Collecting Sync Error Logs

Tech support. This is tech support. My name is Ernie.
Kludgy
Site Admin

Collecting Sync Error Logs

Post by Kludgy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:58 pm

There have been some reports of regular sync errors from people playing the demo. Unfortunately it is too narrow of a problem to produce with our testing pool, so I would like to enlist your help!

This involves setting up a LAN game that is known to produce sync errors. But before starting up, all players will have to modify these settings in their netconfig.ini files:

SyncCheckStrategy: true
SyncLogStrategy: true
SyncCheckCombat: true
SyncLogCombat: true
SyncDeleteLogs: false

The idea is to play until a sync error occurs, then when you're done destroying each other, exit the application. There will now be a new SyncLog directory on all players' PC's. Gather up the files in this directory from all players, zip them up and e-mail them to me (including your forum nick in the e-mail). We can decode these files to find out what is going out of sync.

*** IMPORTANT: Make sure to include sync logs from all participants. The key to this process is looking at the differences between one computer's sync logs and another.

I appreciate the effort..

Thanks!
Last edited by Kludgy on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

customer717

Post by customer717 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:50 pm

Do you only want LAN sync logs? My friend and I get out of sync frame 1 errors every game we play, but he is more than a few states away.

Kludgy
Site Admin

Post by Kludgy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:16 pm

Definitely, especially if you get it all the time.

Kludgy
Site Admin

Post by Kludgy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:43 am

For anyone still getting sync errors in combat: The fleet hold fire button may cause sync errors in some cases. Try playing combat without pressing the fleet hold fire button. If sync errors still persist, then please get in touch with me by e-mail or here on the forums.

Alvarus

Post by Alvarus » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:02 pm

So you mean go in with weapons off? I'll give that a shot.

Yesterday we tried a two-side battle (neither side holding fire) and didn't get the sync errors. In the game where I did get them, we had three-side battles (two humans vs AI).
We will raise your planet's temperature by one million degrees a day. For five days.

Kludgy
Site Admin

Post by Kludgy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:48 pm

I mean go in with weapons set to whatever they are, don't click the fleet hold fire (red/green) button in the top left. ;)

customer717

Post by customer717 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:35 am

Kludgy wrote:Definitely, especially if you get it all the time.

You should have gotten 2 sets of Sync logs from us tonight. We will send another, then may try adjusting ports and see if we get more.

Kludgy
Site Admin

Post by Kludgy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:16 am

Received and bless you sirs!

Alvarus

Post by Alvarus » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:53 pm

I reloaded the game where we had the sync errors. With the logging on it slowed down quite a bit, but I didn't get the sync error...
We will raise your planet's temperature by one million degrees a day. For five days.

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:10 pm

I got my first sync error ever when playing a multiplayer game I joined midgame. The only thing that really seemed different (along with joining midgame, which I'd done before) was opening up my ports to UDP 3369 and routing it to my computer. Sync error in frame 0. No log because it was my first error.

It might have something to do with a second firewall. My graphics card apparently has a built in firewall too (nVidia firewall, hardware). I'd just turn it off, but that could close ports too. Can't really configure it either...wish I could just purge it...still, I don't think it's a strong possibility. Just throwing it out there.

EDIT: Oh, and this was a straight up, whole wide internet game. Still, not posting might not be as helpful as posting...I say, better to err on this side. :wink:
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Cho-Arrim

Post by Cho-Arrim » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:53 pm

When I and a friend played a LAN, he didnt get any synclog and I did?
we both checked so that the ini file is correct.

he has some synclog and I have MANY...

should I send you all the sync logs I have and his??

his is 844kb and my 16.4MB

Xentax

Post by Xentax » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:32 pm

Tssha wrote:I got my first sync error ever when playing a multiplayer game I joined midgame. The only thing that really seemed different (along with joining midgame, which I'd done before) was opening up my ports to UDP 3369 and routing it to my computer. Sync error in frame 0. No log because it was my first error.

It might have something to do with a second firewall. My graphics card apparently has a built in firewall too (nVidia firewall, hardware). I'd just turn it off, but that could close ports too. Can't really configure it either...wish I could just purge it...still, I don't think it's a strong possibility. Just throwing it out there.

EDIT: Oh, and this was a straight up, whole wide internet game. Still, not posting might not be as helpful as posting...I say, better to err on this side. :wink:

You can probably disable your mobo firewall in your bios (I did that with mine for quite awhile).

BrassGecko
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by BrassGecko » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:02 am

Finally got the demo and was playing with a friend. We were fighting, my tanker and wounded extended range vs a wounded extended range. On MY screen, the battle ended when I shot the other ship's engine off and killed it. On my FRIEND's screen, the battle ended when she killed my extended range, then the tanker. My friend was the host, and the game kept her version... we had a sync error during the battle, would that have caused this? If so, we'll try to send logs.

Edit: if it helps, on my screen my friend's ship stopped moving, on my friend's screen my ships stopped dead in space. I had a colony ship there too, that kept moving. All of them were on "normal" movement.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:40 am

yep thats definetly what a sync error does...diverges reality.

Kludgy
Site Admin

Post by Kludgy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:25 am

Send em along, more data doesn't hurt. :)

Return to “Technical Support”