Looking to increase maximum combat round time and maximum number of ships in battle

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
jiggyjiggy

Looking to increase maximum combat round time and maximum number of ships in battle

Post by jiggyjiggy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:07 pm

As the title says, I'd like to increase the scale of battles by increasing the maximum duration of battles and increasing the maximum number of ships that can be used in battle.

So more than 16 ships and longer than 10 minutes.

I'm not sure how to go about doing this, I hope someone can help. Thanks.

Update:

Magitex has helped with the number of ships.

The combat turn length remains open. It might be hardcoded.

I fond this instruction set on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/42990/di ... 222864260/

For SotS 2, the length can be increased by editing the save file with SQLite DB editor. I wonder if it works in SotS 1.
Last edited by jiggyjiggy on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Magitex

Re: Looking to increase maximum combat round time and maximum number of ships in battle

Post by Magitex » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:29 am

.. whoops, I was referring to SOTS II :(

SOTS maximum ship modifications: https://steamcommunity.com/app/42890/di ... 860271623/

As for maximum combat round time, I haven't found anything about it yet.

jiggyjiggy

Re: Looking to increase maximum combat round time and maximum number of ships in battle

Post by jiggyjiggy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:01 am

thanks magitex!

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:12 pm

To be clear, you are looking for longer than the max combat length timer setting of 10 minutes?
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

jiggyjiggy

Post by jiggyjiggy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:37 pm

ZedF wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:12 pm
To be clear, you are looking for longer than the max combat length timer setting of 10 minutes?
that is correct.

jiggyjiggy

Post by jiggyjiggy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:27 pm

ZedF wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:12 pm
so in which part of the game does that reside?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:04 pm

No idea, I’ve always found 10 minutes to be more than sufficient. I generally prefer not to muck with game balance by making conflicts take longer than 4 minutes; this affects balance for Hivers and node-using races especially.
Zed's TARs (sample):

jiggyjiggy

Post by jiggyjiggy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:40 am

ZedF wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:04 pm
No idea, I’ve always found 10 minutes to be more than sufficient. I generally prefer not to muck with game balance by making conflicts take longer than 4 minutes; this affects balance for Hivers and node-using races especially.
I see. I'm new to SotS, how do longer conflicts affect balance?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 am

Hivers have gate ships. When defending, they can gate in reinforcements between combat rounds as long as their deployed gate ship is alive. Longer combat rounds means the deployed gate has to survive longer, making life harder for Hivers than otherwise. It's even worse on the attack since the gate ship has to survive in the reserves or on the map for a full combat round before it can be deployed, and then survive another round on the map before reinforcing can happen.

Node races can only hit where the nodes go, which makes them somewhat predictable -- Zuul especially. One trick they sometimes use to be less predictable is to hit the front line with a fleet, just try to survive the turn if facing heavy opposition, then move somewhere deeper behind enemy lines the following turn to force the enemy to react. This tactic is harder if combat rounds are longer, since such a fleet can expect to incur more damage before being able to move again.

For everyone in general, defense is harder if combat rounds are longer. You have fewer opportunities for defensive reinforcements to travel to the combat zone, and less opportunity to repair between turns. Strong enemy fleets have longer to bombard your planets. Fights in general are more decisive, so guerilla tactics and trying to buy time is not as effective.
Zed's TARs (sample):

jiggyjiggy

Post by jiggyjiggy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:37 am

thanks Zed
ZedF wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 am
Hivers have gate ships. When defending, they can gate in reinforcements between combat rounds as long as their deployed gate ship is alive.
Is it a kind of CnC ship?

jiggyjiggy

Post by jiggyjiggy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:48 am

ZedF wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 am
..hit the front line with a fleet, just try to survive the turn if facing heavy opposition, then move somewhere deeper behind enemy lines the following turn to force the enemy to react.
sorry, I thought they had to exhaust over multiple rounds if the enemy wanted to?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:19 am

Gate ships are not CnC ships, they are how the Hivers do FTL.
sorry, I thought they had to exhaust over multiple rounds if the enemy wanted to?
Not sure what you are asking here. Any fleet can move wherever it is able to move on any strategic turn.
Zed's TARs (sample):

jiggyjiggy

Post by jiggyjiggy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:04 am

ZedF wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:19 am
Gate ships are not CnC ships, they are how the Hivers do FTL.
Not sure what you are asking here. Any fleet can move wherever it is able to move on any strategic turn.
sorry, I think I was confused, my bad.

So, based on that strategy, if the enemy wanted to bypass your forces past the frontlines, how would one counter that?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:42 am

Well you could have faster ships on the tactical map (either by playing as a race with faster tactical speed or with better engine tech), or you could be fielding ships with powerful long range weapons, in order to punish the enemy for trying to run away and keep the distance open if that’s what they try to do.

Of course they could just sit in close order at the spawn point and dare you to come to them, in which case it plays out more like a slugging match and you just need a stronger fleet. Depending on how deep their reserves are and how strong your fleets are relative to one another, you may or may not be able to kill them all before they get the opportunity to keep moving.
Zed's TARs (sample):

jiggyjiggy

Post by jiggyjiggy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:52 am

ZedF wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:42 am
Depending on how deep their reserves are and how strong your fleets are relative to one another, you may or may not be able to kill them all before they get the opportunity to keep moving.
hmm, but if its only 4 minutes, you'll only be able to chip away at a small part of their fleet before they're on the move and deeper into your sovereign space.

Return to “Modding”