Call for SOTS1 saved games

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
SavageV

Call for SOTS1 saved games

Post by SavageV » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:23 am

I'm writing software to help understand the saved game files, but I need more samples. The stranger the better, I need a wide variety, but I need normal games too. Modded files are fine but mention what you've changed.

Upload your .sav somewhere and post a link. You don't need to zip them since they're already gzipped.

Maybe we can finally edit techs or diplomatic status to get more interesting games.

SavageV

Update

Post by SavageV » Mon May 01, 2017 12:22 pm

I have software that processes saved games, analyzes the structure, combines data from all saved games, and outputs the file structure as a directed graph (among other things).

Some of the sections are pretty hairy, especially systems and scenario objects. It would look better with manual tweaking, but this is the complete SOTS1 save file format:
link or
structure.zip

Notes: SAV files are gzipped. Unzip them and look for BSTRings. The first BSTR is a key name. If a key is followed immediately by another BSTR, that BSTR is a value string. Many keys are just ".", treat those as data subsections for the previous key. Bytes between keys are data, though they're often just garbage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alpha Centauri

Re: Call for SOTS1 saved games

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon May 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Looks like you've made a lot of progress! Nice.

You have plans to do something with this? Or more for documentation if another wants to pick up from here?

SavageV

Post by SavageV » Tue May 02, 2017 12:18 am

More editing features, depending on time and motivation. Anyone can pick it up and try to understand whatever section they want as a way to contribute, or do their own project. I don't expect that; this is mostly an online backup of my work. I do have a few things on my mind. It might be fun to edit the tech tree mid-game. Human node links can be horrible at times, with unlinked stars and nearly broken paths. I'd like to fix those. I also like to replace my hiver gate ships with deep scan variants when playing as hiver, and that's such a chore. If I could just erase all of my deployed gates in the game that would save so much effort and make upgrading gate ships a 1 turn process instead of a 2 turn risky undertaking. Might be fun to edit ship section attributes or weapons too. Some of that can be done through modding, but modding doesn't always turn out as well as I hope so it would be nice to change course mid-game without restarting. If I ever figure out the IO sliders I'd like to make a way to update trade settings automatically; that can get to be a chore too.

SavageV

Post by SavageV » Wed May 03, 2017 8:37 am

I inserted my first tech into a saved game, not too hard. Also found the salvaged research section.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Thu May 04, 2017 1:00 am

Very cool.

Yeah - stations are another "there's gotta be a better !@#$@#! way."

They should be upgradable - and you can't without a save editor - or as you say - many turns wasted.

SavageV

Post by SavageV » Fri May 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Here's an early screenshot of the editor I'm working on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon May 08, 2017 1:04 pm

Looks very promising :D

Return to “Modding”