The Weapons Liberation Mod 1.4a

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
BlueTemplar

The Weapons Liberation Mod 1.4a

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:15 am

What started as an attempt to add more large weapons to spinal quickly grew out to a larger mod.

Features :
- All large turret and heavy beam (Ion Cannon Frigate! :D ) weapons enabled for the Spinal Mount DE section. The Spinal Mounts tech doesn't require Particle Beam or Heavy Driver, and a new fast-firing (15 times faster than by default) red laser weapon has been added as a placeholder weapon to use until you research some big gun. (Why so little love for Spinal from the devs?)
(In addition, no large turret weapon tech has CR as a prerequisite anymore.)

- Heavy beams enabled in large turrets. To compensate for their longer range and alpha strike, and so as to incite people to still research large beams, the turreted and DE spinal heavy beam recharge time has been doubled. (Yay for hit-and-run tactics!)
Had to disable this in 1.2 because I used the Zuul freebeams to do that, and those seem to be hardcoded so I can't just add a large heavy beam weapon with different characteristics. (Plus heavy beams in large mounts, even with fire rate halved, were probably breaking balance too much.)

- Assault, Barrage, DN War and Flagship sections now don't need Heavy Beams to be available. Two new placeholder weapons (one torpedo, one heavy beam) have been created that fire red lasers at a various rates but with a total DPS similar to respectively HCL and Disruptor (they are still weaker, because they have all the features except fire rate of red lasers).
The Morrigi Assault section need neither Torpedo nor Heavy Beam to be available. (I tried to use an "OR" condition but it didn't work.)
(Now you don't need Heavy beams anymore to play with your torpedoes!)
(This doesn't work with Zuul anymore.)

- The War sections are available from the start, regardless even of whether there's a Zuul in the game. (Because sometimes, even in small games with no Zuul, you want to play with big guns!)

- All the missile-only Medium, Large or "Planetary" Missile turrets have been changed to accept any kinds of size-corresponding weapons, whether on ships (I'm looking at you, Humans!) or satellites. The Heavy Platform "Planetary" Missile can now be placed in large turrets (and spinal mounts) and is unlocked by researching Heavy Planet Missiles.
(Now you can do optimally armed close combat Barrage CR, and not only Morrigi have the luxury of large beams in medium sats!)

- Strafe sections and Heavy Drones can mount all weapons (of appropriate turret size) now, missiles and dumbfire racks in particular.

- Tried to fix Detonating torpedoes not doing area damage by making them automatic fire instead of manual.

Minor fixes:
- dam_est of the spinal neutron beam has been set to 300 (the same as the regular neutron beam).

Update Log :

1.4a
- War sections now require Advanced Robotics.
- Changed main screen's title.

- Made Detonating torpedoes automatic (instead of manual) fire, trying to fix the issue of them not doing area damage.

- Removed CR requirements for all large turret weapons research.
- Heavy Missiles can be used in spinal mounts too now.
- Added the missing min_ and max_inclination values for defense platforms formely missile-only turrets. (By the way it would seem that there was a bug in the vanilla game because the Medium Torpedo Platforms could mount non-missile weapons in their large mounts, but these values were missing.)
* There is still the problem that since platforms usually have only one weapon bank for these guns, then they can only target a single object with both of these guns, which means that usually only one of these guns will be able to fire, considering their placement. But the unmodded morrigi medium platform probably already had this problem.
* Problems with HCL's and Lancers in Spinal DE's and the "Standoff" behavior.

- Fixed : Removed heavy beams on large turrets and placeholder red laser weapon for heavy beams for Zuul due to problems.

- Strafe sections and Heavy Drones can mount all weapons now.
- CR no longer required for Heavy Beams research.
- Fixed : Zuul can now use ships with "fixed" heavy beams again.
- Fixed : free cutting beams not appearing for large mounts.

1.0a
- Turreted and Spinal heavy beams dam_est reduced to 75% of the former to account for the doubled reload time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BlueTemplar on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Alpha Centauri

Re: The Weapons Liberation Mod 1.0a

Post by Alpha Centauri » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:39 pm

Nice.

I've never been a fan of spinals myself, but this makes the more available, so maybe a more viable option.

BlueTemplar

Re: The Weapons Liberation Mod 1.1

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 pm

- Strafe sections and Heavy Drones can mount all weapons now.
- CR no longer required for Heavy Beams research.
- Fixed : free cutting beams not appearing for large mounts.

EDIT : Oops, just discovered and fixed a problematic bug :
- Fixed : Zuul can now use ships with "fixed" heavy beams again.
Last edited by BlueTemplar on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Oh so this is the mod you were speaking of Blue, some nice changes for vanilla.

