Hi-res Skybox/Planets/Solar Systems mod

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
R2dical

Re: Hi-res Skybox/Planets/Solar Systems mod

Post by R2dical » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Ok attached are some concepts I had for human replacement.

Render 1.png

This one is done all by me, model and textures originals. It is a cruiser mission section, originally a Tarka concept, lots of smooth points for turrets :twisted: The command and engine are not complete yet.

Render2.png

This is based off a model I got given when looking around for some higher res Wing Commander capships. Fairly high poly count but could work as a DN model, It reminds me of Okims Ironclads as well as SOTSII EOF Loa :)

Render3.png

This is a model based off a model I found. I liked the idea of human ships using design concepts from real world space vehicles (the engine section in this example), it would be a great addition to a "realism" mod for sots. Super high poly count though, it needs some work to be useable in sots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mark

Post by mark » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Very interesting stuff...is the last one a super swift from space 1999 (cult Jerry Anderson SciFi show from the 70's) I loved that ship as a kid, The episode it came from was a classic if I remember. I sure I used to have that model and some textures to. The second one is surprisingly like okims ironclads...in particular the prow. One thing that is worth remembering is that sots combat has its really physics engine. If a model is wide and flat it can get knocked about a lot, same can be said if its long and thin. It can also dictate how the ship moves. Looks very promising..
Keep your eyes on the Horizon.

mark

Post by mark » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Sorry my mistake... it was a mk1V hawk not a super swift, the swift had different fuel cell booster layout.
It could look a little strange when you start to load it out with turrets n stuff. Are you thinking destroyer or cruiser?

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:07 pm

That second render is the Sulaco, the ship from Aliens. Copied numerous times, so there are copies of copies of copies around. Cool looking ship. 8)
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:54 pm

I've always been rather partial to the Babylon 5 designs for early human warships. They're slow but well-armored and pack a good punch, especially the Nova and Omega designs.

If this was a mod for SotS 2 I'd suggest a hybrid of the Colonial ships from the new BSG and the Noah warships from Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, but those are probably a bit too high-tech for this era.

mark

Post by mark » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:02 pm

As you probably know I've got literary 100s of models based on homeworld, nexus, eve, b5, star trek even some halo and more obscure stuff like Genesis uprising. The problem is they are mostly single section and the ai won't play ball with them. Just dropping them into sots verse doesn't seem right. If only I could work around the ai / single section problem I could have a total conversion for all six races done in no time...I've just never been able to get my head around the whole ai ship selection process...

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Thnx for pointing out where those models originally came from (both that series and movie came out before I was even born :lol: ).

I'd like to do a human conversion, but much planned for before that!

mark wrote:If only I could work around the ai / single section problem I could have a total conversion for all six races done in no time...I've just never been able to get my head around the whole ai ship selection process...

Yeah I tried this (see my WC mod demo), and it always ends up a compromise somewhere due to AI. It could be done though if you had LOTS of models and don't mind giving up some customization and combat effects variation. I have a thread dedicated to AI stuff somewhere, but its pretty basic getting the AI to use a model, specify the name and a purpose in a dedicated AI file and presto. Problem is that there is a limit to the number of ships (50), so each race TC will have to use the same names for their ships.

Marbo

Post by Marbo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:09 pm

I grabbed SOTS complete off steam and I can't seem to get this mod to work. (possibly any mod)

I downloaded the files and put them in a Mod directory in the SOTS base folder. Then I tried manual mounting by modifying the ini file and the mode manager. My mod directory has extracted folders inside so it would be like SOTS\Mods\SkyboxMod etc etc.

My ini file looks like this:

Mount1=Mods\workingdir
Mount2=Mods\SkyboxMod
Mount3=Mods\PlanetsMod
Mount4=Mods\SolarSystemMod
Mount5=sots_local_en.gob
Mount6=sots.gob

I strart the game manual and with the manager itself and there does not appear to be any changes. Any suggestions?

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:43 pm

I don't use steam at all (not a fan, but anyway :) ) so can't comment on any specific issues regarding mods and steam, but AFAIK mounting with sots.ini etc is the same.

I don't use mod manager, so again can't vouch for any specific issues regarding using it and my mods. I would recommend you don't use it at least to start as it is very possible that it moves files in a way that causes my mods to break, especially this set of mods as their file structure is very sensitive. For now to get things to work I'd say remove it completely. The next version update should make things easier, when I get round to finishing and releasing... :roll:

Your .ini looks fine, assuming that you have nothing in "workingdir" that affects or overrides my mods...

You have to launch SOTS through steam, correct? You can't launch SOTS from an exe in the game dir? Not that this should be a problem, but at least to test and get things working...You want a quick way to see if mods are being mounted, the easiest way is to add a quick check image for this purpose:
- Make the file structure, for example "\Mods\NewMod\GUI\MainMenu\" and put in a (random, any will do) image called "Title.tga". I attached the one from my Twilight mod for you to test.
- Add this mod dir to sots.ini (Eg Mount1=Mods\NewMod, Mount1=Mods\workingdir, Mount3=Mods\SkyboxMod, etc...).
- Now if you run sots and these mods are mounting correctly, then you will see "TwilightMod" logo at main menu.

Make sure there are none of the temporary/user file issues typical from windows, which happen for files in ProgramFiles. Again, not sure how steam handles this.

Once you do get these working, its worth noting that PlanetsMod has a pretty big feature that requires users to run the included .bat file before launching sots. With steam this is probably an issue, so as a workaround:
- From the mod download zip, inside is a .bat file that must go in sots root dir. Open this file in notepad (rightclick -> edit).
- At the bottom is the line "START "SOTS - \Graphics Mod" "%~dp0Sword of the Stars.exe"", delete this whole line and save.
- Before launching sots each time you play, run this .bat file.
- FYI this "Randomizes" the tactical combat planet textures so you get the great variety, not just the same one all the time :googly:

Post/ask if you need more help, and good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marbo

Post by Marbo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:07 pm

I tried your test file and it worked. So I reextracted everything. I think it may be working because the solar system mod works on planets I have not explored. I appreciate the help.

bluestrike15

Post by bluestrike15 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Im having trouble downloading the planets mod, Even after changing the names of the files i cant seem to open them in either 7zip or winrar.

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:11 pm

Yeah for a number of reasons this mods files are quite a mess :roll: Sorry about that.

So you renamed the files exactly as described (so have "HiRes_Planets_V3.7z.001" and "HiRes_Planets_V3.7z.002" in the same dir...note the double file extension) and right-click on the ".001" -> 7zip -> Open archive...

And then what happens? What message? Describe exactly what you have done, what you expect, where it fails and what it says so I can help ;)

bluestrike15

Post by bluestrike15 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:14 pm

I can open 001 just fine but 002 says:

Can not open file
'C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\HiRes_Planets_V3.7z.002' as archive

From right clicking the file, I tried opening it from 7zip manager itself and it showed a diolag box for a milisecond and disappeared and did nothing

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:46 pm

Ok, so its a 2 part archive so just open the .001 file with 7zip and run the extraction. It will automatically carry on with the .002 file in the same dir no need to open that one :)

FYI the 7zip manager is a shell extension, meant to run from a right click menu not standalone so will not work that way unfortunately.

bluestrike15

Post by bluestrike15 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know what a two part archive was so i was confused. It works perfectly now good work.

Return to “Modding”