Allowing sots more than 2 gb of memory (big combats)...

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Profound_Darkness

Allowing sots more than 2 gb of memory (big combats)...

Post by Profound_Darkness » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:25 pm

First: If you modify your game in this way and have a crash remove the modification and attempt to repeat the crash before reporting it to the technical support forum, as with any crash that happens with a mod.

Sots is 2gb limited so those with the ability to address more memory (the 3gb XP OS flag or 64 bit OS and physical ram to match) can still hit this limit. This means that fleets with many ships, such as some fleets that people have put together to meet the locust (or other GM) threat, can crash if played manually as the game runs out of memory during combat load.

To set the flag for sots to be able to use more than 2 gb of memory head over to ntcore's website (direct link to the utility) and grab the utility. When run on the sots exe it will add the large address aware flag to sots. This has 'fixed' a few people's crashes in technical support (done via PM) by allowing them to load combats that normally ran out of memory.

NOTE: You need both OS ability and enough physical memory for this to have a positive effect for you - I just worked on a system running vista x64 that came from the factory with a physical (motherboard) limitation or 2gb (and that version of vista)... If you only have 2gb of memory or are running a 32 bit OS (win2k/xp) without telling that OS to use more memory this is no good for you.

If you installed sots in the default location on a machine with UAC you may have to go through some extra work... I still primarily use XP and install older software to non-default paths when not using XP so I don't know exactly what you would have to go through.

Again: If you have a crash with a mod, remove the mod and attempt to repeat the crash before posting to technical support. You can also ask for help in this forum if you have trouble with a mod. With major mods you might not be able to load the game up but this mod seems to be of the type where you can.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Attribution given... :)

Post by silvaril » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:49 am

Heya

Cool! :)

Wiki updated...
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

erdrik

Re: Allowing sots more than 2 gb of memory (big combats)...

Post by erdrik » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:35 am

Thats awsome! Thanks! :thumbsup:

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:09 am

This has significantly increased my overall performance in the game, beyond just fixing large fleet crashes.

I have 8GB of physical RAM so ;)

Thanks for the tip.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:30 am

This ACTUALLY boosted performance?
I wouldn't think it should...
If it has, then cool, some people might get a performance boost :)
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

Vengashii

Post by Vengashii » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Yeah, my performance and speed went way up. :D

Now if only there was a way to allow 6GB or 8GB of memory. :D

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:49 pm

Problem is with the large address aware flag set you now start running into the 32 bit memory limit (all 32 bit programs have this limit), though in windows' case it reserves 1 gig for the kernel and such (32 bit oses). For all I know x64 OSes can actually access more than 3 gigs but I wouldn't bet on it. The only way to get sots to use even more memory as far as I know would be to compile it to 64 bit instructions set...

For now I would say - enjoy the extra memory (and apparently performance)... sots 2 is coming (and it's design is focused on more modern systems).

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Also, do not expect it to be set by default... ;p

Post by silvaril » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Heya

32bit Applications such as SotS will be limited to 4GB regardless.

amd64 based OS' do not have the 32bit OS kernel limitations
( such as the 1GB reserved on the 32bit OS' from this 4GB limit )

Disclaimer:

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:30 am

I have no need of your mod on my win 7 64 bit install... mostly because I'm running on a Phenom 2 processor... I do feel sorry for you CISC fanbois though... oh well, I guess everyone can't be an AMD user... ;)

Vengashii

Post by Vengashii » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:58 am

I've got a windows 7 64-bit with 4 cores and this utility still increased performance.

:thumbsup:

Rayp

Post by Rayp » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:18 am

I have been using this program on other x86 games and i seen improvement. Very useful little program.

Kimori

Post by Kimori » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:34 pm

zanzibar196 wrote:I have no need of your mod on my win 7 64 bit install... mostly because I'm running on a Phenom 2 processor... I do feel sorry for you CISC fanbois though... oh well, I guess everyone can't be an AMD user... ;)

None of which should change the address space limitations of a 32-bit program at all.

On an unrelated note, I've never had memory crashes like that before but I can try running the game as Large Address Aware and see if it speeds things up anyways. :3 (Intel C2D @ 3.00GHz, 4GB DDR3 onboard + Win7/64 bit)

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:11 am

zanzibar196 wrote:I have no need of your mod on my win 7 64 bit install... mostly because I'm running on a Phenom 2 processor... I do feel sorry for you CISC fanbois though... oh well, I guess everyone can't be an AMD user... ;)

I've used a different program to make SotS Large memory address aware and it HAS made a difference in load times as well as performance. As for what my system runs: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a dual processor AMD Opteron dual core with 6gb of ram (can up it to 32gb) and a 1gb gForce 220 PCIe video card. :twisted: "Evil Inside"

And yes, I DO mean 2 CPUs both with dual cores and she's quiet enough to hear my cat creeping into the room behind me on the carpet!

EDIT: Side note, I've actually played SotS on one monitor while playing X3:Terran Conflict on the other one time and had no slow down OR problems with the graphics! 8)
It's not that we stood or fell that matters, but that we stood and faced it.

nightboy42

Post by nightboy42 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:00 pm

This does not work on the Steam version :(

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by silvaril » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Heya

Steam is quite Draconian about folks messing with Multi-Player executables.

While games like Oblivion and Fallout 3+ can be modded in this fashion, it does seem to be because they are single-player only with Steam being less concerned about such Mods.

Disclaimer:

Return to “Modding”