The Morrigi Assault section need neither Torpedo nor Heavy Beam to be available. (I tried to use an "OR" condition but it didn't work.)

For this you can do the "group" tech thing in mastertechlist to make one requirement for the section, essentially an "OR" condition.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 am

- Fixed : Removed heavy beams on large turrets and placeholder red laser weapon for heavy beams for Zuul due to problems.

BlueTemplar

Re: The Weapons Liberation Mod 1.2

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:49 am

1.3 : *still being tested*...
- Removed CR requirements for all large turret weapons research.
- Heavy Missiles can be used in spinal mounts too now.
- Added the missing min_ and max_inclination values for defense platforms formely missile-only turrets. (By the way it would seem that there was a bug in the vanilla game because the Medium Torpedo Platforms could mount non-missile weapons in their large mounts, but these values were missing.)
* There is still the problem that since platforms usually have only one weapon bank for these guns, then they can only target a single object with both of these guns, which means that usually only one of these guns will be able to fire, considering their placement. But the unmodded morrigi medium platform probably already had this problem.
* Problems with HCL's and Lancers in Spinal DE's and the "Standoff" behavior.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:32 pm

This looks cool. I've dealt with many of the same issues in my mod: missing azimuth values, changes to weapon dependencies to make things more varied throughout a game, etc., but without your focus on spinal mounts. I may look at merging some of your ideas with my mod, assuming you don't mind?

Having more viable spinal mounts - some reason for them - sounds like a very fine idea. :)

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Go ahead ;)

The main focus of this mod is to remove most limitations for weapon use - that should add more variety, without being problematic balance-wise.
A secondary benefit is that these limitations in the base game are generally not intuitive : for instance a player might not know you have to research both heavy beams and torpedoes to unlock the Barrage section, or the limitations of the Spinal DE section (probably remaining from before-expansions-SotS).

P.S.: And finally, I tried to do all that with the minimal amount of modding the files - first for balance reasons, and second, for easier integration with other mods.

P.P.S.: One thing I *did* want to do, that I felt was very problematic in SotS1, was how dominant and game changing light emitters are in the early game. I feel there needs to be an additional counter to them : my idea was to split Hardened Electronics into 2 techs, the first one being available much earlier.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:52 pm

I achieved those same goals, but differently:

I made "heavy torpedo" cruiser mission sections, so that they use all-torpedo for all of the fixed-weapon mounts (I can't mod the 3d stuff, so I used the barrage models, just swapping out the heavy-beams for torpedoes and living with the slight graphics incongruity). This gives players an immediate CR-level section unlock for any torpedo research.

I removed all missile-only weapon-banks from all ship designs (replacing them with same-sized turrets instead). So Humans and Liir especially have more options in how to design their ships. Same thing for all defensive satellites - so you can mount heavy turrets or missiles or whatever on those, again - more flexibility - more variety in games (AI happily uses this too).

You cannot have a 2-stage hardened electronics, because of the closed, fixed-nature of the sots game-effects engine. You can mod weapons reasonably flexibly, but you cannot add a new type of shield, cannot create any tech that doesn't exactly impart an already hard-coded function (such as hardened electronics - there is exactly one such tech in sots and it is 100% hard-coded - though there might be a global variable for how much that one and only one tech reduces the effectiveness of emitters).

I tried a nerfed emitter line - but found that it was not very fun to play. It just always made more sense to skip the emitter line in favor of beamers or blasters, and the AI seemed to concur. So I restored the vanilla settings for it, but made the tech cost as much as the upgrade to UV lasers. So now it takes longer to research, but is about on-par with the effectiveness for its cost (i.e. uv lasers are a reasonably similar level of deadly, but with obvious differences). Also - keep in mind that the autoresolve for emitters always underestimates them - which makes them actually less useful in a lot of circumstances (and no, you can't manual everything all of the time, such as "peace" stance - when the enemy doesn't accept peace, etc.)

...so thanks for the copyleft, I appreciate it. Same goes for my GC mod - feel free to steal stuff / ideas / build on it.

BlueTemplar

Re: The Weapons Liberation Mod 1.3

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:38 am

Update :
1.4 *still being tested*
- Made Detonating torpedoes automatic (instead of manual) fire, trying to fix the issue of them not doing area damage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BlueTemplar on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueTemplar

Re: The Weapons Liberation Mod 1.4a

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:56 pm

1.4a
- War sections now require Advanced Robotics.
- Changed main screen's title.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Looks fun! :D

Not playing sots atm - but I'm sure I'll come back to it :)

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks! I've now started a more in-depth mod :
BlueTemplar's Balance Mod :
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56443#p553416

Return to “Modding”