My First Run Through

Got questions? We've got answers.
RooksBailey

My First Run Through

Post by RooksBailey » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:25 am

With the news that Paradox picked up SotS, I decided to give the demo a try (I trust the quality of Paradox offerings). I must say that I am having fun! SotS reminds me of a cross between Sins of a Solar Empire (my favorite sci-fi game) and GalCiv. Or perhaps a better description is Space: Total War. :)

My first game was as the humans. It didn't go well. Financial mismanagement on my part seriously hurt my tech research for more than a few turns. Then, I bungled into a war with the Liir twice. After the first time, I got them to offer a peace treaty. Then I attacked them again by mistake and found myself at war again. :(

Strange thing was, after the second round of hostilities, the Liir seemed to have disappeared. I avoided them and they avoided me. Without warning, they eventually showed up with a massive 75 ship armada at my homeworld! This floored me because, up to that point, the largest fleet I encountered from an enemy was maybe seven or eight vessels. Small stuff. So small, that I never had a fleet larger than 10 ships as I never met a formidable enemy force. I don't know how the AI works yet, but it seems to me that maybe when the Liir seemed to have disappeared that they actually were building this massive force? Is the AI that smart? Or was this more of an AI cheat (i.e., instant super-fleet)?

Worse, the ships they arrived with were very powerful. Again, previously, we cut every enemy vessel to pieces. But these ships cut my vessels to pieces in seconds with two or three shots. I don't think the vessels were cruisers, because they didn't seem that bigger than my destroyers. I just think they had great weaponry.

Questions:

1) I see there is an "intel" screen, but I only can get intel on my ships. How do I get intel on the enemy ships?

2) Infrastructure and terraforming: what does investment in each do? I am guessing terraforming makes the planet more livable and increases the pop growth. But infrastructure?

3) I finally did get access to cruisers and discovered a refinery ship. How does that work?

As my Human game is largely doomed at this point (I lost my capital which has economically crippled me), I started a new game with the taarkas (sorry if I don't have these names down correctly yet :D ). Its early yet, but I just had a lot of fun attacking an alien remnant (is that what it was called?).

BTW: Can you pick which planet is your capital?

Great game. I am sorry I waited so long to give it a try (well, to be honest, I did try the original demo back in '06, which didn't impress me. I guess a lot of changes have been made since then).

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Mostly, just read the Wiki... ;)

Post by silvaril » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:31 am

Heya

RooksBailey wrote:I don't know how the AI works yet, but it seems to me that maybe when the Liir seemed to have disappeared that they actually were building this massive force? Is the AI that smart? Or was this more of an AI cheat (i.e., instant super-fleet)?

It is likely that the Liir were either at peace with everyone, and just building ships for when hostilities resumed, or that they were "defending" against another empire and switched fronts during another round of NAP negotiations.

The AI will continue to build ships even when at peace, particularly if the total spend on fleet support is not significant when compared to the revenues of its empire.

The AI doesn't cheat, it only has the same information as a human player does. However it can shave the hair far more finely than most human players... :)

RooksBailey wrote:Worse, the ships they arrived with were very powerful. Again, previously, we cut every enemy vessel to pieces. But these ships cut my vessels to pieces in seconds with two or three shots. I don't think the vessels were cruisers, because they didn't seem that bigger than my destroyers. I just think they had great weaponry.

Dang fishies are the folk most likely to pwn the Tech tree...

RooksBailey wrote:1) I see there is an "intel" screen, but I only can get intel on my ships. How do I get intel on the enemy ships?

A technology called Data Correlation needs to be researched first.

RooksBailey wrote:2) Infrastructure and terraforming: what does investment in each do? I am guessing terraforming makes the planet more livable and increases the pop growth. But infrastructure?

Infrastructure increases the amount of Industrial Output ( IO ) the Colony creates each turn using renewable resources. IO is used to build more Infrastructure, terraform the planet and produce ships.
IO is also essential to maintaining trade routes and, when you have researched trade, the available IO is reduced by the amount of Infrastructure utilised to produce trade goods and tourist items instead of warships...

Terraforming the Climate Hazard of a system increases both the Population Maximum of your Colony and the Population Growth rate per turn, as well as reducing the per turn cost of maintaining the colony.

RooksBailey wrote:3) I finally did get access to cruisers and discovered a refinery ship. How does that work?

Refinery ships are effectively Tankers that can refill their fuel capacity by stripping resources from an uninhabited system.
Once in an uninhabited system, the option to Refine becomes available from the menu under the Options interface button.

RooksBailey wrote:I just had a lot of fun attacking an alien remnant (is that what it was called?).

That and more on the Wiki at:
http://sots.rorschach.net/Unknown_Menace

RooksBailey wrote:BTW: Can you pick which planet is your capital?

Not when using the standard maps.

Some of the options available when using custom built maps are supposed to allow you to specifically choose the starting worlds, however there seems there might be an issue with that option at the moment...

RooksBailey wrote:I guess a lot of changes have been made since then).

