Bastard Sword of the Stars 3.0.2

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Shenaldrac

Re: Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.1

Post by Shenaldrac » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:31 am

It worked a couple weeks back when I downloaded and installed 2.1.

Shadoz

Post by Shadoz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:24 am

hi there

i have a question about tech tree.

in the mod folder ( BSotS 2.1 ) in the techtree folder there are several *.tech files ...

MasterTechList.tech is the main file the game loads for working like it should be ( random tech for races ) i think

what are the other *.tech files for ? can i use them by renaming ( to MasterTechList.tech ) for 100% chance or have all techs unlocked at start ???

here are the other *.tech files ... what are they used for ???

MasterTechList (100 Chances).tech
MasterTechList (100% Chances).tech
MasterTechList (All Tech).tech
MasterTechList (End Game).tech
MasterMasterTechList.tech

thanks for helping

puglebugle

Post by puglebugle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Shadoz wrote:hi there
MasterTechList.tech is the main file the game loads for working like it should be ( random tech for races ) i think

what are the other *.tech files for ? can i use them by renaming ( to MasterTechList.tech ) for 100% chance or have all techs unlocked at start ???

here are the other *.tech files ... what are they used for ???

thanks for helping

MasterTechList.tech is yes, semi random tech for races. (each race got different chances)
yes exactly, you can just rename them and they should work. However you should be unable to load a game saved with another tech file.

If i remember correctly:
MasterTechList (100% Chances).tech Is that you can research all tech, no random chances.
MasterTechList (All Tech).tech You should have all tech from start?
MasterTechList (End Game).tech Fusion start?
MasterMasterTechList.tech This one could be tech without planetary missiles. But im not sure about this.
Realistic Combat/Naval Gunnery/TechTree Revision SubMod (v1.1) for Bsots (mod for Sots 1) http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57039&p=555149#p555149

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Pugle almost has it:

MasterTechList (100% Chances).tech Is that you can research all tech, no random chances.
Correct - you will be allowed to research everything (except race-specific stuff). You still have to research it from starting from nothing as a normal game.

MasterTechList (All Tech).tech You should have all tech from start?
Correct - you literally start with all the techs that you would be allowed to have in MasterTechList (100% Chances).

MasterTechList (End Game).tech Fusion start?
Nope - this one give normal chances to research, but sets cost to zero. Therefore, each time you START a game, you end up with some combinations of research as if you'd run an entire game and researched everything you could.
So, because the randomizer might deny you lasers - you have all of the ballistics but no lasers.
Capice?

The final one - MasterMasterTechList.tech - is my own copy of the source file - from which all of the others are created using various scripts in the utilites folder...

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:20 am

I'd recommend making the tractor beam and pulsed graviton beam's Force variables back to stock. It makes late game really strange at times.
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:14 pm

I'm unaware of any way to control those. They are, TTBOMK, at stock, and have always been.

Reiver

Post by Reiver » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Gave it a try. Pretty interesting, though the need to buy every individual paradigm of ship hull gets a little irritating when it ends up more of a turn-based tax than a gameplay one (because I can afford way more than one at a time by the time I start needing the things, haha), but heck, I'll manage. :)

One thing though - how does one get Point Defense Technologies? I tried teching up the weapon and automation trees, but as Hivers it just wasn't there. Should it have been, or did I miss another secret pre-requisite?

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:08 pm

not sure what issue you encountered with PD.

PD is available for most weapon-lines. Lasers, beamers, ballistics.

TTBOMK, they simply require the base tech type (e.g. Pulsed Lasers) and any of the combat ship construction techs (e.g. Battle Construction).

Then you get the ability to research that PD tech (which is always available - only Phaser PD and Interceptor Missiles are not-guaranteed).

You may want to try 2.5 - which I just posted on that thread.

Luke Skywalker

Post by Luke Skywalker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Awesome mod for awesome game!
Anyone tried to beat the Hiver Invasion scenario as defenders? Bsots doesnt make it easier... :googly:

Draconian

Re: Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.5a

Post by Draconian » Thu May 18, 2017 1:50 am

Love your mod, thank you for all your hard work!

Delta of Isaire

Post by Delta of Isaire » Fri May 19, 2017 8:21 am

The new version 2.5a does not work for me. After game setup when I click "launch" to start the new game, it throws an error message "Application error encountered. A diagnostic file will be saved." and then the game crashes.

No useful information in session.log.

I tried BSOTS 2.1 and that works perfectly fine.

Is there a way to fix this?

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Fri May 19, 2017 2:10 pm

You're not trying to load a game?

Just trying to start up 2.5a?

Have you made sure that there are NO other mods - just 2.5a and your core files?

Are you sure that 2.5a un-7-zipped correctly - there should be a folder:

Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.5a\

and under that should be all kinds of stuff - not another folder by the same name (though that wouldn't cause a crash - just missing all of the BSOTs content)....

Draconian

Post by Draconian » Fri May 19, 2017 7:00 pm

I crash on making a new game with 2.5a but not 2.1 when after i hit launch.

Luke Skywalker

Post by Luke Skywalker » Fri May 19, 2017 7:03 pm

Have the same problem :/

Something in the MasterTechList.tech file probably causes this error, because if you insert the one from 2.1, new games won't crash.
I tried to find out what it is in it but with no success. :|
Have you an idea what it could be, Alpha?

But on the other hand this doesnt make much sense if you can run the game normally.

Anyway thank you for all your efforts you put in BSOTS!!
2.1. was/is really cool to play!

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 pm

I'm at work - will have to do more when I get home this evening.

TBH, I've been playing recent games using "MasterTechList (Fusion Age).tech"

Just rename that to "MasterTechList.tech" and see if that works?

I'll see what could be borked tonight. Sorry! :P

EDIT:
Blast! I happen to have 2.5 and 2.5a here. And a comparison of MasterTechList.tech between them shows no significant differences (or, my brain says they're all relatively trivial - costs mostly, and a couple of typeo's fixed in 2.5a).

I will have to experiment by trial and error to figure this out. In the meantime, You'd be much better off going back to 2.5's tech file than all the way back to 2.1 - if you have access to both. If not, you'll need to wait until I fix this hopefully tonight.

Return to “Modding”