Bastard Sword of the Stars 3.0.2

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Alpha Centauri

Re: Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.1

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:41 pm

zernach wrote:Something weird is going on in my install, my triple barrel drivers are shooting blanks. The firing cycle works but nothing comes out of the barrels. Any ideas what might be wrong?

You mean the 3x barrel antimatter end-game tech?

I have no idea! You can look in your error log file in the SOTs root folder - and post it here (after you run through a battle where you try to use them). I can see if there's a hint in there.

I've played a couple games with them and they worked fine (well, better than fine! they're ridiculous). But maybe something happened at the last min to break them? Or maybe you do have a goofed up install?

Are you using other mods with this one?

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:45 pm

prometheus72 wrote:I've loaded the mod. Ive changed the sots.ini
etc etc
when I play the executable file, i get vanilla SOTS every time. I even reinstalled and reloaded mod and modmanager. Still, vanilla 100%.
I'm told that direct2drive and/or gamefly has an encrypted GOB file that prevents mods. Could this be my problem?
If so, do y'all have any of them unencrypted GOB files left?

OR IS THERE ANOTHER/EASIER FIX??

I have no idea what you're talking about?

TTBOMK, Sots has never had any encryption. I've had copies from Steam and Gamer's gate and off of DVD from Kerberos. All work. But if D2D is screwy - pick up a copy from somewhere elise.

Are you sure you've got Complete Collection? It won't work with anything less than the final version that includes everything - SOTS + BOB + AMOC + ANY (all included in CC).

zernach

Post by zernach » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:02 am

The session log was a wash, no reported errors that I can see.

I'm running BOTS solo, but I have a suspicion that me switching between ACM and BOTS has done "something" to my game. Mainly because thats the only other mod that I run. Oh and I switch between them manually by editing the sots.ini file if that helps.

Going to test what happens with a fresh BOTS install and ripping ACM out from the SOTS mod folder.

Edit: Testing proved fruitless, did a fresh install of SOTS and then a fresh BOTS and loaded my save from a backup. Will do some more testing with a fresh save and the all tech techtree to see if its just the old save.

Edit 2: New save with the full techtree had the same problem, but there I noticed that they apparently work in autobattle.

Edit 3: It seems it's specifically Hiver triple drivers that are broken for me, tested all the other races and they worked.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:59 am

Hiver is broken? That sounds like something I can investigate and fix.

Your session.log is overwritten everytime you start up sots. so to get a useful one - you have to make sure you copy it as soon as you exit sots after running into a problem.

bsots and acm are totally incompatible - you cannot swap them within a single savegame - or you can be certain everything will break. (don't know if you did that - unclear - but just to be clear and for others reading this...)

bsots and some graphics-only mods can be combined. but you have to ensure that the other mods only touch visuals - there really can't be much by the way of overlapping changes (first one loaded wins).

manual edits or using the mod manager doesn't matter - all it does is update your sots.ini based on the order in which you clicked things. So - same thing.

Thanks for looking into it a bit more. I think I played mostly Tarks with the 3-barrel heavy driver. there well could be a problem just in the hiver files (different turret model that is missing or misnamed or somesuch).

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:44 pm

For the first time playing a modded SOTS Prime game since mods first came out for it, I have to say that you and the others have done a very, very good job.

I do have a few notes though.

Fully colonized (0 CH) Morrigi worlds show up as black and pink flat textures when in combat sometimes. Anyone else had this or is it my laptop doing it? Doesn't do it in the vanilla game.
Related to above, I noticed that in the same encounter that the background was also doing the pink\black solid color for some of its elements. Would have taken a screenshot but my laptop wasn't co-operating with the steam overlay for some reason.

AI ship counts. Unless there's some way to bypass that 32 bit problem, I'm forced to autoresolve a fair number of my later game fights as the AI sends well over 200 CRs in a single fleet or has that many simply orbiting their world. It'll just crash if I attempt to do it manually. Known Issue I assume?

Pulsed Graviton Beams. While its amusing to see them throwing DNs and DN-sized platforms around like candy, had to stop using them because they'd keep flinging ships off into the distance. At least the platforms quickly got themselves back in orbit.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:24 am

all known issues.

Tractor beams / Pulsed Grav beams - yeah, bsots allows them to be more places and they can become silly. I tend to play to a certain point - where the game becomes tedious for me - and start a new one. lol - not a great solution, but that's my solution. You can always disable certain techs by messing with the mastertechlist.tech file - simply comment out all of the 'allows' lines that lead to the techs you don't want. E.g. "SLD_Intang" is unreachable in BSOTS - there aren't any "allows" lines that lead to them. Do the same for plused grav beams or/and tractor beams and you'll remove them from the game, if that's what you prefer. NOTE: TECH CHANGES ALWAYS REQUIRE A NEW GAME!

The pink/black texturing is probably related to memory constraints on your video card, or possibly a bug in the video driver. Either way, it doesn't happen earlier in a game or on a video card with more RAM (I haven't seen it since I moved to a 4gb video card).

