Strange Lines in Tactical Combat

Tech support. This is tech support. My name is Ernie.
Erlkoenig

Strange Lines in Tactical Combat

Post by Erlkoenig » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:13 pm

I get these strange lines in combat, that seem to go from ship to ship, plus all of the unexplored stars on the galaxy map just turned grey (although I probably pressed some hotkey?). Also, in tactical combat sometimes the insignia (in my case Ad Infinitum) comes off of the ship and starts flashing, generally staying a little ways behind it. Anyone had this happen?

Running 8700M GT with 186.81 drivers, did a clean before & after installing to no effect.

Other Specs:
Intel T9300 2.5GHz Dual-Core processor
200GB 7200RPM HDD
4GB RAM
Windows XP32 SP3

Yes, I downloaded the drivers for my version of windows.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: Will post screenies (and the save?) later, I don't have time right now.
Mecron wrote:you have purchased a universe

Sweet.

So I start up my computer, and get the message "Found New Hardware: Magic Device." Win.

Erlkoenig

Re: Strange Lines in Tactical Combat

Post by Erlkoenig » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:03 pm

*Bump*

Also, after one turn the galaxy view/research screen get HORRIBLE fps (~10) instead of the usual 40ish. Anyone? I mean, I'm reasonably sure that my computer's system files are slowly dying, but I've actually had this issue for a while.

Sweet.

So I start up my computer, and get the message "Found New Hardware: Magic Device." Win.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:45 pm

This has been mentioned a few times by other people... I think the general consensus was 1) Kerberos is investigating... not sure if they said it was fixed or not, try using the search function... 2) make sure you update your drivers and directx 9 to the most recent versions. 3) try forcing single core.

Erlkoenig

Post by Erlkoenig » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:19 pm

zanzibar196 wrote:This has been mentioned a few times by other people... I think the general consensus was 1) Kerberos is investigating... not sure if they said it was fixed or not, try using the search function... 2) make sure you update your drivers and directx 9 to the most recent versions. 3) try forcing single core.

1. I can use a search function, kthanks.
2. I already said I did that
3. How would chopping off half of my processing power make it FASTER. That makes almost no sense.

Sweet.

Erlkoenig

Post by Erlkoenig » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:19 pm

zanzibar196 wrote:This has been mentioned a few times by other people... I think the general consensus was 1) Kerberos is investigating... not sure if they said it was fixed or not, try using the search function... 2) make sure you update your drivers and directx 9 to the most recent versions. 3) try forcing single core.

1. I can use a search function, kthanks.
2. I already said I did that
3. How would chopping off half of my processing power make it FASTER. That makes almost no sense.

Edit: Weird, why'd it post twice.

Sweet.

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:18 am

Erlkoenig wrote:How would chopping off half of my processing power make it FASTER. That makes almost no sense.

Well, because SotS doesn't use the other core? It's not coded for multi-core! All you are doing by running it that way is creating confusion, which you can see in graphical glitches. Edit the sots.ini file. Force the single core. See if that does the trick.

Erlkoenig

Post by Erlkoenig » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 pm

zanzibar196 wrote:
Erlkoenig wrote:How would chopping off half of my processing power make it FASTER. That makes almost no sense.

Well, because SotS doesn't use the other core? It's not coded for multi-core! All you are doing by running it that way is creating confusion, which you can see in graphical glitches. Edit the sots.ini file. Force the single core. See if that does the trick.

It's not? Lame, I thought it was. Still a fantastic game...It needs multi-core support :O!

It'd be simpler to just set the affinity. Idk, I'll try, but I seriously odbut it will do anything. You ever even...nevermind.

Edit: Actually, you know what...anyone wanna, verify what zanz said...I seem to have...heard he isn't the most...correct...source.

Edit Again: Oh, and Zanz, try not sounding so pretentious and having a tone to your writing implying that I am an idiot for somehow not knowing that it doesn't have multi-core support. From how fantasticaly amazing it is and its...relative recentness...few years, but yeah, I assumed that it was coded for multi-core. I don't hav ehte time to sit around and look up the exact specifications of it, so get off my back, ey?

Sweet.

Zabaron
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Zabaron » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:07 am

Actually, when I checked, SotS ran an average of 13 threads at any time. It's true that most of the core game logic is in one thread IIRC, but it does make use of multiple cores.

-Zabaron
"ʎq ʎlɟ ʎǝɥʇ sɐ ǝʞɐɯ ʎǝɥʇ punos ƃuıɥsooʍ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌol ı ˙sǝuılpɐǝp ǝʌol ı"
sɯɐpɐ sɐlƃnop-

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:27 am

Zabaron wrote:Actually, when I checked, SotS ran an average of 13 threads at any time. It's true that most of the core game logic is in one thread IIRC, but it does make use of multiple cores.

-Zabaron

Then please explain why it works better when forced to a single core?

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

*cough* :)

Post by silvaril » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:25 am

Heya

It is likely that the OS is assigning threads to CPU's of its own accord, rather than the game making use of such things itself.

Lavamadness or Kludgy may correct me on that... :D

Zanz' is actually reasonably good at Tech Support, but does sometimes leave myself wondering if his rl Tech Support job frustrations are "overflowing" elsewhere... ;p

And he is correct about trying the ( relatively ) simple config file alteration for binding the game to a single CPU / core.

aka, Worth a shot... ;)
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Magnum

Post by Magnum » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:40 am

Update your vid drivers, force single core, update directx to every tech support question regardless of what it is = reasonably good?
:thumbsup:

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:59 pm

I have this issue too. The lines in tactical (they point from the ships to the centre of the planet), as well as the decals flashing around.

Athlon 3600+ XP; 2GB RAM.
NVidea 6800 for graphics.

Directx is at the latest. Game is running dual-core (never had problems with that in previous versions), and graphics drivers are the same as have worked just fine in previous versions.

Zabaron
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Zabaron » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:23 am

zanzibar196 wrote:Then please explain why it works better when forced to a single core?

IIRC, The problems fixed by forcing SotS to a single core stem from a timing bug present in some AMD CPUs wherein the cores report slightly different times.

And Sil, I wasn't implying that forcing SotS to a single core was a bad troubleshooting step. In fact, from what I gather, graphical glitches are a common symptom of the AMD timing bug.

-Zabaron
sɯɐpɐ sɐlƃnop-

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 pm

Apparently, it's not just an AMD timing issue, it's also an intel one too... (the OP has an intel CPU).

Zabaron
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Zabaron » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:26 pm

Then forcing single core most likely won't fix the issue with the OP; he hasn't reported back if it solved his issue. Not that it's not a good first troubleshooting step.

-Zabaron
sɯɐpɐ sɐlƃnop-

Return to “Technical Support”