Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.5a

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Luke Skywalker

Re: Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.5a

Post by Luke Skywalker » Fri May 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Yes, this works :D
You are the best!

Relax please, at least I am more than happy with the fusion tech start.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 pm

I get the same crash here - so that's good. Now just process of elimination to see why it happens at all :P

FIXED IT!

This is the updated standard master tech list:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5inuyaoip ... hList.tech

If you want to play from fission age, then this is the file you want in your TechTree folder.

I'm updating MediaFire to have the updated version.

I'm not updating version number for this - so the new link will be for 2.5a which is fixed, but you can't tell except if you have this version - it doesn't crash when you create a game :D

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:59 am

I tried to start up a game with the 100% chances file, and it also crashed on start.

EDIT: Thanks for this, by the way.

Delta of Isaire

Post by Delta of Isaire » Sat May 20, 2017 6:23 am

You are the best, Alpha. Thanks for fixing it :)

Knecht Ruprecht

Post by Knecht Ruprecht » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 am

Just tried out your mod for the first time and I already like it alot! This will again tie me to SOTS for at least a few weeks, I guess. :D

Can't imagine any other game that got me that much bang for the buck (came to SOTS after the Complete Collection was already quite cheap).

On a side note: Is the muzzle effect for the light autocannon supposed to be just a line of purple rings? Or was that the placeholder for "missing" effects? It's been quite a while...

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:14 am

The light AC bullets travel very fast - and they're a fairly dark color - so you'd have to pause and move the camera around to really see them.

The "rings" is the firing effect, but there are bullets. :P

I think that's why Kerberos went with oversized blue bullets for their ballistics - you can see them! :D

Honestly - if I could figure out how to make them be silvery, or at least more of a reflective bluish, I'd do that. But I don't think such effects are available for the weapon effects. They're pretty cleverly implemented, but things like "reflectivity" (or albedo) aren't built in to SOTS prime's effects editors.

Knecht Ruprecht

Post by Knecht Ruprecht » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 pm

So you're going for "electromagnetic railgun" effects on all ballistics? I suppose it is more realistic, although to be honest I loved the way ships went into combat "guns blazing" when I played ACM. :P

First combat with BSOTS I thought I did something wrong with the installation because of the very discreet muzzle effects. :oops:

My first-150-years-impression so far (playing Hiver and having only encountered Liir AI so far):
I love what you did to trade management and station building restrictions. I do not play very good or efficient and do not like micro'ing every aspect of my empire, I am mostly here for the tactical combat and the eyepleasure of large space battles and the satisfaction of blasting enemy fleets to pieces.

The tech tree feels much improved over what I remember from other mods and I like how you spread out some aspects over multiple techs (dual-barrel versions of weapons, station types, sections for different ship sizes). Making higher-tier CNC available to destroyers looks interesting, although I have not yet tried putting an all-destroyer fleet against an all-cruiser one.

As I am nowhere near "endgame", I am still curious how that will be balanced out against AI. What always bothered me with vanilla (and most mods) was the abundance of AI ships in endgame, coupled with auto-resolve often broken, especially playing mods (e.g. ACM torpedoes). I remember some very long and tedious battles with dozens of very similar combat rounds. I know that playing "better" or "more aggressive" right from the start helps to keep the AI in check, but that's just not how I enjoy the game. (A shame I never liked SOTS2, despite trying every few months. What that DID right was the fleet limitation.)

Knecht Ruprecht

Post by Knecht Ruprecht » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:04 pm

Turn 368 as Hiver now and still enjoying it!

Fleet sizes are kept in check by ship cost and maintenance (at least for my empire), so the pace is exactly how I hoped it would be.

One major bug, though: Triple Heavy Drivers (AP and non-AP) are broken. I didn't notice this until introducing them into all my fleets, but here is what happens every time in combat: The turret is there and the weapon icon behaves as it should, turning green when the target is in range, "discharging" (box around the icon becomes darker) and recharging again. But looking closer you notice that, although the turret is aligned correctly and the icon discharges, no bullet leaves the turret at all. Neither is there a muzzle flash or sound. I put "triple heavy driver"-only ships (with both versions) against enemy satellites and scored exactly 0 damage with them over a whole combat round, which is no surprise given that there never is a bullet.

