Hi-res Skybox/Planets/Solar Systems mod

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
R2dical

Re: Hi-res Skybox/Planets/Solar Systems mod

Post by R2dical » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Yeah I think I know what you are talking about, that is actually the "shadow" of the planet on the rings in the original photo. I thought that might look weird :? Thnx ill add to the list.

And yeah the moon (the actual model in the tact battlefield) , I forgot to ask about that, I think I exported without vertextpaint (rookie error :x ). Another for the patch.

Good news about the asteroids then, in the update I will include the file to boost numbers (might be a gameplay changer though) :googly:

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:55 pm

yeah, that picture is exactly what i was talking about, its not a big issue, the planet still looks freaking fantastic, but would be even better without it.
question is if u could do something about it?

should be possible to restore the moons from the old planet's mod? wich files do i have to look for if yes?

u plan on increasing the asteroid numbers? i usually shoot them :twisted:

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Ill have to look at in ingame (I've only actually seen maybe 20% of the stuff in here :lol: ) to see what the shaders are doing, but I'll probably add some blur and a "dark shadowy" image of the rings where the void is now. Basically easily fixable.

Well the new moon is much better ito poly count (UV mapping) and new texture (of our own real moon ;) ) but yeah looks like I goofed the export. Copy the spacepotato.x and associated texture in from the previous version in the meantime.

It looks great with lots of asteroids in (makes the central planet look like it has rings, see the brown gas giant pic in the first post where I used the increased count) but yes it has quite an effect on gameplay. So maybe I'll keep it for my upcoming gameplay mod.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:06 pm

hey R2, so ive been playing arround 200 turns and have to encountered any bugs with the new skyspheres. they are a fantastic adition to the game

i have 1 question:
if i wanted to increase the ambeint lightning in the battles, so that everything is a little bit brighter, witch values do i have to look for? ( i know in the file)
i have done this before but forgot the name of the value, and since my time is rather limited i thought u might be able to point me to it

So how is ur gameplaymod coming along? i have to say iam most curious about it.

here are some shots that impressed me (amongst many others :D)

greetings

p.s. cant resist posting this shot :)

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Cool shots! Thnx for posting them :D

Thnx for the bug update, I'm busy on a patch. From my notes:

Code: Select all

Purple gas giant star position off
Venus too dark - fixed
Mars too dark - fixed
Ancient planet too dark - fixed
Forgot to add new variants to resources.script
Saturn rings to shadowed - fixed
Moon vertextpaint error
Transparent asteroids on high count

For your question:

Well sounds like you know what lighting you want, but just in case:

From the skydefs.txt file:

Code: Select all

// To specify lighting (light1 is the main source, light2 is intended for backlight):
//   light1 "<yaw pitch>;<diffuse r g b>;<specular r g b>;<ambient r g b>"

Basically ambient lighting is non directional light, diffuse is directional incorporating the light source, specular is directional incorporating the light source and the object surface angle (shininess).

If you want to find out (alot) more about lighting check here (ambient, diffuse, specular, with shaders)

In my system skyboxes light1 is supposed to emulate the star position and colour, light 2 gives "cinematic" lighting from somewhere near the opposite position in 3D.

Light1 uses the system colour (red, green, orange, etc), has high diffuse and specular and low ambient.

Light 2 is a "white" light of low intensity with diffuse and ambient only.

To increase the general brightness (but keep the colour theme), I'd say increase the light 2 ambient equally across RBG and maybe light 1 a bit in ambient equally RBG also. Maybe all light2 to 50, and light 1 increase by 10.

Regarding my mod:

Yeah its going good. Given the massive amount of content its taking lots of time to test everything. To give an idea here are some figures of current build:

600 new weapons
500+ techs in a rebuilt forest of 22 trees.
100+ new section models per race
100s of weapon models
2000+ effect files

Tarkas are 95% done and liir maybe 80%. Once I'm finished the models for Tarkas (only weapon barrels to go) ill maybe do a beta release thing. I want to get it at least stable and playable before though as it is a grand campaign type mod and it would suck for a player to get 500 turns in then hit a crash :lol:

The main issues remaining are tech tree and AI, they work but need tweaking. Also still lots of effect files to go but I can skip many for just a Tarka release. Ill start an introduction thread soon describing the main concepts :D

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:50 pm

R2dical wrote:Regarding my mod:

600 new weapons
100s of weapon models
2000+ effect files

WTF R2! :googly: u wanna make kerberos look like beginners, cant wait for the tarkas beta.

tnx for the tipps on the lightning, that was exactly what i needed (basically i had no ida what light 1, 2 and specular meant:D)

GOGO grand campain mod !

