Warcat's Shipyard

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Warcat

Warcat's Shipyard

Post by Warcat » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:49 am

After weeks of 3D modeling work I think it's a good idea to gather into a single thread all of my efforts, just to reorganize and keep them ordered.
As a foreword, these models were made namely for BSotS, but of course they can be easily added to any other mod.
And of course, anyone is allowed to use and modify them provided credits are given.

I upload a zipped file where I put the directX file, its Blender file (I used Blender to do my works, both 2.49b and 2.76b versions) and usually the .shipsection file. Occasionally there'll be a piece of the WeaponIconPlacement.txt code. Aside I usually upload a pic for every zipped file, so anyone can have a preview of what it's going to download.

Here's the list of what I've done so far:

UPDATE 2017.07.18: added many new drone models

Hiver models
Hiver CR Barrage
Hiver CR Blazer
Hiver CR Torpedo
Hiver Bomber Drone (Torpedo Heavy Drone)
Hiver Heavy Drone
Hiver Minelayer Drone

Human models
Human CR Torpedo
Human DE R&S
Human Bomber Drone (Torpedo Heavy Drone)
Human Heavy Drone
Human Minelayer Drone

Liir models
Liir CR torpedo
Liir Bomber Drone (Torpedo Heavy Drone)
Liir Cruiser Barrage (+1 Heavy Beam; -1 Torpedo tube)
Liir Light Drone
Liir Heavy Drone (+ 2 light mounts)
Liir DE R&S
Liir Minelayer Drone

Morrigi models
Morrigi CR Torpedo (with animations)
Morrigi Bomber Drone (Torpedo Heavy Drone)
Morrigi Heavy Drone
Morrigi Minelayer Drone

Tarkan models
Tarka CR Torpedo
Tarka Bomber Drone (Torpedo Heavy Drone)
Tarka Heavy Drone
Tarka Minelayer Drone

Zuul models
Zuul CR Torpedo
Zuul Bomber Drone (Torpedo Heavy Drone)
Zuul DE R&S
Zuul Heavy Drone
Zuul Light Drone
Zuul Minelayer Drone

Turret models
3-barreled heavy ballistic cannon pack
zip file
Last edited by Warcat on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:27 am, edited 40 times in total.

Alpha Centauri

Re: Warcat's Shipyard

Post by Alpha Centauri » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:54 pm

Fantastic Work! <3 :D Can't wait to try out new bomber drones! (we need some new drone-only weapons methinks)

EDIT: moar bomber drones, plz!

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:34 am

drages wrote:Yeah great work..

Thx

My priorities are that I have to hotfix a bug in the techtree and finish off the torpedo drones. Then I'll probably start to model a new ballistic barrel cannon and then I may start giving DN war sections some love :)
Unfortunately the missile only mount isn't a feature of BSotS: I myself found them useless, because they forced me either to go heavy with missiles or to make a ship design with some mount slots wasted (I mean that to saturate a pd coverage you have to fire lots of missiles, not just a couple of them...). Even in the navy, ships have to launch a full volley of missiles to hope that some of them may go through a dedicated antimissile vessel like a Ticonderoga class. But unlike SotS, it's enough that only one of them go through the pd coverage to seriously cripple a navy vessel.
Of course nothing prevents me to model a new section for each race, maybe one with lots of medium mounts, for this pourpose.

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:32 am

drages wrote:Some cool cannon models would be very nice yes. Even people sell very cheap turret models at web. I can buy them but I don't know which fits to sots as all pixel wise. If you can show me some I can buy them. So you can win a bit time. I saw many nice simple models when I was looking for icons.

It's not a matter of choosing the right model, I doubt there were any in the web but I should be able to refit most of them into SotS. To make a working 3d model for SotS engine, there's need of a model (meh, it's obvious...), an UV map and a texture, so I guess every UV mapped model may be eligible. Best if it's a Blender file, Waveront (.obj) or DirectX (.x) files are good too. Blender can import many other file formats (COLLADA, Milkshape 3D, LightWave, 3D Studio and many others), but I'd rather stick to the first three (because I mostly used them). I have little experience with turrets, but I already modeled the light and medium autocannons for BSotS, so it's feasible. And it's enough even a picture (which it's far less expensive than buying a 3D model :))

There is difference about missile turrets and vertical launchers. A vertical battery can launch many missiles in short times so useful much more then a turret. You can fit vertical launcher where you can't put any cannons because of the ship design. As I said before at sots 2 all the human ships got very nice heavy missile vertical launchers. You can fire huge missiles or even torpedoes from that launchers too. This huge missiles could make a massive damage and got plenty of HP and armour to survive against heavy pd.

Making a section with full medium slot won't make a sense because you can use it with full of dual barrel turret and it would look lame like dn war section. We play this game for visuals too and a ship with vertical launchers would be cool to watch. Human sections got tons of medium slots already. So making some of them as burst missile firing vertical launchers won't be any harm. Vertical launchers are mostly at back of the big cannons at main body of the ship and near the engine side.

At bsots you can put huge missiles to projector slots. I think every dn section should have few or many vertical launchers to fire them.

AT late game every section front or main got tons of heavy lasers like cutter. I want to see some heavy slot and missile sections too. Normally war or battle sections should do it but battle and bridge sections have very few weapons and war section is unusable as you know.

I like to see every ship firing variation of missiles rather then spam same cannon each other. Making a full missile ship is not good either. Even at anime spaceships uses always missile launchers inside the hull.

