Bastard Sword of the Stars 3.0.2

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Grandma

Re: Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.1

Post by Grandma » Tue May 24, 2016 3:15 pm

Really good work on this mod! Had to make an account just to say that.

Been playing this mod nearly constantly since 2.0a and find 2.1 to be even better in terms of balance and thouroughly enjoy the revised tech tree.
If I have any complaints at all to bring forth, they are merely about the colour scheme of the HUD, where I would prefer the original look with less pink/red-ish.
And the description of researching "heavy shields" should be looked at.

Small question; the siege driver DN mission module isn't supposed to take any damage on ships?
I don't know if this is from the mod or original game, but in BSOTS 2.1 I fired it on enemy ships and combat report indicates 0 damage from the siege driver.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Tue May 24, 2016 5:37 pm

@Drages -
That's basically what they are now, with Sniper cannons being even slower, and even longer range, but same damage / shot as mass cannons.

Last time I played with autocannons - they seemed to be too low dps. but to be honest, I was only using the small mount ones (lots of destroyer combats in fission age in that game).

But they seemed too damn weak. Need to test them again, and maybe buff them again.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Tue May 24, 2016 5:41 pm

Grandma wrote:Really good work on this mod! Had to make an account just to say that.

Much appreciated!

Grandma wrote:Been playing this mod nearly constantly since 2.0a and find 2.1 to be even better in terms of balance and thouroughly enjoy the revised tech tree.
If I have any complaints at all to bring forth, they are merely about the colour scheme of the HUD, where I would prefer the original look with less pink/red-ish.
And the description of researching "heavy shields" should be looked at.

I should do a little mini-mod to restore the HUD to vanilla. There are a few that hate the red, though I changed it largely because I hated the orange, orange, more orange! of vanilla. :}

(I'll look at heavy shields as well, thx)

Grandma wrote:Small question; the siege driver DN mission module isn't supposed to take any damage on ships?
I don't know if this is from the mod or original game, but in BSOTS 2.1 I fired it on enemy ships and combat report indicates 0 damage from the siege driver.

I have next to no experience using that weapon - and my vague memory from long ago when I did use it in vanilla - it did no damage to ships - only to planet.

I find that lame, to say the least, but your experience is the same as my (admittedly vague) memory. BSOTS doesn't alter that .weapon to the best of my knowledge.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Wed May 25, 2016 2:47 am

Alpha Centauri wrote:
Grandma wrote:Small question; the siege driver DN mission module isn't supposed to take any damage on ships?

I have next to no experience using that weapon - and my vague memory from long ago when I did use it in vanilla - it did no damage to ships - only to planet.

I find that lame, to say the least, but your experience is the same as my (admittedly vague) memory. BSOTS doesn't alter that .weapon to the best of my knowledge.

... I've used Siege Drivers against enemy ships to quite good effect before, although it's not easy to hit even a DN with them. I have actually destroyed enemy ships with it. I think the 0 damage reported is a bug, tbh.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Wed May 25, 2016 3:05 am

That could be... I really don't use it, so I should shut up :)

MZ0125

Post by MZ0125 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:11 am

Alpha Centauri wrote:I've enjoyed using regular mines. I haven't had a chance to use leaping, but I'm sure they're ridiculous. In a good way. :D

Try it. You will love it. ;)

Grandma

Post by Grandma » Wed May 25, 2016 11:47 am

... I've used Siege Drivers against enemy ships to quite good effect before, although it's not easy to hit even a DN with them. I have actually destroyed enemy ships with it. I think the 0 damage reported is a bug, tbh.

You have actually destroyed enemy ships with the siege driver? I've hit cruisers directly with it and even then they showed no signs of damage, either visually or in the report. They do get knocked around by the force though! Which is hilarous.

BTW
Is there a full tech tree for BSOTS 2.1 to view somewhere so I can know what I'm doing when researching (what's connected to what, with chance etc)? It's a bit of a learning experience to see what I get (and that's fun in itself), however sometimes I need a strategy and plan that only comes with such a reference.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Wed May 25, 2016 5:15 pm

The entire tree is available visually in the root folder of BSOTS. It's currently "TechTree 2.0b.png".

