Combined MOD [graphics + gameplay] Updated june 25, 2015

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
balti knights

Re: Combined MOD [graphics + gameplay] Updated june 25, 2015

Post by balti knights » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:10 pm

BlueInstinct wrote:
i didnt intend to upload them, i just use them as a personal preference and forgot to remove them in the upload, sorry for that.

No problems Blue.. I am very flattered that you did... Great mod it does a top job of mixing loads of the best bits that this community has to offer..

I hope you keep on mixing it up for a long time..
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

relmfu

Post by relmfu » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:34 am

Having fun in my first game but as Liir I did not get any new ship sections when I completed Destroyer construction. Other MP players playing Tarka and Human say they gained access to special destroyer sections with additional weapon mounts compared to the Frigate versions. Had to rush to Cruiser so I could field something tougher than Heavy Frigate.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:27 pm

relmfu wrote:Having fun in my first game but as Liir I did not get any new ship sections when I completed Destroyer construction. Other MP players playing Tarka and Human say they gained access to special destroyer sections with additional weapon mounts compared to the Frigate versions. Had to rush to Cruiser so I could field something tougher than Heavy Frigate.

yeah, unfortunately there are no models for the liir for this specific techbranch. To make up for it, the liir fission FTL drive is way faster now which compensates their biggest weakness.
Also liir get nice new sections in cruiser and DN aera.

greetings

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:22 pm

Am I missing something or is there no human Cruiser torpedo section?

I researched advanced cruiser components and improved cruiser components but only my destroyers can have torp sections. I also researched Plasma and Photon torpedoes.

What did I miss? :?:
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:31 am

in sots1, CR's dont have torpedo sections, they can only use toprs on barrage and assault section.

I was thinking about adding one, but since i didnt have a good model for it, i let it go.

greetings

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:28 am

*Facepalm*

I'm a complete dunce. I keep thinking about SOTS 2 and assuming it was the same in 1. Sorry for the silliness on my part.

Thanks for the reply. Really enjoying this mod.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:48 pm

hey, glad u like the mod, iam pretty sure humans have a DN mission section that has 10 torpedo mounts. I requires adv DN eng, if your into torps iam sure u like it.

also the vanguard CR section (and all DN sections with super heavy mounts) can mount 1 turreted direct fire torp that is about 5 times as strong as the normal torp variant.

greetings

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:07 am

Hi Blue, if you're looking for a CR Torpedo model, take a look here.
If you like the stuff, feel free to add it to your mod... :)

For the records I've modeled Liir and Hiver ones: you may find them there too

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:29 pm

hey warcat, tnx for the hint, i like your torpedo sections, gj !

i guess i have to go back to sots1 and put them in my mod, they are a must have as it seems.
If i wasnt too lazy i would take the fantastic energy weapons tree u made and replace it too =)

on a side note, i just found out how to change the appearance of the selection ring and movement arrows in the combat hud.
Something i wanted to do for soo long.

so an update is due.

greetings

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:34 am

Heres a little preview of the new combat hud

and enemy selected:
Last edited by BlueInstinct on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Nice.... a lot less 'in your face'
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi drages, iam happy that u like the mod as i really did put countless hours into this.

The developement right no is not stopped completely as i still feel the urge of changing some things, but i only pick it up rarely.
That being said, i did change the combat GUI recently as shown above and i personally enjoy it alot, but it has 1 downside:
If u are way zoomed out u cannot or just barely see any of the selection rings.
So i am hasitant to upload it.

But if u want to try it, here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/413e21c3v2obtlk/Combat_Hud.rar

copy the folder into your combined mod folder.
If u dont like it, open the models folder (in the CM folder) and delete the CombatHud folder, that will reset to normal selections.

As for other things: iam currently experiementing with moving the CR sectios hammerhead, heavy hammerhead and tank, aswell as armor for humans away from its current tech as it seems the AI is picking it up rather slowely even though i have adjusted all AItech preferences available to make the tech TOP priority across the field.

