Faction: Infinite Edge (Release v0.1-DE-AM)

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Dragonblade

Re: Faction: Infinite Edge (Release v0.1-DE-AM)

Post by Dragonblade » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:07 am

Ok, so the mod is slow, but it isn't dead!

I finish so few of the things i start out to do, so I've been working on it again. I've decided what the revamped destroyers would look like (no images though) and I've been busy with new cruiser sections. (I also reworked my crappy bulbous command section, see below)

because Blender animations don't work in sots, and because texturing is somehow absolutely beyond me, I'm going to ignore those and simply get the faction playable, with the models all in (or mostly in) game and working. Version 1.0 will do just that, the faction will be functional, but not very pretty. I am hoping to finish v1.0 before sots2 releases, which means I've got about 2/3 cruisers left to go, plus gatestations and normal station, and then dreadnoughts. even going at a section per day, i might not make it.

V1.25 will have more balanced shipsections, as I've noticed mine are wildly priced, and working names and other minor improvements. v1.5 will have revamped destroyers. v1.75 will have faction avatars, icons, badges, fleet setup icons, and other such secondary improvements. v2.0 will have Textures and animations, but will also be the first release for Sots2 so expect to see IE Levis :twisted: (that may be quite a while off, as the modding community will first have to figure out how to mod Sots2) (in fact all of these v1.xx will be long after sots2 comes out, because...well sots2 will be out and consuming all of my time)

anyways... IMAGES!
First is the projector section, along with my new Command base.
I didn't put a lot of effort into the section, and I don't have a special barrel for the projector (most of them all look the same-ish anyways)
the new command drops the idea of a two floor command section and crest in favor of a sleeker more aggressive look. while designing it I thought it looked like a stealth-plane, and it looks a bit silly on the combat ships, but it MUCH improves the appearance of the utility and non-combat cruisers.

speaking of non-combat, the Biome Colonizer.
This is probably my least original looking design (and thats saying something considering the combat cruisers are based off star destroyers) and there isnt much to say other than its got landing pads and a ramp on the underside you can't see here.
it also sports a DeepScan command and solar-sail engines (which you can see better on the next one)

the Heavy Extended Range ship, mostly useless without the FTL engines
its got decent armament too, 3 medium guns, and 8 smalls. With the Hammerhead section in front its got 5 mediums and something like 16 smalls (the solar sail engines have 4 smalls, none of the FTL engines will have more than this)

and my favorite of my current ships, the Barrage
The command section is the Strafe, which sports a new design for large weaponry (although you can't really see it in the image) and also pulsed fission engines, which has the same firepower as the fission engine, only with better arcs. at 4 torp launchers and 7 smalls, it packs quite the wallop at range, but will suffer from low health and has no heavy beams or large guns. For some reason i really like these torpedo launchers. unfortunately i forgot to do something about the middle, where there was supposed to be a connection between the two launchers, maybe I'll go back in and add it alter, but thats for later.

As I've been working on the cruisers I've noticed that only the War section will get any large guns, which seems at odd with the "they really like big guns" thing. the reason they get so few larges on cruisers is because they rely on dreadnoughts and destroyers for their damage output, and cruisers are supposed to be support primarily. pretty much the only cruisers with real output are the barrage, and Battleship sections.

Dreadnoughts will be a whole other level of pain, sporting tons of larges, and double barreled turreted heavy pulse lasers, or turreted torpedo launchers, or turreted impactors... and DE battleriders... and whole armadas worth of drones... yeah, those are going to be fun.

anyways, I'm off to work on the Complex ordnance launcher. (Here's hoping I don't bail on the project...AGAIN)
"Truth is relative."

Dragonblade

Post by Dragonblade » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:58 pm

So its been... years... I don't expect anyone to see this. I never did finish the mod, but some of the models I was rather proud of. A while ago I had a fatal hard drive failure, and my backups vanished. So I lost everything. :( I don't suppose anyone bothered to download the mod might still have it and could send it to me? I realize this is highly unlikely, but I have to try.
"Truth is relative."

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:48 pm

:'( I'm so sorry for your loss! Ugh!!!

I wish I had a copy. I have a few things - but that is not one of them. :(

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 am

Hello Ben, I was sure I had a copy of you mod somewhere but I've looked in my archives and can't seem to find it, that said I did have one of my archives fail awhile back so I may have lost it then. I will keep checking though.
I did check some old emails from an email mail account I don't use much and found this...
dragonblade.rar

It's only a blender file of one of your ships. Maybe you could check your old emails I think I sent this to you after you asked me to look at one of your files. Maybe you sent me more?

It was from a very long time ago and my blender skill set has grown since then. So if you do find your old files and need any help let me know.

It would be good to see you mod again I for one thought it had some great ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Dragonblade

Post by Dragonblade » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:13 pm

YOU ROCK! :insane: Thank you so much.

I remember that! I never did figure out how to get textures onto my ships. So I asked if anyone could help, you volunteered and I sent you a ship. I'm amazed you (were still watching this forum) still had it!

(as a plus, imageshack still had some of the images I put up here, so I've got some pics of at least a few of my ships.)
"Truth is relative."

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Glad I could help. If you would like me to I could re texture them and pack them into a blend file for easy use in blender.
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Return to “Modding”