I haven't changed the tech tree too significantly for 2.1, so it's pretty accurate.

MZ0125 wrote:
Alpha Centauri wrote:I've enjoyed using regular mines. I haven't had a chance to use leaping, but I'm sure they're ridiculous. In a good way. :D

Try it. You will love it. ;)

I spent a long tremendously enjoyable evening last night playing a "Fusion Age" start game with 1 of each race. Turn 120ish or so now, just getting into antimatter age, and nearly finished slaying the Tarkas.

Hiver - who are their allies - is my next target, and who of course are quite strong initially. My pwn the Tarkas fleets were badly mangled in my initial encounters with the bugs, so maybe I'll go for the leap mines tonight :twisted:

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed May 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Did 2.1 change anything related to what the default starting techs are or chances of getting certain techs?

I ask because my last 2.0b game I got zero energy weapons to start and in my current just started 2.1 game I now have both pulsed lasers and beamers to start. I was playing Hivers both times btw.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Shadoz

Post by Shadoz » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:04 am

Hi Guys

iam interesting in this mod an want to try it out ...

is there any manual or wiki or something like with overview of all changes new weapons etc. ???

thx for helping :-)

puglebugle

Post by puglebugle » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:09 pm

Shadoz wrote:Hi Guys

iam interesting in this mod an want to try it out ...

is there any manual or wiki or something like with overview of all changes new weapons etc. ???

thx for helping :-)

Hi there is a techtree picture and a readme when you download it :D. Gameplay is not that much different from vanilla, its not total conversion.
Realistic Combat/Naval Gunnery/TechTree Revision SubMod (v1.1) for Bsots (mod for Sots 1) http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57039&p=555149#p555149

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:28 am

Most information is in the root folder of the mod.

There's a detailed changes log file - along with a techtree image that you can use to see the entire tech tree (which is significantly changed from vanilla).

I also coded what era things are in, along with icons to show you what additional prerequisites there are for each one (the link line itself indicates a prereq, but an icon will show you other requirements).

I didn't put the %chances on there because it's too much a PIMA. Plus, I keep changing those things as I play more. Or have other ideas, etc.

What you start with is randomized. Every race has at least one starting weapon tech - but the rest is purely random. I think the change log tells which races start with what guaranteed.

There is also a spreadsheet with the weapons in it - coded to show their accuracy, dps, costs ,etc. It's a ton of data for those who want to go exploring the details (but be warned: all such information is ... stimulatory in nature - I cannot capture in numbers the reality of playing through the game with various weapons and shields and defenses and so on - so you can get a sense maybe of what weapons are doing in theory, but the reality will always be context-dependent).

I hope you have fun!

PS: There's also a utility subfolder where I put all my programming tools, notes, batch scripts, perl scripts, etc. which you can use (if you can figure out how to - takes some basic programming / technical orientation - but not terribly hard). I also always produce alternate tech tree files - so you can just rename yours to use one of those which gives 100% for all techs, or other variations (see the tech files for details).

prometheus72

Post by prometheus72 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:20 am

I've loaded the mod. Ive changed the sots.ini
etc etc
when I play the executable file, i get vanilla SOTS every time. I even reinstalled and reloaded mod and modmanager. Still, vanilla 100%.
I'm told that direct2drive and/or gamefly has an encrypted GOB file that prevents mods. Could this be my problem?
If so, do y'all have any of them unencrypted GOB files left?

celebrity_tyrone_biggums.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sean from Orlando
Artist, Interactive Developer (Web)

prometheus72

Post by prometheus72 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:28 am

I've loaded the mod. Ive changed the sots.ini
etc etc
when I play the executable file, i get vanilla SOTS every time. I even reinstalled and reloaded mod and modmanager. Still, vanilla 100%.
I'm told that direct2drive and/or gamefly has an encrypted GOB file that prevents mods. Could this be my problem?
If so, do y'all have any of them unencrypted GOB files left?

OR IS THERE ANOTHER/EASIER FIX??
Sean from Orlando
Artist, Interactive Developer (Web)

zernach

Post by zernach » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:56 am

Something weird is going on in my install, my triple barrel drivers are shooting blanks. The firing cycle works but nothing comes out of the barrels. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Return to “Modding”