Oh... a few... ;)
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

RooksBailey

Re: My First Run Through

Post by RooksBailey » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! It helped!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:47 pm

welcome to the boards, Rooks!

RooksBailey

Post by RooksBailey » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:33 am

Thanks! You'll probably be seeing more of me. :D

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:30 am

There is so much on the boards too that you could spend hours and hours reading up before you reach the excellent Wiki! :wink:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:45 am

definetly a lot of signal here...some noise though as well :wink: As always I think newcomers are best served by just asking stuff right out and not killing themselves to make sure it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere.

RooksBailey

Post by RooksBailey » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:33 am

Mecron wrote:definetly a lot of signal here...some noise though as well :wink: As always I think newcomers are best served by just asking stuff right out and not killing themselves to make sure it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere.

At last, somebody with wisdom! Nothing drives me crazy like those forums that reprimand new players for asking "a question that has been asked before." Now, I can understand some mods getting mildly annoyed if there is a sticky that newbs are refusing to check out, but other than that, it serves no purpose. What is a forum for but to facilitate communication? Are only the earliest forum members entitled to ask a question? If you don't want people posting, don't even have a forum, just have a wiki.

This has always been a pet peeve with me because I have helped out with forums and have encountered different people asking the same question over and over again. Who cares! I am glad to help out newbs. Not only that, because the people browsing a forum can vary wildly, sometimes a duplicate question can trigger different answers that are as valid as the standard reply. I rather have repetitive questions and an active forum than a neat forum but no activity.

So thanks for posting that. Such a belief is becoming increasingly rare today....

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:44 am

Shhhhh! I am the big ogre here...don't let them start thinking I am all understanding...you'll blow my cover :thumbsup:

Seriously though this is one of the most helpful bunches I have seen...There is a lil bit of a "heard that" vibe sometimes in the suggestion forum but other than that I have seen people here graciously leap to answer a question I know for a fact they have answered a half dozen times before.

Welcome to the gang :D

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:02 pm

Welcome to the Sots Universe rooks!...If you ever fancy a quick multi-player game ....drop me a line....
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

RooksBailey

Post by RooksBailey » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:48 pm

balti knights wrote:Welcome to the Sots Universe rooks!...If you ever fancy a quick multi-player game ....drop me a line....

Cool. I'm still wrapping my head around single player, but I want to give multi a try one day.

On an unrelated note, I have a question about colonizing planets. Getting a planet to the point where it is profitable takes more than a little time and a lot of money...which is as it should be. Problem is, I usually wind up colonizing too many planets - basically, putting colonists on any rock that can support them. Eventually, my budget goes into freefall and I am forced to ditch some of the less productive colonies to balance the books.

How do you decided what habitable planet is worth the investment? Clearly, planting them all doesn't work. :)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:25 am

lower hazard better...stay away from anything over 200 to start with unless you have no choice and then research some bio tech. And use multiple colonizers.

Laura

Post by Laura » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:35 am

RooksBailey wrote:Or perhaps a better description is Space: Total War. :)

That's a rather fitting description except it's Space: Total War with an AI that will clean your clock :wink:
Welcome :)

RooksBailey

Post by RooksBailey » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:58 am

Mecron wrote:lower hazard better...stay away from anything over 200 to start with unless you have no choice and then research some bio tech. And use multiple colonizers.

Multiple colonizers...you mean just keep shipping people there? Hmm...didn't realize I could continue to send colonizers to colonized planets. That would be a great way to get the unruly surplus population off my homeworld (just call me Scrooge). :D

As for the TW AI...don't even get me started. :roll:

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Live and Learn... ;)

Post by silvaril » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:08 am

Heya

Generally, anything with a Hazard Rating less than 300 will allow for Colonist growth to balance Infrastructure development.

Anything less than HR 150-200 should be colonised ASAP, as the cost per turn for developing the Colony is ( relatively ) minimal.

More than HR 300, and you either focus on Terraforming until it drops below HR 300, or wait until Biomes arrive ( which are not a Core tech... ;) )

Check the cost per turn for creating the colony in the system info area, and decide if your economy will notice the impact of it.
If the cost is less than 10K, then just do it.
Less than 30K and check for how much of your economy is currently involved in colony maintenance but try to fit it in.
More than 50K and you should wait until your colony maintenance is less than ~half your total income.

30-50K is the itch area where you check your economy and the colony location.

You can balance up to 2/3rds to 3/4's of your income on colony maintenance, but it isn't recommended when learning the game.
Although, if those 3/4's of your income are all colonies with a cost per turn of under 10K, then the sadorandomizer has something nasty for you around the corner... :twisted:

And yeah, you can land more colonisers on any colony. While sometimes the impact on population is minimal, such as when population is already over 1 million, the boost to Infrastructure from even DE colonisers is sometimes useful in those situations...
( such as when you are trying to "restore" Infra on a colony during prolonged engagements... ;) )
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Return to “Demo Talk”