I also want to try how the fighters work if i make them behave like drones (no manual control, can get targeted by PD)

oh and i have included the new torpedo section from warcat and iam almost done importing the new CR sections R2dical made for the tarkas (those should be awesome but i have to think about how to balance them)

so i am pretty sure that i will update this again, but i really cant say when that will be exactly (sorry)

what do you think of the AI in terms of Cruiser sections. Do they get hammerhead, heavy hammerhead and tank, aswell as armor for humans recently fast, or are they lacking too much in your opinion? (in my latest game my human opponent did use mostly Projector/vanguard CR mission section)
And if u have feedback on the fighters that would be apreciated too.

greetigs

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:24 pm

I'll jump in now too. Blue - it's weird that I've never sat down and played your combined mod. It's sweet! Got a lot of good things going on. I'm just starting a game, so surface-level feedback, but I like your color-scheme changes and ship-skins (playing my beloved Liir).

It seems you've got quite a few missing tech icons and similar - if I'm feeling into it I might fix all of that. 'tis just grunt-work, but gets rid of the placeholder art & makes it a bit more slick & polished.

My real concerns so far:

* You're surpassing the shipsection AI limits. So all sections beyond the first 50(?) for any given mission will never be built by the AI.
* The hybrid tech tree is positioned strangely - like you wanted to insert it there, but actually placed it bit in the foreground so as not to disturb the current tech trees? Is that correct?

The second is basically a non-issue, or a spit & polish that can be fixed if we cared enough to do it. The first - exceeding AI limits - is going to impact game quality. Did you move the most esoteric / irrelevant designs to the ends of the lists - that way the AI won't use those beyond 50, but it will matter less (50 best are available to the AI).

Curious - how did you manage to elide the armor section from the game without sots throwing a fit? When I tried to do it (albeit a long while ago) sots still insisted on designing the startup ships based on that - and it looked really dumb (with missing dd armor section).

I like the whole start with colonizers, tankers, and explorers only. Sweet - upgrading from there to light FF, FF, heavy FF, and DD.

I did notice though: after researching DD, I have no new shipsections as Liir. No new mission, no new helm (command). I have fusion missiles & x-ray beamers, in case it requires some other weapon-type?

Really nice job. Sorry I've ignored it for so long. :oops:
Looking forward to playing some more this evening. :)

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Drages - some of your concerns are part of how sots works - are part of the base game and so are normal:

drages wrote:About the mod at current state.. there is a huge difference between cruisers and destroyers. At difficult, ai comes with cruisers and my destroyers could not touch them and died very very fast.

Cruisers are 3x size of a DD. They also tend to sport more heavy weapons (well, heavy at all). So depending on what weapons they carry, DD can be easy to pop.
Similarly, DN are 3x size of a CR. Weapons that work well against your opponents particular fleets makes a huge difference - and it takes time and experience to see what is most effective and when.

drages wrote:Dolphins asked me alliance even I did only have the first communicate tech at the beginning of the game.

Normal: sots allows the race initiating the contact to do so if they have enough tech - not if the person they're talking to does.

drages wrote:Some researches come before their base researches. I mean I can research antimatter rockets before antimatter research.

Normal: the standard sots tech tree allows antimatter warheads before antimatter energy. That's intentional and makes reasonable sense.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:13 pm

drages wrote:My 50 destroyer could not kill "1" cruiser at a match.. i thought destroyers could do a bit more..

That alliance from dolphins was just 10. turn of the game.. it seems a bit earlier even to get a tech to call me an alliance..

50 should more than destroy a CR - but sots definitely takes learning how to play. I introduced a friend to playing some years ago and our first game he came at me with like 150 DD to my 15 CR. I was worried - but I absolutely destroyed his fleet because I knew how to position my ships, keep them together - not all strung out, and kept them focused on a single target, destroying them serially rather than doing some damage to many ships at once.

I probably understood the weapons much better and had something that was great at killing DDs - maybe positron or particle beams, or emitters. But the fact is that quantity can be overcome with quality - Sots is deep. No one strategy makes sense - and sometimes DDs can be designed to pw0n dreadnoughts.

---

Turn 10 is slightly early for alliance - but alliance is only the 2nd level of language tech - and language techs are super-cheap. So the AI had to research two techs to make that offer - and even knowing they were there means you must have started near to them. Sounds totally legit to me, just maybe not the average.

Things like that hinge on your map setup - if you start near to a neighbor - they're very likely to research your languages. If you start with a bigger map, more spread out - they're not going to meet you until much later. It also alters the AI's approach to expansion and war. So you'll just have to try out different game configurations to see what is most fun for you. :D

Return to “Modding”