Misc modding questions

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
endymon

Misc modding questions

Post by endymon » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:55 am

I'll just post this here see if anyone has any ideas about these game features.

• What does section attribute "crew" do? (supposedly for fighting off boarding pods, and ship destruction carnage)
  • Is there any way to make DN sections individually destructible?
  • Why are stations divided into 3 sections with virtually identical stats?
  • Is there any way to rebalance farcasting (range, +- etc)
  • Is there any way to turn off the auto-grant of techs to Morrigi at game start? (cyber & robotics)
  • What does REBELAI_COLOR_FLASH do? (Supposedly as a warning flash when AI rebellion happens)
  • Is there any way to extract the current map from a save game?
If you know the answer to 1 or more of these, please post it here.
I may update this as I dig deeper. (or maybe answer my own questions)
Last edited by endymon on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Misc modding questions

Post by ZedF » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:19 am

I can help with some of those.
1. What does section attribute "crew" do?
2. Is there any way to make DN sections individually destructible?
3. Why are stations divided into 3 sections with virtually identical stats?
4. Is there any way to rebalance farcasting (range, +- etc)
5. Is there a way to rebalance the species specific research efficiencies? (as listed on wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Research)
6. Is there any way to turn off the auto-grant of techs to Morrigi at game start? (cyber & robotics)
7. What does REBELAI_COLOR_FLASH do?
1. Affects boarding chances when boarding pods latch on. More crew = more resistance to boarding (though there are race-specific factors as well.)
2. Dunno but doubtful. The largest ships (DNs for SotS1) are only destructible as a unit in order to represent that they are innately tougher than other ships due to their size & bulk.
3. Presumably so that you can destroy a piece of the station without killing the whole station. Stations are not built with armour or the same degree of general toughness as DNs.
4. I'd look into strategyvars for this, but I don't recall seeing anything there for farcasting, so probably not? Not certain tho.
5. IIRC this is moddable in SotS2 but not in SotS1.
6. IIRC these are granted by links in the master tech list which cost 0 for Morrigi and are not available for other races; those costs can be adjusted. But Morrigi are already pretty weak economically in the early game, and their economic productivity is balanced around not being able to research Cyber Interfaces because they start with it.
7. When an AI rebellion occurs, the planets that rebelled flash, so I'd imagine this plays a role at that time.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:22 am

1-also determines the amount of bodies that are spaced when the ship explodes. The higher the number the more floaters there are. This is one of the only games when I've seen this in gameplay. Crank the value to 100 and witness clouds of casualties in combat
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

endymon

Post by endymon » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:55 am

I'd guessed that crew had something to do with boarding, but I wasn't sure. To expand upon that, does anyone know if a lack of crew makes a ship unboardable? I know some ships cannot be boarded currently. Also most destroyers seems to have zero crew.
I'd never noticed bodies floating in space when a ship explodes. I should really take a look at that.

I can confirm that the master tech list does NOT have zero point connections for morrigi for those techs. This is true for stealth armor, but not for cyber and robotics and drones. They must be hard coded in some other way.

Are there any EXE mods out there that open up additional functionality to be edited? I looked at the save game editor, and it looks like I could change the racial tech efficiencies that way... but that is such a pain to have to do that every time I start a game.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:09 am

Destroyers in general can't be boarded. Not sufficiently worthwhile targets.

Dunno about exe mods.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:54 pm

Like this.....kaboooom...

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

endymon

Post by endymon » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:04 am

Additional questions:
  • Does the Zuul get any benefit from "Incorporate XYZ" xeno tech? I know the Zuul supposedly gets slave benefits from language techs, and everyone gets salvage benefits, but does Incorporate give anything to Zuul
  • Whats the difference between "size" & "weapon-size" in turrets.txt
  • For Alien Derelict ship sections, what does the directive "split_traffic_volume" do?
  • Is there something boosting Asteroid Monitor missile damage? As best I can tell the weapon file should deal 150 damage per hit, but it seems to actually do 1500 instead.
  • Is there any way to reset the amount of repair points a planet has? Is there an IO multiplier somewhere?
  • Is there any way to adjust the frequency of VN attacks? They don't seem to be influenced by "random encounters" controls in encounters.txt
    Also, what do these configurations do?

Code: Select all

VNEUMANN_THINK_PERIOD
    VNEUMANN_MOM_RADIUS
    VNEUMANN_CHILD_RADIUS
    VNEUMANN_CHILD_RESEEK_DELAY
    VNEUMANN_CHILD_EMIT_PROXIMITY
    VNEUMANN_NUM_SHIPS_PER_CHILD
    VNEUMANN_NUM_SATS_PER_CHILD
    VNEUMANN_CHILD_INTEGRATE_TIME
    VNEUMANN_MOM_INTEGRATE_TIME
    VNEUMANN_MOM_ORBIT_AT_RANGE
    VNEUMANN_REACHED_FLEE_DEST
    VNEUMANN_MOM_FLEET_SIZE
    VNEUMANN_NOFIGHT_MIN_RUS
    VNEUMANN_NOFIGHT_MAX_RUS
  • What does "Type P" mean in the masterTechList? The following techs are marked as such:
    waldo, orbital, asteroid, mega strip, asteroid monitor, poly, magno, elemental nanites, atmospher, gravity control, tractor beam, arcology, hardened structures, deconstruction, recombinate, micro fusion, small fusion, plasma focus, suspended, biome colony, atmospheric, terraform bacteria, environmental tailor, gravity adaptation, spy beams, node tracking human, node tracking zuul, subspace jammers, integrated sensors, data correlation, combat algo, cybernetic, expert, advanced robotics, AI, AI admin, AI Factories, AI Virus, AI Slaves
  • What does "Threat" mean in the masterTechList?
  • Are the purposes listed in affinity_section the same as those listed in affinity_weapon ?
  • Is there a way to change the base maintenance cost of each class of ship?
  • Did anyone ever figure out ENCOUNTER_STARTPOINT_SEPARATION ? I saw some other questions asked about this, but no consensus on what it did.
  • What does "family" in the masterTechList do? Is it the same as the family specified in each weapon file?

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:01 am

zuul xeno = longer surviving slaves
size is mount size (i.e. what size node it goes on), weapon size is the weapon size that goes on this mount (IIRC)
split traffic volume has to do with AI pathing when deciding who goes above and below IIRC
asteroid monitors have different weapons - they're not just large missiles -- look under alien species I think? they also may benefit from being aliens - and assumes that they're antimatter (so gets the full AM multiplier? not sure?)
nope -- repair is relative to pop (and if you have a repair station)
IIRC - you can specify how much minerals they need per ship - which directly corresponds to how often they're able to do stuff. you can also disable them as a whole by setting their appearance turn to 5000 or similar. and you can control how many baby ships they get for free when raiding.

Return to “Modding”