmad, SirGorex, MissDalna, SirAcer
"Any man can defeat a god. Any man can become a god. Why you do either is what you will be remembered for."

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:41 pm

- derpped?

- Interesting, was the VN Homeworld stripped by the locusts? Poor VN's, tirelessly accumulating all those resources during all those turns only to get raided by the Locusts... :roll:

- Notice that most of this thread is not only pre-ANY, it's even pre-aMoC!

- I wonder, does Reflective Coating help against Locusts? Because it doesn't do anything against Phasers and heavier beams and Locusts were in the game before we had Green and UV Beamers to play with (which ARE affected by Reflective Coating).

- I had a game a while ago where I defeated the Locusts as Humans using 60 Point Defense Interceptor Missiles DE's with Magnetoceramics (and basic Warheads, but does that even affect interceptors?), accompanied by 15 BB/War/Fusion 4 Smart Nanites CR, led by 3 CR CnC and 20 defense platforms with the same weapons. It has shown to be overkill, I probably could have won with 2/3 of that force, or even without DE's (firing Nanites on my own ships as Locusts swarm around them has shown to be rather effective on a second try).

Here are the save games:

siracer

Post by siracer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 pm

BlueTemplar- Interesting, was the VN Homeworld stripped by the locusts? Poor VN's, tirelessly accumulating all those resources during all those turns only to get raided by the Locusts... :roll: :

hehe, yes after i DN'd the world to death it only had like 84 resources and my next game the VN homeworld was at the tip of the barred spiral behind my spawn and it had 8,235 resources

locusts arn't as disapointing as the peacekeeper
it died cause i autoresolved its only fight vs easy ai hiver's with 1 DN and 25-50 CR's with absolutly no cnc, same game as vn world with 8,235 resources
The Empers of AaronTopia
SirAaron, SirAce, SirVelrin, SirCral, SirMerkin, SirDragonov, SirReign, SirRain, MissTerrus, SirZerke, MissHevam, SirNov, MissVorte, SirArmad, SirGorex, MissDalna, SirAcer
"Any man can defeat a god. Any man can become a god. Why you do either is what you will be remembered for."

Orion_Steel

Post by Orion_Steel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:46 am

I have confirmed that leap mines killl locust pretty good as a mid tech fusion solution. 8) !phwoar

2 cnc cruiser and 30 or so LM DEs did it good - just dbl-click run away and watch them chase into your mine trail.

(some would say LMs is major-cheese / pwnage againt the AI player in general, and I would not disagree, but against locust pre AM, with no shields, I'm not proud :angel: )

I tried some gauss pd and some emitters in mix - neither did much, but I did not see gauss being particularily superior to light emitters as was suggested in thread. They both just fried'n'died before locust got in range. At least the red laser pd got in a few points of damage.

OS

Grunthex

Post by Grunthex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:08 pm

So I've never tried the Locusts at low-tech before, and decided to try the cloaked refinery route.

Not sure if I dunno how to use cloaking or what, but it didn't have any effect -- in that the drones happily fired on my "cloaked" refineries, blowing them up LONG before they get into useful range. Am I doing something wrong? The refineries are going "green shadowy", so I THOUGHT they were cloaked...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:00 pm

When I last used that technique (admittedly a while ago, in the RBSotS2 SG, but it was in 1.8.0) it worked fine.

You shouldn't expect being cloaked to entirely stop enemy locust fire, but it does reduce it substantially. In fact you want to take some damage from locust beams (so you'll explode) but not so much that you can't get into position. You ideally want to make sure you maneuver quickly and precisely so you don't waste too many cloaked refineries exploding on top of one another but instead can position them so at least one or two explosions will roast the drones still docked to the fleetworld.

My first thought is that perhaps you aren't doing a deep space intercept. I always try to intercept in deep space as it means my ships start much closer to the locust fleetworld.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “T.A.R.”