Stormers eat framerate :(

Tech support. This is tech support. My name is Ernie.
Janster

Re: Stormers eat framerate :(

Post by Janster » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:14 pm

Thanks a lot :)

Malakie

Post by Malakie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:30 am

I too see the FPS slow down when stormers are used... BUT I have noticed something else as well... Stormers recycle and fire WAY to fast... in other words I see stormers firing 4 times or so before other weapons even get another shot off.... Combine this with projectile tracking and you get massive FPS loss....

Right now I am loosing planets left and right because the Tarka race, I am human, is just tearing through my ships. I have good armor, even shields have been tried. But these stormers recycle so fast and fire so many times compared to other weapons that my ships just do not have a chance at all. For every one of those ships I kill it is taking out 6 or 7 of mine.

The firing rate needs to be slowed down. When I get in a battle now there are usually about 40 enemy ships and all seem to use stormers plus all my ships and let me tell you things do slow down which also leads to sound becoming garbled because the system cannot keep up...

BTW, running an Intel Dual Core 2.8 gHz, 4 Meg ram, lots of HD space, ATI HD3870 with HP w2207h widescreen, Creative xFI Platinum and of course all the latest drivers etc etc... ( plan on getting rid of the xFi as it seems Creative just wants us to buy newer cards and basically has not put any real work into getting us drivers that are worth anything on older cards for Vista). The last update was in August. Every other company whose product I use is way ahead of that and are constantly updating things. So now I am trying to figure out which sound card might be the way to go... Suffice it to say, Creative lost me as a customer due to this.

Malakie

Post by Malakie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:25 pm

Mordachai wrote:Malakie - I'm surprised that you're having difficulty with stormers when you're using "good armor".

I find that once I get Magno Ceramics or better, that Stormers are pretty mild (and I play Liir, who's base hull strength is akin to tissue paper).

Are you using CRs or DEs? You may want to upgrade to CRs, as they can take a much better punch and keep on punching back.

I agree that upgraded armor does help and in smaller battles I can hold my own. However in large battles where they have say 30 ships all firing with stormers, well they just tear a ship apart. and yes I am using CR's right now. The bigger problem though is not that they are so strong in my opinion rather that they cycle and fire so dam fast compared to other weapons. I mean there is very little time between when they fire to the next firing sequence. I have seen recycles vary from firing 3 times for every once of a blaster to 6 times for every firing of a cannon.. again depending on exactly which model/size/upgrade etc etc...

And when you have 30 ships all like that firing, man does it drag a system down...

Personally, I think stormers should be a long cycle high damage weapon. But that is just me.

Chernobog

Post by Chernobog » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:59 pm

What's a 'blaster'?

Stormers aren't supposed to be fast-firing weapons. Ought to be an 8-second reload with VRF, which is only fast by standards of torpedoes, missiles, or major beam weapons.

I'm also surprised to hear of them being at all effective against magnoceramics. Never seemed to work well against me, though I was Morrigi at the time.

Malakie

Post by Malakie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Chernobog wrote:What's a 'blaster'?

Stormers aren't supposed to be fast-firing weapons. Ought to be an 8-second reload with VRF, which is only fast by standards of torpedoes, missiles, or major beam weapons.

I'm also surprised to hear of them being at all effective against magnoceramics. Never seemed to work well against me, though I was Morrigi at the time.

Small DE sized lasers I call blasters just because in reality they are not lasers.. Just my own thing I guess...

As for the stormers... I am human and human ships definitely have some issues. I found that another major problem is human ships have NO weapons on the bottom of the ship... completely vulnerable and this might also be playing into it... Now if I could get the vertical up and down movement to work.... that might help.. but for some reason all I am getting to work is roll.

nomanbabber

Post by nomanbabber » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:55 am

Awesome!! It’s just what I need!! Thanks!............

Return to “Technical Support”