Do we really need the full game?

Got questions? We've got answers.

Do we need the full version of the game? Or is the demo good enough?

Yes! yes! yes! yes! I neeeeeeed the full game
73%
Naaa. this is perfect!
2%
Mecron is going to ban SirTomster for even suggesting this!
25%

Total votes: 96

ckessel

Re: Do we really need the full game?

Post by ckessel » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:50 pm

SirTomster wrote:Do we really need the full game. Demo is quite fun. Yes it has its limitations but hey it is still fun! And it is free! And free is always good!

:twisted:

To be honest, I don't like the demo much, but I did order the full game because I can see the promise in it.

I think, sadly, the demo probably did a disservice to the full game as a side effect of some of the demo limitations. The demo makes it look like a grunt rush game where mass production is the bulk of things.

It would have been very cool if the demo could have limited you to a small number of Cruisers (maybe 2-3) so you could really start to see where combat was going to go in the full game.

dscrilla

Post by dscrilla » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:53 pm

yea, i need my genocidal space whales, in crusers, with cloaking

SirTomster
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by SirTomster » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:16 pm

I am glad the vote has gone the way it has.. for awhile it was running even on if I was going to be banned!
-SirTomster-

__roach__

At the risk of being flamed....

Post by __roach__ » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:04 am

..... is that it? I was quite disappointed with the demo. The research was VERY limited. The colony management was pretty much non-existant and the diplomacy was .... well.... a joke.
I do hope there is more to Sword of the stars than the demo. PLEASE tell me this isn't a more or less "shootem up" strategy game.

Sadly I still can't find a space strategy 4x game that come close to Moo2.

:(

Omega_Paladin

Post by Omega_Paladin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:12 am

So why aren't you playing Moo2? As far as I know the colony management and diplomacy will be actually the same in the full game, so from the sounds of it you are out of luck roach-e my boy. Sorry, better luck next time when you play WHEEL OF FISH!
"I must use your vulgar modern vernacular to properly compound insult upon indignity and state: this blows."

President of Calenders of the Kerberos Team's Beards Fan Club

__roach__

Post by __roach__ » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:19 am

Yep ok I can play moo2 all my life but I really want something different which hasn't materialised over the past 10 years!!!
It's a given tha Sword of the Stars is a fun game and I do like it but it's not very deep is it? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the full game is deeper. Please tell me it's deeper cos if it is I'll go out and buy it now.

Omega_Paladin

Post by Omega_Paladin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:20 am

The combat will be much much much deeper due to the fact that we demo players only have like 20 out of 150 techs and the smallest and least verastile of the three ship classes. I don't think the empire management will get much deeper though.
"I must use your vulgar modern vernacular to properly compound insult upon indignity and state: this blows."

President of Calenders of the Kerberos Team's Beards Fan Club

__roach__

Post by __roach__ » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:29 am

Cool. So there will be biger ships and more tech (much more?).

I can live with that I guess. I think the only thing close to moo2 is probably Galactic Civilizations 2. Still that's not that good and multi player isn't on the menu yet. Don't get me wrong I don't hate any other game except moo2 but sure SOMEONE can come up with a cool game with real time combat like SotS and have the colony management of moo2 as well as the depth and strength of the AI in diplomacy (that hasn't happned yet).

I want the ultimate in Space strategy 4x! Damn it. I will to give up my real life and live as god in the ultimate 4x universe.

Hmmm I heard that Eve Online is quite good.... may check that out.....

mumble .... mumble....

Wanders off mumbling.... mooo2...... hmmmm.......moo3 (yuk!).. moo4 maybe....mumble....

grinningman

Post by grinningman » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:45 am

__roach__ wrote:Cool. So there will be biger ships and more tech (much more?).

I can live with that I guess. I think the only thing close to moo2 is probably Galactic Civilizations 2. Still that's not that good and multi player isn't on the menu yet. Don't get me wrong I don't hate any other game except moo2 but sure SOMEONE can come up with a cool game with real time combat like SotS and have the colony management of moo2 as well as the depth and strength of the AI in diplomacy (that hasn't happned yet).

I want the ultimate in Space strategy 4x! Damn it. I will to give up my real life and live as god in the ultimate 4x universe.

Hmmm I heard that Eve Online is quite good.... may check that out.....

mumble .... mumble....

Wanders off mumbling.... mooo2...... hmmmm.......moo3 (yuk!).. moo4 maybe....mumble....

For me and others, the ultimate space 4X was MoO1. I don't want much more colony management than there was in MoO1, and SotS is perfect in that regard. I definitely don't want to give up my real life, so being able to finish a game in a few hours is also a plus.

And hell yes, I need the full game :)

Spoon

Post by Spoon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:40 am

SirTomster wrote:dead link try again!

I am not afeared! I have a wave motion gun to fry anyone I want!

you beware!

acursed.

Take2
Boobies

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:46 pm

Hmm...diplomacy in moo2...hold on a sec...

:bangdesk:
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

__roach__

Post by __roach__ » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:52 pm

yes diplomacy in moo2 did also not live up to expectations but there's not too many 4x games that do. I don't see why it's such a problem to code good AI and have the diplomacy aspect expanded on. I *think* the only game that came close was Empire of the Fading Sun though as I understand it.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:30 pm

roach define "diplomacy expanded" I know its a good catch phrase...but perhaps tell us what you exactly mean. Taking into account things like "diplomatic victory" is really a pretend feature that if you called it "When there are only allies left, the player wins", it would be in the "Well, Duh!" category instead of the feature category :wink:

__roach__

Post by __roach__ » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:30 pm

By Expanded Diplomacy I mean things like Trade, perhaps deeper tactical level in drawing up the universe against one player or the next. There are things like swapping planets to consolidate your empires. Trade ships for tech or sell some fleets to them if they are in bad shape against another player. What about propping up one player who acts like a buffer between you and an aggresive player. Maybe being able to GIVE tech away or money or planets.
I totally agree that to win by diplomacy is crap and I wouldn't want that option myself. I just like the idea of making an environment where I can "feel" like it's real - the environment is absorbing, like the AI is taking me seriously. Maybe I could threaten them to give me a planet/system.
Maybe I'm asking for too much and this could make it into a follow up or a later add-on but I find those sort of "extras" increase the depth and replayability of the whole game.
I'd be willing to go into even further detail if it helps but don't want to bore you. I think you get my gist.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:09 pm

thats fine...I was just curious what you meant exactly...Stuff like planet trading already exists...you just have to do it manually;) And you can give money away as well as a percentage of your research for a turn. (there is a whole long reason why we thinkg "sending researchers" over for a turn is more realistic and intersting than "here's a laser cannon, bye!" :wink: )

Selling ships is problematical as the combat system is based on what tech you already have...a traded ship could have stuff you don't know how to make and that would cause errors :wink:

Return to “Demo Talk”