Hi-res Skybox/Planets/Solar Systems mod

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
BlueTemplar

Re: Hi-res Skybox/Planets/Solar Systems mod

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:52 am

Sorry, I'm busy with SotS 2 these days, so I haven't had time to try your mod. If I'm not mistaken, this one includes it, so I might be able to test it soon in MP :
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 16&t=21763

Peter1x9

Post by Peter1x9 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:47 am

Well darn. I finally found a nice system with a background planet that had a perfect transparency and a nebula behind it. But of course the only thing the AI had there was one little destroyer (planet wasn't even colonized) and the battle ended almost instantly. So I couldn't get the screenshot. :cry:
What I saw looked pretty darn good though! :)

And I also just noticed a blank square where a background planet would be then saw your post.

Lord Primus

Post by Lord Primus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:11 am

Wow R2dical,

This is fantastic work, really really impressed.

I look forward to you mod, you are so much further into yours than I am in mine.

Keep up the great work.

LP

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Thnx LP, I look forward to releasing my new mod :)

Ok so new updates (in the first post). SkyboxMod_V3.2_Patch.7z and PlanetMod_V3.3_Patch.7z.

SkyboxMod patch fixes;
-some star positions and errors in skydef.txt
-includes my new shader (doesn't blend with background) and all planets with transparency (all planets now use this shader but I may change this if in some cases the old looks better)
-a new tactical star texture.

Due to file size this patch goes on top of the last. So Version 3 + V3.1 patch + V3.2 patch.

PlanetMod patch is a little more complicated. Due to my minimal testing I have only noticed now that a major feature of that mod doesn't actually work! :oops: Specifically, the variations (12 so far) of "dustballs" show in strategic view but only 1 is actually used in combat...the same as way stock sots. After some investigation it looks like there is no simple fix but I have come up with a somewhat awkward solution. Its a little program that shuffles the config file so each time you load sots a random variation will come up as tactical, it takes some specific setup but should not be any more hassle to run once working. Details in the download.

Now since the asset files have been in the mod download for a while and no one else has seemed to notice this issue the practical upside is: more cool content :lol:

Also some bug fixes, including a fixed moon model. This patch goes on top of the Version 3 main mod or over the last patch.

These patches are becoming messy, so apologies, but I will compile a complete set after some more time to bug test :googly:

Peter1x9

Post by Peter1x9 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:09 pm

Actual ingame screenshots. Looking great!

:D
Last edited by Peter1x9 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter1x9

Post by Peter1x9 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Bug report:

I noticed one of the systems had a missing skysphere texture. I was in a game vs a Morrigi and Zuul, and a few of the Morrigi low-population worlds were also missing textures. I went through everything and didn't notice any missing brackets anywhere in the skydefs or planetresources or planetmoddata script files. Maybe there's a typo or missing line somewhere?

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Nice shots ;) Looks like that new shader is working fine. And Saturn came out ok? Didn't get a chance to see if my work on the rings looked good...

Thnx for the report. I took a look at the files now but could not see any obvious errors. Do you have any more info to point me in the right direction?

Any errors in session.log? Typo errors will come up here as well as corrupt files (something like XXX could not be found or XXX could not be loaded).

I'm assuming the enemy was Morrigi so the texture was the "in combat" one? Was it the atmosphere (clouds), "day" side or "night" side (with the city lights)?
Did you see a purple/black texture or something else (garbled, black, etc)?
Don't suppose you noticed which level of CH their planet was?

For the skybox, you remember which star/lighting colour(shows as ambient and specular) it was (blue, purple, red, yellow)?
Or if any objects showed (nebulas or planets)?
Again if there was a little purple/black square?

Any saves or session.log reports are the best for errors. Thanks again for the bug :googly:

Peter1x9

Post by Peter1x9 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:29 pm

I give up. Which obscure directory does this game hide its log files in?

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 pm

The most obscure of them all, the root dir! :lol: Its created in real time while the game is running but remains after exit, it appears along with sots.exe.

Peter1x9

Post by Peter1x9 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:12 am

I hate windows. It wasn't in my root directory. On my computer (windows 7 64-bit) it was buried way down in "C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive". :evil:

Anyways, inside the log file these two show up over and over.

Warning: [Models/Planets/Dead/Strat_Dead_Ancient_Surface.dds] Texture load failed.
Warning: [Models/Planets/Dead/Strat_Dead_Ancient_Population.dds] Texture load failed.

I checked all the downloads for the mod and patches, and those two files are indeed missing. Every other type has a Surface.dds, Population.dds, and Atmosphere.dds. The only file listed for Ancient is "Strat_Dead_Ancient_Atmosphere.dds".

I didn't find anything about any of the skysphere textures.

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:18 am

Peter1x9 wrote:I hate windows. It wasn't in my root directory. On my computer (windows 7 64-bit) it was buried way down in "C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive". :evil:
Ahh the joys of Win7 policing of program files dir. This can actually lead to quite a number of problems for older games (especially with mods), and its recommended you install sots outside the Program Files/ directory :googly:

Thanks for the report. Strange, I have those files in my folder, maybe I forgot to include them in the patch...Ill upload a new one once I track down the other bug also. In the meantime you can copy and rename "Dead_Ancient_Surface.dds" and "Dead_Ancient_Population.dds" to their "Strat_XXX" versions, shouldn't give any performance issues for just those 2.

EDIT: Ok checked the download, I left out 6 planet textures in the latest patch. Since the skybox bug will be fixed in the other patch I upped a new version of the planet patch (V3.4) in the first post. :)

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Hey R2dical. Your overhaul mod looks really interesting, even if it is just Tarkas and Liir to start. As a fan of the humans, any chance they could be race no. 3?

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Hey Sparta, thnx, busy prepping an alpha in hopes of some forumites helping to test :)

Hivers are looking like the next closest to being included (80% of models), which is good because they use some very interesting weapon concepts (think DN size plasma throwers, locust style swarm drones and melee combat :twisted:).

Humans are a wildcard. I do have some cool tech and weapon concepts planned and I like their FTL, but not their ship design. I was planning a remodel for them, like Okim did, and made some concept models but given the work needed for the current planned features then decided to get the stock ones in first. Therefore they were to be the last on the list.

That said they require the same work as Zuul and Morrigi will so no reason they can't be 4th in the current planned spec. Once the core of the mod is up and running (techs, weapons, effects and tying it all up), "bolting on" each race is quite quick using my file editors, modelling workflow and species specific .effects needs.

:googly:

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Wow. I didn't realize you were doing that much work. Mind showing off a few of your SolForce concepts? I'd also be happy to test an alpha. SotS1 is currently uninstalled right now due to lack of new content, but your mod would make me install it again.

Oh, and it is Sparda, not Sparta. No, my name has nothing to do with Spartans of any kind. Yes, this happens a lot.

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:01 pm

SpardaSon21 wrote:Oh, and it is Sparda, not Sparta. No, my name has nothing to do with Spartans of any kind. Yes, this happens a lot.
Indeed that’s an unfortunate pickle. Apologies Sparda ;)

Sure ill post a few pics, just got to finish texturing the one as its almost done. It will be a long time before there is a complete Human fleet though, pity Okim dropped his Ironclad, he was quite far along :cry:

Return to “Modding”