Faction: Infinite Edge (Release v0.1-DE-AM)

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Dragonblade

Re: Faction: Infinite Edge (Release v0.1-DE-AM)

Post by Dragonblade » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:51 am

Re: SpardaSon
I... guess it kinda does. (I had to go look the aethersprite up though) Being as it was based off the star destroyer thats what I thought it looked like. shrug.

anyways, minor update:

finished the double and triple barreled small/medium weapons. As well as the all the large turrets.

Finished a new emitter barrel.
you may have noticed that many of my weapons are a little silly looking, what with rings around crystals and stuff. thats because I'm kind of going for a sort of "old school" sci-fi from the 50s look for them.

Finished the CR defense platform.
1 large missile spot on top, 2 large selectables, 2 medium selectables, 12 smalls. ...which now that I really think about it is slightly more powerful than most... I'll probably remove the large missile slot if it becomes a concern.
"Truth is relative."

Dragonblade

Post by Dragonblade » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:53 am

Standard command: 4 small guns. 1 on the very front, on the... nose(?) just above the windows. 1 below the crest, the other 2 on the sides.
Armor mission: 8 smalls, 6 meds. The meds are broadside setup, they don't fire forward (2 topside, 1 under.) 4 smalls on the very front, the others on the little ledge below the command section.
Fission engines: 2 smalls, 2 meds. all point backwards. (on the purple thing between the red engine parts.)
Total: 14 smalls, 8 meds. (which now that I go look at S/A/F cruisers for others doesn't seem all that underpowered... poor firearcs on the meds somewhat counters that, and it doesn't get a large, unlike all the others)

Although, this is the STL combat cruiser, FTL cruisers will get less in the way of guns (instead they get to move without needing a fleetcraft.)

I think the command section looks like a roman helmet.
When its moving around it reminds me less of a star destroyer or an aethersprite and more like a Venator.

(Its MUCH faster to have a base to work with than making it all from scratch like I did with the destroyers)
"Truth is relative."

Dragonblade

Post by Dragonblade » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:40 am

New ship: Drone Cruiser
(Ok, green may not have been the best choice of color for the wing details, but those colors are so I/you can see they are there, not what color they are in-game.)
It has the same armaments as normal drone cruisers (6 smalls)
The main strength is the drones, 6 light and 3 med/heavy. (remember the light drones are terribly weak and frail, 1 small gun and few hp)

On IE drones:
The way I set up my drone ships you might think they get overpowered drones because they get so many of them, but if you look at the number of weapons they get per ship its not so bad.

Small guns on DE Drone ship with swarm drones:
Most factions: 4
Morrigi: 6
IE: 5 (2 on lights, 3 on medium)

small guns on CR drone ship:
Most factions: 12
Morrigi: 18
IE: 15 (6 on light drones, 9 on medium)

with Heavy drones:
DE:
Most factions: 2 medium guns
Morrigi: 4 medium guns
IE: 6 light guns, 1 medium gun

CR:
Most factions: 6 M
Morrigi: 12 M
IE: 3 mediums, 18 smalls

So pre-heavy drones the morrigi still have better drone forces (if I didn't have to replace them for the IE) and with heavy drones its a little iffy that the IE drone cruiser might be marginally better due to being better set up to deal with intercepter missiles (the light drones can use Phaser pd while the heavy's cannot)
"Truth is relative."

Dragonblade

Post by Dragonblade » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:25 am

Strikeforce C&C
8 smalls, two on the ends of each of the top wings, 4 below the lower command decks. 36 command points.
those fin-like things coming off the top wings/wedges are supposed to be communication arrays or something.
I didn't really have a very distinctive command destroyer, so I wanted the cruiser version to stick out.
"Truth is relative."

Dragonblade

Post by Dragonblade » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:27 am

I wish I had better news, but no real progress...

I am still "working" on it. Although at this point I feel its not worth continuing on models until I figure out how to get textures working.

On that note: are there any more experienced modders with advice on this?? I mucked around in blender and figured out how to get textures onto the models but... how do you get models to fit textures and/or find/make good textures? I can't quite seem to wrap my head around how the textures the game uses are used. When I go look into the art folders for each race there are only about 30-40 of them there, and they seem to just get stretched and re-used all over the place. (please understand that prior to starting the IE I have never done any 3d modeling or anything so I'm still pretty much a newbie) I've got gimp-2.0 to use for editing/making new textures, and I've played around in it before, so at least I'm not as quite as useless with that. but still, advice/help?

also: due to an off hand comment by okim (which I can't find now. /grumble) I realized I needed better destroyers (and cruiser command section, and guns.) The concept of having the command/engines in different places to make more unique and exotic designs is nice IN THEORY. And if I had put more thought into how I was going to do that I would have had better designs. But the way I did do it was to start with the spinal mount section, slap the engines and command where it fits, and then force all my other designs to fit those engines and command. Which I can tell you now is the wrong way (or just the hard way) to do it. I've got a new idea for the destroyers and the guns, but I'm not going to work on that until I can get textures working.
"Truth is relative."

Katsuma

Post by Katsuma » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:02 am

Well, problems aside, I think your mod is looking really cool, DragonBlade. If he's not too busy, you might try asking Bal~Ti about texturing. I've been playing around with his mods, and he seems to know what he's doing in that department.