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:59 pm

R2dical wrote:600 new weapons
100s of weapon models
2000+ effect files

:shock:

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:36 pm

Update patch 3.1 each for Planet Mod and Skybox mod up in first post:
Skybox Mod
All new skyboxes star position off - fixed
All new skyboxes pixelation artefacts - fixed
Venus too dark - fixed
Mars too dark - fixed
Ancient planet too dark - fixed
Saturn rings to shadowed - fixed

Planet Mod
Forgot to add new variants to resources.script - fixed
Moon vertextpaint error - fixed

Download the patches and copy of the contents into the mod folder. :)

Peter1x9

Post by Peter1x9 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:38 am

I've found a bug. I encountered a few blank planets and have traced the problem to the PlanetResources.script entries for a few of the "Dead" planets. One of the "Dead" planet entries for each race was missing the closing bracket ("}"). I fixed the problem on my computer and just finished a new game without seeing any blank planets.

Also, I really like the skyspheres. Is there a way to bring the skysphere planets to the foreground or completely eliminate their transparency? It looked strange having a nebula in front of one and the distant background stars shining through each planet's dark side.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:42 am

BlueTemplar wrote:
R2dical wrote:600 new weapons
100s of weapon models
2000+ effect files

:shock:

Shocked myself... I wonder how able the AI will be at using all these new toys. I wouldn't want to add new stuff that would give the player more edge over the AI.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:33 am

Peter1x9 wrote:I've found a bug. I encountered a few blank planets and have traced the problem to the PlanetResources.script entries for a few of the "Dead" planets. One of the "Dead" planet entries for each race was missing the closing bracket ("}"). I fixed the problem on my computer and just finished a new game without seeing any blank planets.

Also, I really like the skyspheres. Is there a way to bring the skysphere planets to the foreground or completely eliminate their transparency? It looked strange having a nebula in front of one and the distant background stars shining through each planet's dark side.

Good spot on the bug, thnx. Updated patch in first post.

Well, I set up the "models" in front of the skybox, but when writing the shader quite liked the effect as I thought it gave a sense of distance between the planet. I even wrote a separate shader to do what you describe but did not complete it.

Attached is the completed shader, overwrite the one in the mod file with this one and change SkyObjectAlpha.fx to SkyObjectGeneric.fx in skydefs.txt. One problem though, only some of the planet textures have alpha (transparency), the others have a black background. For now only change the shader for the ones with alpha to the new shader, the others won't work right. Let me know the results (maybe some pics too) and if it looks better I'll post the rest of the planets with alpha (or even update the mod). ;p

EDIT: Oh yeah, this will only affect the skybox texture, the stars are applied using a different shader and there is no way to differentiate the sky objects without changing the game source code. You can remove stars by changing "numBackgroundStarsModifier" in display.cfg to 0, and can even apply stars directly to the skybox texture to get the same look, but you will see stretching at places.

Space Voyager wrote:Shocked myself... I wonder how able the AI will be at using all these new toys. I wouldn't want to add new stuff that would give the player more edge over the AI.
Me too, I've done a lot of work with the AI and for the most part all the new toys are being enthusiastically hurled against me 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter1x9

Post by Peter1x9 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:17 pm

I figured the engine-generated stars were something unavoidable but was hoping not. Oh well. I also figured that this game stretches backgrounds like many others do. Imo, it would be more of a hassle than it's worth to remove all the engine-generated stars, then manually draw each individual star and adjust each one to compensate for the game engine's background stretching. I remember just how much of a p.i.t.a. it was to make backgrounds for Homeworld maps. lol

To me, the nebula in front of the planet is just out of place. In reality, the solar wind from the star combined with the gravity of the outer gas giant planets would eliminate all free-floating gas from the solar system. I'll try your fix out later and post some screenshots. The current setup does look pretty interesting though. It's probably more of a user preference thing than anything else.

Edit: you fixed all but two of the missing brackets. Here's a fixed version, just overwrite the old one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:07 pm

Peter1x9 wrote:Edit: you fixed all but two of the missing brackets. Here's a fixed version, just overwrite the old one.

Thanks, though I did notice and fix this now. I also left out a "}" in skydefs.txt, update on the way :)

There are other ways to deal with the stars, like removing the engine applied ones then add some in in the same way I added the planets -> using a model. A cube "in front" of the skybox will give the desired results with minimal stretching and will allow reuse of a single stars texture map, or as many as desired. My custom shaders can be used to apply the texture. Its all a question of effort/reward really :googly:

WRT realism, that kinda was out the window from the start...space battles are just not epic with a black/starry background :lol:

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Well, honestly, I find that too flashy backgrounds distract from the action itself, so a balance must be kept. See the relatively muted backgrounds in Homeworld 1 / 2.

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:00 am

All business eh BT? better avoid the screenshots in this thread then ;p

Whats your take on weapon/ship effects? In my upcoming mod I've tended towards realism but every now an then I cant resist an over the top, flashy showstopper of death :twisted:

Return to “Modding”