Steam 4gb Patch Workaround

Tech support. This is tech support. My name is Ernie.
ColonelSandersLite

Steam 4gb Patch Workaround

Post by ColonelSandersLite » Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 am

So, there's a longstanding issue where the 4gb patch cannot be applied in the steam version of the game via normal means. Here's a workaround for that issue:

1: Download the 1.8.0 patch for the CD version of the game.

2: Unfortunately, this patch is of the self extracting type and will not install onto a copy of sots that is already patched to 1.8. If you open the patch with an archive manager of your choice ( I recommend 7-zip), you can get to the file you need. The file that you want is "Sword of the Stars.exe". It may be nested into the archive a few levels deep, depending on where you got the patch from. Be *sure* you have the correct file!

3: Make a backup of the copy of "Sword of the Stars.exe" file located in your sots install directory. I recommend just renaming it to "Sword of the Stars - steam original.exe"

4: Copy the "Sword of the Stars.exe" from the 1.8.0 patch archive into your sots install directory.

5: Apply the 4gb patch to the new copy of the "Sword of the Stars.exe". Details here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17951

6: It will now work with all steam features if you launch it through steam.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Steam 4gb Patch Workaround

Post by Mecron » Tue May 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks!

GantradiseDracos

Re: Steam 4gb Patch Workaround

Post by GantradiseDracos » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:30 am

for anyone lazy, got a freshly LAA'd .exe here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/h819hdphi ... 0Stars.exe
My forum name is a grammer flubb. it should read Gantradies Dracos.
ME: ok, ive been listening to you guys for the last 3 minutes. question: what is the difference between a stack overflow and underflow,anyway? Adam: *beat*ok.Imagine you have a cat. If you were to feed the cat so much food that it explodes, that's a stack overflow. A stack underflow is where you try to take food out of the cat, and keep taking food out, until you take the cat out of itself.

Return to “Technical Support”