Flickering and redraw-strobe effect

Tech support. This is tech support. My name is Ernie.
jiggyjiggy

Flickering and redraw-strobe effect

Post by jiggyjiggy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:31 am

Back when people used Windows XP, there was this bug where moving a window would leave a trail of multiple copies of itself, just a visual bug.

That's what's happening with my stars in the star map when I rotate it or zoom in and out. And oddly this bug happens at certain camera positions and angles.

On top of that, everything also flickers at certain camera positions and angles. Even the UI flickers.

Anyone know what's wrong or how to fix it?

willdieh

Re: Flickering and redraw-strobe effect

Post by willdieh » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Hard to say without any info on your hardware. Perhaps it's something the devs have seen in the past, but I've run SOTS on probably five different computers from laptops with integrated graphics to desktops with discrete cards on windows 7 - 10 and never seen that... I'd suspect a video driver or perhaps a directX installation issue so perhaps look into that? Does it happen in full screen vs windowed? At all resolutions?

jiggyjiggy

Post by jiggyjiggy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:42 pm

full screen and at multiple resolutions. a background redraw failure

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:33 pm

not seen here ever but it is a 12 year old code base so, literally, anything could be happening. My only insight is to try the various emulation modes available under modern Windows.

jiggyjiggy

Post by jiggyjiggy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Last edited by jiggyjiggy on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jiggyjiggy

Post by jiggyjiggy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:44 pm

willdieh wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:45 pm
Hard to say without any info on your hardware. Perhaps it's something the devs have seen in the past, but I've run SOTS on probably five different computers from laptops with integrated graphics to desktops with discrete cards on windows 7 - 10 and never seen that... I'd suspect a video driver or perhaps a directX installation issue so perhaps look into that? Does it happen in full screen vs windowed? At all resolutions?
Mecron wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:33 pm
not seen here ever but it is a 12 year old code base so, literally, anything could be happening. My only insight is to try the various emulation modes available under modern Windows.
full screen and at multiple resolutions. a background redraw failure

I'm using Windows 7, 32-bit, Intel HD Graphics 2000, I checked and no driver updates were available. Direct X 11 too.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:05 pm

Probably integrated graphics... Never tried it with less than 3000 series. Still weird though.

jiggyjiggy

Post by jiggyjiggy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:09 pm

willdieh wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:05 pm
Probably integrated graphics... Never tried it with less than 3000 series. Still weird though.
yeah weird.

good news, the redraw bug appears to have disappeared, for some reason, no idea what.

the flickering of the stars and UI continues, even with Win XP (SP3) compatibility settings.

I notice that the flicker happens whenever I'm zoomed into the star map, and stops when I zoom out.

Return to “Technical Support”