Some Newbi Questions

Got questions? We've got answers.
UncleJoe

Some Newbi Questions

Post by UncleJoe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi, I'm playing the Demo while waiting for the full SotS box to arrive. Very pleased and impressed so far, but I'm curious about some things.
1) Sometimes (on a system screen) Planet population and/or Imperial Savings will display a red number. Next turn it's back to green. Why?
2) What's the significance of a system with a red X on it?
3) Why do systems keep flashing after a combat, sometimes for a very long time?
4) Does the full game allow you to turn off or limit random events? I sure seem to get a lot of them and often my ships and system get toasted.
[u]Interesting[/u]: In one game played against another human (didn't know that was possible!) and lost badly. Somebody, one of the developers I guess, has read a lot of (old) science fiction to know who Gully Foyle was.
:lol:
Thanks!

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:00 pm

Welcome to the community! :D

1) This means that you had negative income this turn.
2) Your scouts reached that star but didn't live long enough to provide any detailed data. :)
3) It marks stars with recent combats. If you know exactly where Beta Corvi or Avalon is even in a pretty large game - you don't need this. :)
4) Yup. In a full game there's a slider on game setup screen which affects this.

Cheers!

UncleJoe

Some More Newby Questions

Post by UncleJoe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:36 pm

Thanks Eleahan. I appreciate that. I don't know who invented forums, but he/she is on my favorite people list. BTW, after posting my questions I checked out one of those "X" systems and found out (the hard way)(again!) why they're marked. Oh well, wait'll next time...

On another topic/question, I guess the grid in the manage fleets screen is for setting formations (as in Space Empires) in the full game. I can wait. Meanwhile, is there a way to ADD ships to a fleet? I can take them out, one at a time, but they form a new fleet each time. That doesn't seem right.

And, Part 2, when building ships, is there a way to assign them to a new fleet - instead of just adding them to the existing fleet? For example, if I have 10 ships in Alpha Fleet and that's all I want, how do I get the next ship(s) to go into a newly formed Beta Fleet?

Thanks again.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Demo still working... :)

Post by silvaril » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:46 pm

Heya

1) Also, if people/resources show red, they decreased that turn, green means an increase.... :)

Placing ships on the grid requires having a CnC ship, which requires that you research Battle Computers, then design and build a CnC ship, all of which is available in the demo... ;)

Ships only travel in "fleets", even if there is only one ship in a fleet. :)
You can drag and drop ships from one fleet to another if both are in the same star system, either in the main screen or in the fleet screen.
You can also drag and drop one fleet on top of another to add all ships in one fleet to the second.

Full version displays an asterisk next to the fleet that newly built ships will enter upon completion.
If no fleet has that asterisk, then a new fleet will be created for new ships.
Currently no way to choose that fleet.
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

UncleJoe

Post by UncleJoe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:30 pm

Thanks Silvaril...that helps. I gotta go try it right now. I've been crushed 4 games in a row, but this time things looks different; I *may* have a chance to beat it.

Return to “Demo Talk”