Map Display and Sensor Mode

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.
brisub

Map Display and Sensor Mode

Post by brisub » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Hopefully, I'm not re-spamming earlier ideas.

1) I've had a lot of difficulty using 3-D mode. It's more realistic, but I lose track of what is close and what isn't. A 2-D depiction of 3-D would be really nice. Meaning that the stars show on their X-Y position with tails pointing above or below to show how far they are from the X-Y axis in the Z. Much like what you see on Sensor Mode, if that makes sense. I'm basically reverting to 2-D mode after every attempt in 3-D because I find it cumbersome to have to measure range individually every time.

2) Sensor displays show far less than what is available with 1970's technology, to say nothing of what one would find in the CIC of modern warships. Specific nice-to-haves would be:

a) Brackets on visual mode that show where sensors see something; maybe comes when sensor integration techs hit

b) The ship graphic with weapons in sensor mode to see range rings; I've been able to overcome this by mousing over the weapon in Vis mode and then shifting to sensor (the weapon rings persist)

Anyway, I'm a nOOb of the worst degree and will probably have to shift to playing on EASY to get anywhere. Just when I think I'm on top of the Galaxy :snooty: and looking down upon the unfortunate others, a fleet of 40+ shows on sensors and my entire fleet couldn't deal with it, even if they were together at the affected system :shock: . Chalk up another epic fail on my profile. :(
:sots1: Bri

How do I know I'm about to be annihilated? The turn count reaches 250...

Warcat

Re: Map Display and Sensor Mode

Post by Warcat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Researching Advanced CnC will give you some more sensor screen love.
BTW I mean that reinforcement list (providing you have an active CnC ship) and weapon panel (for weapon arc, hold fire order ecc...) will be displayed and you can issue orders to your ships.

MS_Cowboy

Post by MS_Cowboy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:33 pm

Do you know those animated pictures which produce a 3D image by rapidly switching between what should be the right- and left-eye angle? Or about those animals that bob their head back and forth to achieve depth perception with a single eye? The best way to visually process 3D data in a 2D format is to repeatedly change the perspective.

In other words, the best way to handle 3D maps -- and probably the key difference in habit between people who can't handle 3D maps and people who can -- is to be constantly rotating the map. Don't just sit there and look at a static clump of dots, measuring out each one to try to figure out the invisible dimension. Always be rotating, always be shifting the view. Look at everything from two or three angles. When you want to get a look at the distance between two systems, rotate it so they're equidistant from the camera and therefore the line between them is 'flat'. When idly taking in the strategic view, simply wiggle the camera back and forth or in a small circle. Once you grant yourself perception of depth, it becomes fairly easy.
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

brisub

Post by brisub » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:12 pm

MS_Cowboy wrote:The best way to visually process 3D data in a 2D format is to repeatedly change the perspective.

I will try that and see if it helps build my lacking skills.
:awesome:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:07 am

thats part of why the map is target centric instead of pannable...always having a clear center while you do a minor rotation should become a second nature way of dealing with the 3-D aspect

brisub

Post by brisub » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Mecron wrote:thats part of why the map is target centric instead of pannable...always having a clear center while you do a minor rotation should become a second nature way of dealing with the 3-D aspect

Short kudos - I like that so many of the features of SOTS were made with intent in that there's a reason behind the approach. Anyway, my 3D skills continue to be lacking, but they are slowly improving, so it's probably a matter of working with it. I'm using disc for the setup for now, and will add complexity as I go.

Grunthex

Post by Grunthex » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:56 pm

In terms of the 3D distance question, in addition to moving the camera to get a better idea, remember you can always click and drag between two systems to have the game show the distance. I tend to often take a target planet, click it, and drag over various nearby systems of mine, to see which is closest. (Or vice versa, click my system, and drag various nearby systems to see where the fast assaults might come from)

Return to “Suggestions”