I see your point. Unfortunately in BSotS there may not be missile only mounts (probably)... I mean this because when discussing with Alpha we agreed that we have to save a weapon type slot for possible drone/fighters only weapons. Unfortunately there aren't other weapon type slots available, so we have to sacrifice the missile only mounts. BTW we can still make missiles act as torpedo weapons (Okim choose this for its ACM), and make a vertical tube launcher for both but we'll have another problem: direct fire torpedo won't fit very well into them (and for AI this is a big problem).

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:40 am

Thread updated. I've added Liir and Tarkas Torpedo Heavy Drones.

drages wrote:I did not know you already used missile socket so another hard code limiting. Then there is nothing to be done. Alpha said I can mod mod bsots if I want missile socket but I will lose drones then.

I was wrong, my bad, perhaps I misunderstood what Alpha told me. There's one weapon slot type saved for a possible drone specific weapon, but it hasn't been used yet, so it can be available for other goals, you know...

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:41 pm

Exactly as warcat states - there is one unique mount type that I was hoping to use for bomber drones (or something at least as cool - planetary bombs c.f. ACM)? Let's keep this discussion in BSOTS thread though - this should be for Warcat's ideas & models (and it makes keeping up confusing if interlaced on two threads)

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:49 am

Update 2016.02.17
Added the Zuul Torpedo Drone and the missing DirectX files for Liir and Tarkas ones

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:35 am

Update 2016.02.18
Added the Morrigi Torpedo Drone

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:41 am

Update 2016.02.19
Added the 3-barreled version of the Heavy Driver and the resized Heavy Standard Turret for Hiver.

Discalimer: I encountered some issues yesterday when I tested the turret because I forgot to add the Vertex Colors layer to the model. I made an hotfix today, so it hasn't been tested yet. I hope it works. Anyway I'll test it this evening

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:28 am

Thx drages, I grabbed your pics, I'll take a look!

2016.02.22 update
Added the 3-barreled heavy ballistic cannon pack. It contains a 3-barreled heavy driver cannon for each race plus some reworked turrets (Hiver, Human and Liir) to let the new cannons fit into.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:30 pm

I might be a bit late with this, but FYI unmodded SotS1 already comes with ships with missile-only turrets, the Barrage and several Human sections :
http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Barrage_Section

I have made them able to mount any weapon in my mod (see my signature) too, as they don't make sense in (unmodded) SotS1 :
Missile damage generally sucks (even without taking into account point defense), and Barrage is not made for kiting (due to heavy (fixed) mounts and speed penalty).
Also I felt that Barrage needed a boost to be "competitive" with the Blazer sections added in Argos Naval Yard.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:45 pm

BSOTS has no missile-only mounts. So our barrage is also laissez faire. And for the same reasons.

What we need are missile turrets that are vertical launch (embedded into the model, or at least lay as a small bump on it and fire vertically) - or something similar - purely as a visual enhancement. It wouldn't change the game mechanics a bit (or we could make new type of missile weapons that use this new model and do have different characteristics - such as a late-game rapid-fire missile launcher).

We've discussed the possibility of having a missile-specialty section (mission) which is required to be missile-heavy. But that's (at least) 6 new models - or one. If warcat is motivated to design one for - say Humans - then we could see if it's really worth having in the game?

As to dps - yes, missiles are very low dps - as are all long-range tracking weapons in game. This is due to their alpha-strike value and ability to get in multiple salvos before closing. I mean - you look at the numbers in a spreadsheet and think - Yikes! they're a terrible weapon-system!. And then you play a few battles and you're like - Wow! This rocks! Not to mention that the auto-resolver has a woodie for missiles (so easy to win battles that way).

Meh - they're ridiculously good for putting on all your satellites and orbital stations too. All of that adds up to be a nice totally overwhelming missile-storm for your enemies.

So I guess I'm not overly worried about making missiles better than I already have. I've added quite a few options - including doubling the number you can fire, including adding them to small mounts (and double there too), and projectors (double, and super-heavy), retargeting (on all large and better)... extra speed & maneuverability (fast missiles)...

If we rebalance DNs to have far less small mounts then hyperactive Ai placement of PD should be less of an issue.

We could... if we want to go nuts about it... rebalance all ships to have small mounts be PD only - and then redo current small weapons as mediums (I'm thinking beamers and lasers here - gauss would just be dropped? Or it would be an earlier version of a mass driver, and they'd be the same size - just mass driver is a straight up upgrade over a gauss driver).

This is an interesting thought... and it nicely makes the Ai have a well understood use of PD - which might increase the value of EWAR and Point-Defense mission sections... but is a fairly major overhaul to the mod. Probably not gonna happen (but never say never!)

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:47 pm

Continuing here, if you don't mind, as this subject about missiles seems to divert every thread it's talked in :
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55332

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:23 pm

2016.03.01 update
Added an alternate version of the Liir Cruiser Barrage, where there's a dorsal heavy fixed beam instead than a torpedo tube (so it has 2 torpedo tubes and 2 heavy beams)

NOTE: I've encountered a very strange issue when I worked on this model. If I export the Blender file to directx as "CruiserBarrage.x", the dorsal heavy beam starts its effect inside the ship (and always in the same spot), no matter where I put the proper empty. Of course there's nothing SotS can use as a "ghost" empty (for instance a hidden vertex or an object's origin). If I export the file as "putthenameyouwantbutCruiserBarrage.x", the issue disappears.
I guess this issue is caused by the fact that I named the Blender mesh as CruiserBarrage even if I usually followed the same method in many previous models without any issue.

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:14 am

Sorry drages, no updates yet.
I was working on a Liir engine and I was trying to figure out how to attach effects to that model (I managed to do it but with a weird effect), but this was about one month ago...

Anyway I think that BSotS will not be abandoned, at least by me and (I guess and hope) by Alpha too. We just took a break to play with it...:)

Return to “Modding”