Read First: SotS/BoB/CE Problems (All Dists)

Tech support. This is tech support. My name is Ernie.
BlackLiger

Re: Read First: SotS/BoB/CE Problems (All Dists)

Post by BlackLiger » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:13 am

thanks, that appeared to cure it.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:16 am

excellent! thanks again zab!

Wyrdfire

Post by Wyrdfire » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:43 pm

Some animations play extremely fast. -or- No Connection occurs for the Host of a multiplayer game.

This is a known issue with a combination of certain dual-core CPU's and a bug in an important Windows timer function. In SotS version 1.2.1 and later, you can address this by adding the following to your sots.ini file:

Code:
[CPU]
ForceSingleCore=1

Don't know if this deserves its own thread, but the AMD dual core optimizer (1.1.4) seemed to solve this problem for me. You can get it here http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content ... _1.1.4.zip

I was pointed to it to solve a bug in the Dawn of War 2 Beta, and thought 'hey, that sounds like why I had to force single core in Sots.' Hope it works for somebody else.

igotsmeakabob!!

Post by igotsmeakabob!! » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:37 am

I've been getting Mars Dumps and Blue Screens (always scary, those).. I'll try turning off the hardware acceleration for my audio later. Is that the only solution?

XP Pro SP3
Geforce 9800GT
Athlon 64 X2 DualC 3000+
3+ gigs o' RAM
Soundblaster X-Fi
-I play Liir. What can I say, I'm a blaspheming rebel.
-Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.
-Civilization is like a herd of pigs. The herd brings many benefits, but no one should wonder at all the sh*t.
-How do they rise up?

igotsmeakabob!!

Post by igotsmeakabob!! » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:03 pm

Couple things with that.. can't I just force the game to use a single core through the Processes page on a C+A+D?
And if I'm only going on a single core, the game's battles are going to start slowing down alot earlier (like when I have fleets of 30 instead of 110. That isn't much of a fix :( .

edit: Damn, it looks like I'm already not using the Use Hardware option in audio options.
-Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.
-Civilization is like a herd of pigs. The herd brings many benefits, but no one should wonder at all the sh*t.
-How do they rise up?

igotsmeakabob!!

Post by igotsmeakabob!! » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:16 am

Oh, SotS doesn't make use of multiple cores?
Crud... I suppose I should just stick it all on one core.
-How do they rise up?

Shadowsun

Post by Shadowsun » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:31 pm

when trying to install Born of blood on my mate's PC an error message occurs, stating that the game has gone corrupt and we have to reinstall

we're using the 1.2.2 patch on sword of the stars, after wich we apply BoB cuasing it to crash jsut after it starts

his system specs are nearly double that of myn, so there should be no problem with the system requirements

any idea's ?
we also tried removing the full Sots folder but the problem remains
Hiver for Live!!

Navigation: Sir, We are surrounded!
Captain: Excellent!, Now we can fire in Any direction!

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:44 pm

I'm not sure I've seen that error before. Could you give some more information:

What OS is he using?
Where did you buy SotS (GamersGate, Steam, Impulse, D2D, Retail)?
Where did you get Born of Blood?
Has he used any mods before?
What was the exact wording of the error?
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

bobja3

Post by bobja3 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:02 pm

I recently bought sword of the stars and installed, I then tried to install born of blood, the official expansion pack, but it will only go up to the second patch while installing before it crashes and the text “the patch has failed. This may be because the game has been corrupted or modified. Please re install.” I have reinstalled about 5 times but it doesn’t work and the sword of the stars is a genuine disk. I have no idea what to do and after trying to install born of blood and it fails, it also stops sword of the stars working and I have to re install that to play it. Why won’t it work? Please reply soon. p.s. the patch is keeps crashing on is, Patches\sots-gob-1.2.2-1.3.6pat

Jerawolfe

Post by Jerawolfe » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm actually having problems with the installer and Win 7, I think. I own three copies of the game. Two discs and a downloadable (I purchased an extra one when I got my second copy of Born of Blood, me and my wife LOVE the game), anyways.

I go to install, and everything goes fine with the first install, USUALLY. But when I go to apply a patch manually or let BoB install and patch, it tells me my original installation is corrupt, and I need to reinstall it.

The disc won't even install on my Win 7 system.

It works with our vista computer just fine.

What information do I need to provide you with to troubleshoot this problem?

~Jera

P.S.: I haven't played Sots in so long... Need... Sots... Must... Get... AI... Sla....

Jerawolfe

Post by Jerawolfe » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:48 pm

bobja3 wrote:I recently bought sword of the stars and installed, I then tried to install born of blood, the official expansion pack, but it will only go up to the second patch while installing before it crashes and the text “the patch has failed. This may be because the game has been corrupted or modified. Please re install.” I have reinstalled about 5 times but it doesn’t work and the sword of the stars is a genuine disk. I have no idea what to do and after trying to install born of blood and it fails, it also stops sword of the stars working and I have to re install that to play it. Why won’t it work? Please reply soon. p.s. the patch is keeps crashing on is, Patches\sots-gob-1.2.2-1.3.6pat

Yeah, I have the SAME problem!

Herknav

Post by Herknav » Sat May 29, 2010 10:49 pm

I have been unable to get the game to play in W7 myself. It seems like it installs correctly, but when I try and start the game, it gives me the spinning CD icon for a while then stops. Sometimes the screen flashes before it quits.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:28 am

what version of the game?

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:57 am

Mecron wrote:what version of the game?

And speaking of that, is it from DvD/CD/Download (which game source) should also be helpful.
It's not that we stood or fell that matters, but that we stood and faced it.

Jerawolfe

Post by Jerawolfe » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:02 am

Mecron wrote:what version of the game?

For me? End of Born of Blood, some point during the AMOC patch application, pre -install of the actual AMOC game.

I can attempt to recreate the issue, but I have the steam version installed now (gods, how many copies of this game does that make that I've purchased... ten, I think.)

Advisement, Mecron?

~Jera

Return to “Technical Support”