SOTS multiplayer "host not ready" through gameranger

Tech support. This is tech support. My name is Ernie.
Bomtaker01

SOTS multiplayer "host not ready" through gameranger

Post by Bomtaker01 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:48 am

Ok well me and a friend both have the SOTS:complete collection on steam. I bought my own copy and then bought both him and someone else a copy so we could play together. so far we have tried hammachi and they could not direct connect and instead crashed. We then tried going all out and opened the ports with the same issue. So now we have tried game ranger and so far that seems to be having the most success but he is still unable to connect and is greeted by a "Host not ready" message. is there something that we are missing?

BlueTemplar

Re: SOTS multiplayer "host not ready" through gameranger

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:58 pm

IIRC I had this problem and "solved" it by using Tunngle instead.

Bomtaker01

Post by Bomtaker01 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Ok a Quick update, we tried using tunngle and the same problem as hammachi revealed itself, i probably should have been more specific about that aswell, the issue with hammachi was that as soon as they went to enter my ip the game would freeze then they would have to close the game, this same thing has jus so happened with tunngle aswell.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Okay, so which IP were they using? Your Hamachi or tunngle IP, your local IP, or your public IP?

A quick explanation: Hamachi and tunngle both set up virtual private networks (VPNs), and assign a virtual adapter on your computer's IP stack to handle traffic on those networks. Pretty sure Hamachi shows you this IP when you mouse over the icon in your task tray; if not, you can open a command window and type 'ipconfig /all' and look for the Hamachi adapter IP address. The other thing about those is that each of the other players will need to be connected to the same VPN, whether Hamachi or tunngle. If you're all connected, I think you should be able to play in LAN mode.

The local IP is (generally) a 192.168.x.x address (some routers default to 172.16.x.x, but I haven't seen one in a while), while the public IP is what you find by going to 'whatismyip.com' or similar sites. If you don't have a router, your public IP will be the same as your computer's IP.

Sorry if I'm reiterating information you already know, but I used to do tech support for an ISP. Does it show? :)

If you'd like, I can try to help you work through this problem so you and your friends can enjoy some MP action.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Quick update on multiplayer. For the last...2 months or so, maybe longer, selecting Join Game in Multiplayer freezes the computer in its current state for 1-3 minutes. If you tab out between pushing the Join Game button and the freeze, you can't tab back in until that timer expires, but the rest of your running programs will work fine. There's no visible cause that I can see, other than perhaps trying to communicate with servers that aren't there.

Either way, it will unfreeze, and works perfectly after that. Everyone I've played with has noticed it. So have your friends wait through the freeze, and then you should be able to play fine.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:29 pm

IIRC with Tunngle, we didn't have to input the IP manually, as the host game was shown in the list of LAN games.

Return to “Technical Support”