MP Direct Connect Issues

Tech support. This is tech support. My name is Ernie.
R2dical

MP Direct Connect Issues

Post by R2dical » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi there,

Myself and a few other members have been playing MP via direct connect. But we have a strange recurring issue. Sometimes we can connect, sometimes it just times out :? then we can join eachothers host games. I have an NAT router, and so does the other guy, we set up port forwarding, made firewall exceptions and set up sots.ini. Like I said sometimes it works and others not. We thought we had the problem sorted and now we cannot connect for a few days. What could be the problem?

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: MP Direct Connect Issues

Post by silvaril » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Heya

Many and varied are the ways that network connections can absent themselves from the desired results... ;)

PC based firewall software can play a part, whether in attempting to protect you autonomously, or due to folks not correlating the information given with the actions taken.

Then there are the NAT device issues from your ISP connection.

Another issue is that many ISP's object to residential customers setting up "servers" on their subscriptions. Usually this is defined by the ISP as unrequested traffic going to the subscriber as opposed to traffic returned to requests by the subscriber.
While many ISP's tend to picky only about selected ports such as HTTP/S or SMTP et al, others go further.
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for your reply silvari, strangely not long after I posted this we got it working again :googly:

After 2 hrs of trying random things it just connected and I'm not sure why, I doubt it was anything we did though. I'm sure this will happen again if history repeats.

PC based firewall software can play a part, whether in attempting to protect you autonomously, or due to folks not correlating the information given with the actions taken.
We looked into this aspect quite extensively, due to the intermittent nature of the connection I suspected this, but we disabled it all at one point to no avail.

Then there are the NAT device issues from your ISP connection.

Another issue is that many ISP's object to residential customers setting up "servers" on their subscriptions. Usually this is defined by the ISP as unrequested traffic going to the subscriber as opposed to traffic returned to requests by the subscriber.
While many ISP's tend to picky only about selected ports such as HTTP/S or SMTP et al, others go further.
If this is the case why does it work sometimes and others not? Could this be related to specific IP addresses? It worked after I reset my router and got a new IP, amongst other things.

Is there a methodical way to troubleshoot the issue when it happens? We play quite regularly and right now it feels like we are swinging in the dark with this :(

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

*shrug*

Post by silvaril » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Heya

Probably the best thing to try straight away the next time you have issues is that Modem reset.

If you want to be more technical about it:
Take note of your pre-reset IP address
Reset the modem
Take note of your post-reset IP address
Compare pre- & post- IP address to see if it changed
Start SotS and Test MP connection

If the IP address doesn't change, and things now work, the issue is likely that the Modem is hanging in some obscure way.
You might try borrowing a different type of modem and testing further.

If the IP address did change and things now work, the modem is still the most likely suspect, but it's harder to prove.

If the game connection still doesn't work, then reset the other end's modem, just in case ;)
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for the breakdown silvaril! I will do this next time this happens and post our findings.

Return to “Technical Support”