ModManager/Editor RC version 0.9.2 (Updated Jun 8, 2007)

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Bromoc

Post by Bromoc » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:08 am

A couple of bug fixes discovered while adding new features.

The Extract and Clean buttons have more actions added. useful in making large mods, or coompiling mods. I hope its self explanatory once i'm feature complete i'll do scenerio based docs (no not modding custom game scenios, mod making scenerios)
Get my Mod Manager/Explorer Here Works with Bob!

Bromoc

Post by Bromoc » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:26 pm

Well I'm feature complete. I do need to add a GUI config window so you don't have to manually edit the modmanager.ini

And need to write some better docs. Would like assitance with that asking questions how to do this and what not. Figured docs by example is a better way to do it.

ALso please please report any bugs you encounter.

and for the windiff merge i siggest you install WinMerge from
http://winmerge.sourceforge.net/

and add the following line to the modmanager.ini file under the options section

Code: Select all

diff=c:\Program Files\WinMerge\WinMerge.exe| -ub %file1 %file2 %outfile

but if you have another tool you prefer to use for source conflict resolution, by all means use that.

And remeber modmakers.. control-tab to get to the mod explorer ui.

Major Diarrhia

Post by Major Diarrhia » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:02 pm

Why not package the other program with the manager and have the line of code as default, but still changable?
Explosive Diarrhia Productions, ltd Mods
LaserRealism v0.8 1/18/09
Anti-torpedo Point Defense Missile v2.0.1 1/18/09
Missile Gauss Enhance v1.0
Flame Thrower v1.0
RangeFinder v1.0

Bromoc

Post by Bromoc » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:08 pm

liscense issues, and my program is 94K minmerge is 1.5 megs.. don't wanna bloat it and use up popsikle's bandwidth :)

Bromoc

hmm..

Post by Bromoc » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:25 pm

I can't belive no bug, feature requests or questions on how to use. I'm just not that good.

for any bug please post what you were doing, the sots.ini and the modmanager.ini files. And for unhandled exceptions please post the data from the exception message box.

Bromoc

Post by Bromoc » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:05 pm

I've changed the hosting location it will also be where I will be releasing the section editor.

Pericles

Post by Pericles » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:29 am

Bug: Whenever I try to right click a file in the locale folder the app crashes. So I can't use it to edit or save out the all important strings.csv, and I have to extract it with winrar. No big deal, but it's certainly a bug :)

Also, it seems that if I have .gob files associated with any program (Say WinRAR), your app won't load at all... It just crashes when I try to start it. After I deleted the file association for .gob files it ran fine.

Bromoc

Post by Bromoc » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:34 pm

Pericles wrote:Bug: Whenever I try to right click a file in the locale folder the app crashes. So I can't use it to edit or save out the all important strings.csv, and I have to extract it with winrar. No big deal, but it's certainly a bug :)

Fixed should have a new build out this weekend. (need to test to make sure the fix doesn't break anything else, and i need to remove working directory for the sots.ini file if your in the mod selector and have no mods selected)

Also, it seems that if I have .gob files associated with any program (Say WinRAR), your app won't load at all... It just crashes when I try to start it. After I deleted the file association for .gob files it ran fine.

Maybe there is something going on with winrar that is preventing other executeables, on your system can you assoitate it with winzip and run it. (for me gobs are associated with winzip)

Bromoc

Post by Bromoc » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:09 pm

Okay new binary is uploaded

CatchCharyou

Post by CatchCharyou » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:54 am

Here's a question for you, Bromoc! It's in reference to Covenant's mod; last release is 2.5.

CatchCharyou wrote:Will I be able to use Bromoc's Modmanager to switch between playing this mod (2.5) and the default SotS game, or will I have to remove the mod folders and switch .gob files? I'm asking mostly because I'm pretty shore I've installed both mod and manager correctly, but this mod doesn't show in the manager.
K-I-C-K-A-S-S
That's the way we spell success.

Covenant

Post by Covenant » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:24 pm

CatchCharyou wrote:Here's a question for you, Bromoc! It's in reference to Covenant's mod; last release is 2.5.

CatchCharyou wrote:Will I be able to use Bromoc's Modmanager to switch between playing this mod (2.5) and the default SotS game, or will I have to remove the mod folders and switch .gob files? I'm asking mostly because I'm pretty shore I've installed both mod and manager correctly, but this mod doesn't show in the manager.

You'll need to rename my .zip to a .gob, I didn't do this on my own because I didn't want to make that decision for you. But the directory tree is intact, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use the mod manager as I understand it.

CatchCharyou

Post by CatchCharyou » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:30 pm

Oh, see. i misunderstood that bit of your readme instructions. In my ignorances of SotS modding, I though you were saying that you could back up your Sots.gob file, as adding the new files of the mod would 'make' (rewrite) the sots.gob for you and that backing up the original was the choice you were refering to. Hah.

Edit: Kay now it works. Chalk another problem off to user error.
Last edited by CatchCharyou on Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-I-C-K-A-S-S

Covenant

Post by Covenant » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:32 pm

CatchCharyou wrote:Oh, see. i misunderstood that bit of your readme instructions. In my ignorances of SotS modding, I though you were saying that you could back up your Sots.gob file, as adding the new files of the mod would 'make' (rewrite) the sots.gob for you and that backing up the original was the choice you were refering to. Hah.

No, what I'm telling people to do is the very messy, very ugly but simple modding way of just extracting the folders to your root directory. If you had other mods installed that way you'd want to back them up. What this does is tell the game to use my extracted files first, and the gob second, so that my files override the actual game's files.

If you want to make it into a gob and run it that way, I haven't tested it completely, but it should work just fine. I know that my method as listed is not the favored one, but people who haven't gotten into modding enough to know how to use the mod manager correctly probably would rather just get the mod running faster in an ugly fashion than feel stupid and ignore my mod.

CatchCharyou

Post by CatchCharyou » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:42 pm

Well, I'd prefer to use the modmanager because it allows me to play both your mod and the stock game with no movement of files or backing up.

You replied already so you probably missed my edit- I removed your mod files, readded the mod as a .gob file. The modmanager picked it up this time, and I was able to load the modded Tarka game I started last night (I got lucky! Nearly every planet in 15 ly colonizable under at 25k or less!) as well as not load your mod via the manager and load up my current non mod Hiver game with no issue. So the games load properly, but I didn't play them so I guess something might crop up. If it does I'll let you know in your mod thread. We can stop hijacking Bromoc's.

Though I do wanna thank you Bromoc for making this manager. It'sa real nice. :D
K-I-C-K-A-S-S

Bromoc

Post by Bromoc » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:17 pm

Updated to be usable with BoB.

Return to “Modding”