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:43 am

Katsuma wrote:If he's not too busy, you might try asking Bal~Ti about texturing. I've been playing around with his mods, and he seems to know what he's doing in that department.
Thx Katsuma much appreciated :wink:

I would be honored to help...if I can I'm a lot of a noobie, I've only been fiddling with blender for a 2 or 3 months really..so I'm sure I wouldn't know much moe than you..
These are great models I hope we see them in game one day :thumbsup:
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:43 am

balti knights wrote:
Katsuma wrote:If he's not too busy, you might try asking Bal~Ti about texturing. I've been playing around with his mods, and he seems to know what he's doing in that department.
Thx Katsuma much appreciated :wink:

I would be honored to help...if I can I'm a lot of a noobie, I've only been fiddling with blender for a 2 or 3 months really..so I'm sure I wouldn't know much more than you..
These are great models I hope we see them in game one day :thumbsup:
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Dragonblade

Post by Dragonblade » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Balti
The question then is: How much help? It would be a lot of work to create a unique texture for each ship (which as of right now would probably be required for the DEs, I am working to change that... slowly)

Actually, how about I send you the blender file for one of my sections and see if you can make use of it to get some textures on it? Then we can see if I'm doing this the hard way (meaning its impossible/really hard to get textures on) or just the wrong way. (PM me with an email I can send to if you are willing to try this)

(also, sorry for the slow response)

Update:
People have been asking about my dreadnoughts for a while, to which my only response was to shrug and say I've got no idea.

I've got some ideas now. (these are obviously just design shape concepts)
1 is a return to the vertical designs, with two large wings on top and two "hands", the command section would be the head thing, with engines lining the wings and down the back. (I can visualize how I would make this one much better, but I want to get some feedback on the concept before I spend three days messing with it)
2 is a simplified design emphasizing the wings, command in front, engines along the wings. But its not vertical... and it kind of looks like it should be something much smaller
3 is practical, I see no less than three surfaces suitable for stacking weapons/drone lauchpads/battlerider ports/whatever (Top platform, center wedge and the wings), and its got two clear areas I could use for a command section (engines along the back of the wings and on the rear) but its not vertical.
4 uses most of the same hull, although its wings are less "cylon forward swoop" and more birdlike. it also lacks the bridge connecting the top platform to the lower command like thing. however this one looks a lot like a sots2 morrigi ship (which I only noticed after assembling it)
(sidenote: 3 and 4 have the same length top platform and command, it just looks longer in 3 because of the angle, and I took out a ditch at the back of the command)

Personally I think 1 fits the aesthetic the most, but 3 is the most usable. Any thoughts?

(I am also still trying to re-design my guns and DE, I know what I want them to look like... but I can't get them to come out right in blender...)
"Truth is relative."

BizzarreCoyote

Post by BizzarreCoyote » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:20 am

I do indeed like number 1, though I also agree #3 would be the most practical in combat...

Hmm. Perhaps incorporate #1 and #3 for different types of DN?

overweightninja wrote: Bows & Arrows or small calibre weapons are all well and good, but unless you're exploding zed heads, you're just creating evil brain munching swiss cheese.

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:57 pm

#1 and #3 are my favorites, too. I prefer #1 though because it reminds me of the B-Wing.

Dragonblade

Post by Dragonblade » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:32 pm

I've spent a little while bulking up and "improving" #1... the results were... not pretty.
It starts to look like a modified morrigi dreadnought pretty quickly, what with the vertical hull and wings at the top. The hands also would have to be twisted inwards to provide useful weapon emplacements, which makes it look even more morrigi. The design having a central pillar for a hull means that the only place to put weapons which can hit to the front and both sides would have to stick on the front, which just looks silly. once again, I find that vertical designs are just impractical, as different as they are. It works on destroyers because they don't need to be practical and generally only have one big gun ever anyways, which usually can only fire forwards.

I've also spent some time experimenting with #3, trying to find a wing structure that doesn't look so cylon-y. One that looks nice was shoving the lower set of wings forward (from #4) but then the wings took up too much of the shape (as well as having... other problems...) so right now this is my current best concept:
I've still got plenty of options for command section (the thing on top at back, or the front thing with the wings, or the front of the top platform)
Or I could make the wings the engines.
If i leave the wings as part of the mission section then I can make them fold at different angles based off what kind of mission it is, so on one ship they could fold up rather than down, I've tried that out and it looks decent. (Although it limits where the command can be)

The sheer practicalness of the main hull from #3 is going to make it the preferred choice, regardless of what I do with wings/fins. (even without the wings/fins its still functional, if a little bland) Unless I (or someone else) comes up with something that blows it out of the water, so to speak.
"Truth is relative."

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:44 pm

Dragonblade wrote:Re: Balti
The question then is: How much help? It would be a lot of work to create a unique texture for each ship (which as of right now would probably be required for the DEs, I am working to change that... slowly)

Actually, how about I send you the blender file for one of my sections and see if you can make use of it to get some textures on it? Then we can see if I'm doing this the hard way (meaning its impossible/really hard to get textures on) or just the wrong way. (PM me with an email I can send to if you are willing to try this)

Sounds like a good idea email is in your PM.... :thumbsup:

Peanutcat

Post by Peanutcat » Sun May 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Screenshoots? Id like to have pics of the mod be4 i download anything

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun May 08, 2011 6:04 pm

:roll: |don'ttouch|
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Return to “Modding”