I took a look at the weapon-files and could not find any problem with them, but there my limited modding skills end. Any idea how to fix this? Would hate to scrap all my battlecruisers. :D

Edit: Found the issue, more or less. Replaced the model with the "3mass.x" from ACM and deleted the other line pointing to an X-file for both weapons. The ACM-turret doesn't quite fit the general style (at least not for Hivers), but the weapons now work as intended.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:01 pm

Knecht Ruprecht wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:04 pm
Turn 368 as Hiver now and still enjoying it!

Fleet sizes are kept in check by ship cost and maintenance (at least for my empire), so the pace is exactly how I hoped it would be.

One major bug, though: Triple Heavy Drivers (AP and non-AP) are broken. I didn't notice this until introducing them into all my fleets, but here is what happens every time in combat: The turret is there and the weapon icon behaves as it should, turning green when the target is in range, "discharging" (box around the icon becomes darker) and recharging again. But looking closer you notice that, although the turret is aligned correctly and the icon discharges, no bullet leaves the turret at all. Neither is there a muzzle flash or sound. I put "triple heavy driver"-only ships (with both versions) against enemy satellites and scored exactly 0 damage with them over a whole combat round, which is no surprise given that there never is a bullet.

I took a look at the weapon-files and could not find any problem with them, but there my limited modding skills end. Any idea how to fix this? Would hate to scrap all my battlecruisers. :D

Edit: Found the issue, more or less. Replaced the model with the "3mass.x" from ACM and deleted the other line pointing to an X-file for both weapons. The ACM-turret doesn't quite fit the general style (at least not for Hivers), but the weapons now work as intended.
Glad you're enjoying it!

Yeah, I like the pacing and the - need to handle actual limitations on budget - much better than my previous iterations.
Nothing's perfect - and there are always exceptions in any given game - but overall I *LIKE* the direction I've gone with it (lol) :)

Sorry about the broken turrets! D'oh! I'll fix that for 3.0! And thanks for looking into it. It's usually just a missing or bad file reference, or misspelling, etc. I'm pretty "anal" about the edits I make all lining up - but this sort of error is hard to see w/o play-testing - and the reality is I can't play test all of the stuff - I tested the standard triple barrel and assumed all was good :)

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:09 am

So to be clear:

You replaced Hiver\art\weapons\barrels_l3_heaverdriver.x with 3mass.x from ACM.
Then you ... what do you mean by "...deleted the other line pointing to an X-file for both weapons"?

I assume that the barrels_l3_heaverdriver.x file is missing / has incorrect nodes so that there are no emission points as far as the mars.exe engine is concerned. I'll see if Warcat can resolve that!

But I don't understand the other comment? You removed what exactly?

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:00 am

Indeed there's a bug in the Hiver triple heavy barrel model.
Muzzle's names are numbered (Muzzle1, Muzzle2 and Muzzle3) instead of simply muzzle, so the engine cannot attach any effect to those barrels.
I've attached a quickfix for Hiver heavy triple barrel: simply paste and copy over the BSotS Hiver weapon model file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks Warcat!

Niarro

Post by Niarro » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:12 pm

This mod's looking pretty cool so far, I've just started my first game! But I do have a question: I noticed that the UI colours seem to all be changed around in my game, and nowhere is this change mentioned. Is there a way to change those colours again?

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:48 am

Not easily no - that data is stored in lots of places plus various assets in the game - so changing the GUI aesthetic is not something I can turn on or off, or give you a way to choose a different "skin".

Starlord

Post by Starlord » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:52 am

Warcat and I worked our butts off for this - and although I'm pretty sure it won't crash on you (beyond the normal limits of SOTS engine) - there are bound to be some visual glitches and the usual balancing concerns that will come up.
In regards to this, when playing the mod it occasionally slows down and the planets turn purple and it occasionally crashes when this happens. But it seems to be more stable when I run it in administrator mode. Will you try to fix this with your 3.0 update or the interim update?

Return to “Modding”