Few questions about demo version

Got questions? We've got answers.
Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:15 pm

turn limit DEFINETLY being explored as the "PLay as long as you like but realize its limited" did not have the joyous effect we were looking for :wink:

Hans Lemurson

Post by Hans Lemurson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:56 pm

It's a fine line you walk between having someone "wanting more" and "feeling limited".
-OMNES CORAM LEMURE CEDITE-
:idea: Just like the wOmBaT which ever yet continues climbing the Karakorums in vain, so indeed is absurdism a way of life. :idea:
(Timed Notes,)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:58 pm

and saying..."Here is a piece of candy...you can put it into any opening but we are hoping you choose your mouth." :P

Sofaspud

Post by Sofaspud » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:02 pm

That's... a rather disturbing image you've got going on there, Mecron.

Anyway, don't get me wrong -- I'm enjoying the hell out of the demo as it currently stands. It's just that I, personally, would much prefer a turn limit vs. a limited tech tree or racial selection.

As for what the turn limit should *be*... I'm not sure what others' experience has been, but from my endless playing of the demo, I'd say 100 seems like a nice round fair number, assuming the star limit stays the same. It's enough time to explore a good chunk of the tech tree, and go completely down 1 or 2 branches, but it's not enough to play a full game.

(Well, to be honest, you can apparently DE rush or plague rush and finish up by 50 - 75, but that pretty much caps your tech level ANYway.)

At turn 100 I'm usually just getting my war machine truly underway. IF I don't go plague, right now I'm wrapping up the games I win at about the 175 - 225 mark (plague against the computer hardly seems fair, honestly... maybe that's a demo limit, though).

I'm pretty sure I could get to dreadnaughts and so on by turn 100, but -- unless I'm COMPLETELY mis-managing my resources somehow -- I don't think I could get all the yummy goodies by that point. I'd have to start a new game and concentrate on just THAT one to see it, then repeat for the next yummy, and so on. Which is great for a demo, IMO.

I dunno. I might not be the best on this subject because I've already decided to buy (hey... psst... release the CE already, will ya? :)), but that's my 2c anyway.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:25 am

lol thanks for the input spud and the support! And I wasn't really refering to you as much as when we first released the demo there was a lot of "We hate limited turns...we would rather play as long as we want with less!" And so we did so even though most industry folks think you are crazy to give away unending gameplay. Perversely enough though then we got..."This game kinda sucks, I played for 800 turns and its just about making destroyers."

Our only reponse we could find was ... "No, sir...the candy is not meant to go up your nose." :P

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:03 am

I quite liked the limited but unending gameplay...

While it is rather a bit more effort and somewhat annoying, you could include the graphics and blurb for the whole tech tree, but none of the actual benefits thereof. Maybe let them build greyed out dreads in the ship design screen, covered in equally greyed out antimatter cannons, to dangle the "you could get this shiny thing" feeling rather than the odd lack of stuff the demo has currently.

Suspect it's rather too much effort though - limited turn times are okay as well for this kind of thing, as long as you can play as many games as you like to 75 or whatever it is... I hate games which are realtime limited to 2 hours play, or 200 turns total, ESPECIALLY when such demos count tutorial as gametime.

Panthera Leo

Re: Few questions about demo version

Post by Panthera Leo » Sat May 17, 2008 8:01 pm

Having had the demo turn me on to buy the game (Just waiting for it to in hopefully less then 3-weeks.) I rather enjoyed the tech limit over the turn limit.

Even if my 'candy' was watered down, I still had time to explore the game, and it's over-arching design. As apposed to other game demos that I almost immediately turn and tell me "Is the candy sweet...NOW GIVE IT BACK! You can't every have any more every again, until you pay us for candy you barely had time to even smell."

That is to say, I don't mind a limit, so long as that limit isn't enough to just learn the interface, I'd like time to know what I'm doing so I have the full opportunity to smell the roses.

The Magus
Doomsayer

Re:

Post by The Magus » Mon May 19, 2008 5:03 pm

Mecron wrote:lol thanks for the input spud and the support! And I wasn't really refering to you as much as when we first released the demo there was a lot of "We hate limited turns...we would rather play as long as we want with less!" And so we did so even though most industry folks think you are crazy to give away unending gameplay. Perversely enough though then we got..."This game kinda sucks, I played for 800 turns and its just about making destroyers."

Our only reponse we could find was ... "No, sir...the candy is not meant to go up your nose." :P

Don't forget that emitters are the be-all end-all of the entire game and make the rest of it obsolete ;)
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Return to “Demo Talk”