Super large battles - happen late game in large enough galaxies. Yes - you're just running into address exhaustion for a 32bit game. You can use something like 4gb_patch (http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php) which can force mars.exe to be recognized as being "4GB aware" - instead of the normal 2GB limit for signed 32bit values - but ... that may or may not help. Most software needs to be extensively tested and written for 4GB awareness for it to work properly. Still - it may help some. NOTE: YOU MUST DISABLE STEAM'S AUTO-UPDATE OR ELSE IT WILL "FIX" YOUR MODIFIED MARS.EXE AFTER YOU PATCH IT TO EFFECTIVELY UN-PATCH IT!

You can of course reduce the late game exponential growth of all things by playing on a smaller map.

Yeah, ultimately it would be sooo nice to have a way to fix old games to properly use all 32bits instead of 31bits for their addressing - but most programs - even leading lights in the field - still argue for using signed numbers always unless absolutely necessary - which to me is just wrong. unsigned for all addressing needs - and signed only for mathematical computation (excluding addresses). /soapbox

Until then, we just have to find ways to have fun within the limits. You may find some more relief by disabling some of the higher rez skyboxes for battles, if you don't mind losing visuals? or there are some controls for graphics in the games options panel that you can reduce (reduced visual distance may speed things up, not sure it helps with VRAM exhaustion?)

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:50 am

I've "fixed" all of the issues on my end, so its all going okay now.

Something you may want to confirm is the Liirian Torpedo Drone, its model file does not match the one in its section file so it does not show up and will crash the game if used. (The filename for the model has a space in it that the sectionfile doesn't have. I just removed the space and it worked fine.)

Personally, I removed the tractor ability from the Graviton and Pulsed Graviton and simply upped their damage slightly. Still got the Tractor Beam if I want to throw things around. :)

The pink\black textures is just my laptop having problems. I thought it was Morrigi related but it can happen on any planet or background, nothing I can do about it.
The SuperLarge battles... I upped the research cost of cruiser construction and lowered the cost of dreadnought construction and while it means DNs come out earlier, I've not once had to face 200+CR fleets which crash the game. Instead its typically a mix of CRS and DNs, or pure DNs late game and as DNs are so expensive, the AI doesn't group them into a giant fleet.

I also disabled trade as that makes the end of turn processing far, far faster. But that's just me - I don't do trade in SOTS2 either. ;)
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:42 pm

All good ideas :)
Glad you've got it working well enough to have a good game or ten :)

puglebugle

Post by puglebugle » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:12 pm

What about reducing Force variable in Graviton Beams family? (from 3000 and 5000 to ..500 and 1000 respectively, if I remember correctly)

In theory it should maybe work like: now it can move only smaller (with less mass) targets. Or targets with smaller speed, because it could break hold.
But does it work? Or is this variable redundant?
Realistic Combat/Naval Gunnery/TechTree Revision SubMod (v1.1) for Bsots (mod for Sots 1) http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57039&p=555149#p555149

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:30 pm

I've never played with those variables?! worth trying!

puglebugle

Post by puglebugle » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:23 pm

I dont have a savegame with these things so Im looking forward to seeing how that works.
Realistic Combat/Naval Gunnery/TechTree Revision SubMod (v1.1) for Bsots (mod for Sots 1) http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57039&p=555149#p555149

Shenaldrac

Post by Shenaldrac » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:19 am

I just wanted to pop in and say it makes me so, so happy to see there's still people who love SotS and are making mods for it. Just finished DLing 2.1 of BSotS and am about to try it out. You guys all rock!

EZ.Foz

Post by EZ.Foz » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:34 am

Hello Alpha Centauri ! I like your Bastard Sword of the Stars MOD very much ! The balance is great ! But the bad things is that I have only the Version 1.0c . And I found your download links are invalid or missing in this page , so I can't download the lastest version of the MOD . Im very sad about this these days. So can you offer new download links to me ? my email add is 1258228646@qq.com . Anyway , thank you very much for making this great MOD ! It make me fun !

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:36 am

EZ.Foz wrote:Hello Alpha Centauri ! I like your Bastard Sword of the Stars MOD very much ! The balance is great ! But the bad things is that I have only the Version 1.0c . And I found your download links are invalid or missing in this page , so I can't download the lastest version of the MOD . Im very sad about this these days. So can you offer new download links to me ? my email add is 1258228646@qq.com . Anyway , thank you very much for making this great MOD ! It make me fun !

Hi EZ.Fox, here's a link to my copy (ver. 2.1).
(Warning: it's a 600MB zipped file)

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:07 am

EZ.Foz wrote:Hello Alpha Centauri ! I like your Bastard Sword of the Stars MOD very much ! The balance is great ! But the bad things is that I have only the Version 1.0c . And I found your download links are invalid or missing in this page , so I can't download the lastest version of the MOD . Im very sad about this these days. So can you offer new download links to me ? my email add is 1258228646@qq.com . Anyway , thank you very much for making this great MOD ! It make me fun !

Warcat posted a link in his reply -
but I just popped back to the first post in this thread - and that link still works for me. Is it dead for other people?
It's a standard mediafire link - and my account with them is current.

Return to “Modding”