Looking for 'alternate support' via the modding community.

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Cainan

Looking for 'alternate support' via the modding community.

Post by Cainan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:25 am

Hey!

I'm posting this with the thought that you all in the Modding sub forums have the best grasp of the innards of the SotS engine short of the Devs themselves.
I'm hoping one of you who has soem guru-level knowledge of the Models/Skysphere section of the code might have some suggestions on what i can try to improve on the fix for a shader issue when running SotS under a windows Emulator on OSX,.

I posted sometime back about issues w/ shaders on MacOS w/ intel graphics. (you have to use some form of WinE to play SotS on Mac.. I use CrossOver)
in-system combat looks like this. deep-space combat renders just fine.

I posted a thread here, that found a minimal solution to the problem.
that solution was to remove all 'InSystem' sky {} entries from Models/Skysphere/skydefs.txt.

It means in-system combat has a empty black skybox, and is very soulsucking and boring.. but it DOES work.

Here is what i have tryed:

* change the various 512x512 images to 1024x512, and put them in Models/Skysphere/ -- No good.
* copy/paste the various 'DeepSpace' entries, and change them to 'InSystem' versions. -- No good.

Any suggestions on what else i could try?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Alpha Centauri

Re: Looking for 'alternate support' via the modding communit

Post by Alpha Centauri » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:47 pm

I wish I had something to offer you. :(

I assume you could use a dual-boot solution - but you want to run it within MacOS?

Cainan

Re: Looking for 'alternate support' via the modding communit

Post by Cainan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:00 pm

Yeah. i actually did that for awhile.. but space is of a premium on my macbook pro.
Not to mention i inevitably forget to keep the other install up to date, and so everytime i boot i have 30+ minute of winblows updates to deal with first

As i said, its playable if i just truncate the InSystem entries.
I just wish i could narrow down what specifically triggers the shader so i could at least get the skybox insystem working.

Return to “Modding”