Is detailed ship information available?

Got questions? We've got answers.
Sofaspud

Is detailed ship information available?

Post by Sofaspud » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:08 pm

(I'm keeping this in Demo because that's all I have right now, but if the answer is "Yes, in the full game," that's cool. :))

Many times I've thought to myself, "Y'know, it's hella cool that the AI actually names their ship designs, rather than endless variants on Armor, Tanker, etc." But I'm starting to realize that it's also a hindrance. Here's why:

I want to tailor my designs to be able to inflict the most damage to THEIR designs (or, alternatively, survive their attacks longer). Pretty standard tactics. But "DE SFS Hood Mk 3" tells me nothing. That's fair. However, during combat, perhaps, or after combat, I *should* have an idea of what a ship actually IS. I can recognize the different sections and weapons visually, if that's the only option, but how do I 'attach' that to a ship name? I can't see ship names in combat!

Intelligence is ALWAYS important. I should be able to tell from the ship list what sort of fight I'm going to be facing, based on the numbers and types of ships they've fielded.

This hits on multiplayer, too; in previous 4X titles (mostly Stars! if anyone remembers that), it was sometimes a hell of a lot of fun to switch around your ship names just to confuse the other player -- if your Starseed is normally a colonizer, but you changed it to a (for example) dreadnaught, he's going to be caught with his pants down.

(Of course, he can do the same to you, but still.)

SO, my question is, is there any way to find out what a particular design's name is, at least at that point in time?

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:16 pm

That tech is called "Data Correlation", its in BoB...

Hans Lemurson

Post by Hans Lemurson » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:54 am

Until then it's careful observation and a notebook. (With a bit of deduction too.)
-OMNES CORAM LEMURE CEDITE-
:idea: Just like the wOmBaT which ever yet continues climbing the Karakorums in vain, so indeed is absurdism a way of life. :idea:
(Timed Notes,)

Return to “Demo Talk”