Read First: SotS/BoB/CE Problems (All Dists)

Tech support. This is tech support. My name is Ernie.
muditganguly

Re: Read First: SotS/BoB/CE Problems (All Dists)

Post by muditganguly » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:13 pm

yeah,
see because i got the game a long time back, and played it then. it had the problem with the ships but later on i remember i added a patch (1.2.1 or 1.1.1, i dono which one) and the problem was solved.
recently i saw a review of Argos Naval Yard on the internet, and i wanted to play it again.
i posted my first post a few days ago, since then i tried to install the patches again, but it did not solve the problem.
so the version of SOTS when i install it is 1.0
even after updating it to 1.1.1 and to 1.2.1 it doesnt solve the problem

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:57 pm

Well, I don't think kerberos is supporting version 1.0 any more... you are better off getting the complete collection (1.8.0)... and if you are STILL having problems, then let us know!

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:56 pm

That not very helpful there zanz. Let's try to help someone with a problem first, and suggest an upgrade later, especially because this may be a hardware issue.

As to the problem that you are having muditganguly, the G31M-ES2L's integrated GPU Intel GMA 3100 is probably the problem. According to wikipedia:
It has pixel and vertex shaders which only support Shader Model 2.0b features, and the vertex shaders are still only software-emulated. In addition, hardware video acceleration such as hardware-based iDCT computation, ProcAmp (video stream independent color correction), and VC-1 decoding are not implemented in hardware.

My guess is that the software emulation of the vertex shaders is causing your shiny multi-color effect. I'd suggest that you try updating the drivers for the integrated graphics and maybe for your motherboard as well (start at the Gigabyte site, then check the Intel site). I'd also suggest that you update to Service Pack 3 for Windows XP. It may not do anything to help you with SotS, but there were quite a few bug fixes for XP itself.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

muditganguly

Post by muditganguly » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:43 am

hey, i tweaked around with the settings, and i put the shader to 0, and it worked.
thank you so much for helping me.
and you said something about updating?
when i searched, i found so many. do i have to install them one by one or can i just download the latest?

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:31 pm

If you are talking about your motherboard or graphics drivers, just download and install the latest one. :)

If you mean updating for Win XP, I would go to the Microsoft update site, click on the express button and just let it run, though it will probably take a while. If you click the Custom button and want to go one by one, the Service Pack 3 download will have a lot of the individual updates already bundled together, so I'd start with Service Pack 3, get that installed and then see what is left.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

*cough*

Post by silvaril » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:17 am

Heya

And if you are talking about SotS updates, then be aware that the latest update for Vanilla SotS is 1.2.2
http://sots.rorschach.net/Category:Versions

The link above goes to the Wiki where available download locations for 1.2.2 are listed.
( and yes, each is verified as still having the update... ;) )

To get further than 1.2.2 will require purchasing the expansion packs, though as Zanz' did point out in his own way you would probably be better off waiting for a sale on the Complete Collection instead... :)
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

burntham113

Post by burntham113 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:06 am

Hey guys, need some help here.

I have windows vista, Direct X 10, the Ultimate Collection and Argos Naval Yard, both through steam. When I try to start the game through steam through either of the labels, it brings the program to full screen then back out, repeats a few times very quickly, and crashes with no error message. I have my latest drivers, the latest direct x and it still wouldnt work. I tried the direct x end user runtime installer fix, still no dice though.

Anyone have this problem?

burntham113

Post by burntham113 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:14 am

I've ran it before on this laptop, but it was a long time ago and it's no longer installed, I had problems getting it to run before to, but eventually I did, so I know I can run it. Any help would be appreciated.

-Burntham

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by silvaril » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Heya

Please try deleting the display.cfg file located in the same directory as the executable, then starting the game again.

Disclaimer:

burntham113

Post by burntham113 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:24 pm

I got it to work by changing the display.cfg files windowed setting to one rather than zero, works good now, thanks guys!

plasticpanzers

Post by plasticpanzers » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:28 am

sots 1.8 and have the occasional MARS crash (mouse freezes and you get the
"chirp of doom" from the speaker). I have defraged and updated all drivers
and MS info but this is a problem about 1/3 of my games after turn 200 or so.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

*cough*

Post by silvaril » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 am

Heya

plasticpanzers wrote:sots 1.8 and have the occasional MARS crash (mouse freezes and you get the
"chirp of doom" from the speaker). I have defraged and updated all drivers
and MS info but this is a problem about 1/3 of my games after turn 200 or so.

What size fleets?

Disclaimer:

Kirill

SotS Multiplayer error: can't host multiplayer

Post by Kirill » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Apologize for bad English, i'm from russia.

Problem is the following:
I can't host multiplayer.
When i create game by Internet, game displays a message "Initializing Game ...", then I find myself in the main menu.
When i create game by Lan is the same, only without message.

I have "Sword of the Stars Complete Collection" purchased through Steam.
OS windows 7 64x.
And Firewall includes rules for this game.

Filippe999

Post by Filippe999 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:09 pm

My problem is different, in strategic view(where you see your planets and stars to explore) all object, including the UI on the left flash, together with the planets and stars on the strategic, the "flashing" stops if i go to the research, build, design, political view in 3D view of world, in tactical view everything looks normally, there is no blur any more on textures after i changed my integrated chipset to balanced more replacing Fast.
The issue persists after reinstalling the game and required software. any ideas?
i run Argos naval yard v1.8.2
Note: just tested different viewing modes and noted something peculiar, the flashing of objects inview stops when i toggle off fleet lines.
For now i'll have to pay attention where i send my fleets to
“To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow.” - Metrodorus of Chios (400BC)

“If two ships are enough to do the job; bring ten.” - Steel

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:30 pm

Most likely because your integrated chipset isn't fully DirectX 9 - compatible, probably a shader support issue. (Try a higher shader setting, weirdly it worked for me.)

For a long time, you couldn't hope to run (recent) 3D games on integrated graphic chipsets, partly (IIRC) because they didn't have the necessary hardware, partly because they were WAY too slow. This has (quite dramatically) changed with the recent Intel Haswell chips : most 3D games actually can run at playable framerates (though often with graphic settings dialed down).

Return to “Technical Support”