Bastard Sword of the Stars Streamlined

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Alpha Centauri

Bastard Sword of the Stars Streamlined

Post by Alpha Centauri » Sun May 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Okay - I've decided to implement an alternate version of BSOTS sans trade.

I did this to make a more MP friendly variant - and just a variant that flows a bit better.

I've struggled with BSOTs to reduce the overhead of trade as much as possible - 1 freighter / trade route, larger trade sectors (so fewer of them), and only one type of freighter (not a mega and a standard, though I kept Q freighters for the tactical option). But my games end up consuming massive amounts of my time to implement and upkeep my trade routes. I also notice that the AI is preoccupied with other things than fighting. I assume a significant part of their income is doing the same thing I am - building freighters and therefore not sending out attack fleets.

Not sure if that's true - but this should free me up to focus on the combat aspects - as in SOTs Born of Blood. No trade.

To compensate the Morrigi - who get 80% income from imperial population (and maybe less than that from civilians), I kept stations and reduced the costs of their ships by 25% both in cost and in cpoints (construction time). Since they were typically more expensive in both categories compared to other races - this brings them in line with most others build times and costs, maybe +/- 5% compared to Humans. I am play testing now to see how this balances out.

Research I reduced by 1/3 (for everyone), since everyone is obviously out of trade income as well (which for me was typically around 1/3-1/2 my income).

This inherently boosts the Zuul again - more like they were in BoB. Curious to see how that plays out. :)

Dragar

Re: Bastard Sword of the Stars Streamlined

Post by Dragar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Alpha Centauri, did you ever release this mod?

I'm thinking of making the following changes for a mod:

a) Grossly simplify or remove trade.
b) Remove detonating torpedoes (since they don't seem to work).
c) Compensate the Morrigi due to their trade loss.

But otherwise leave the game intact. Any pointers, if you've not done this already? (The first two seem simple enough changes for me to make - just edits to the tech tree file.)

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:56 pm

I have done all of the above in the version that a friend and I play regularly, which you can try out from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/e97iag00c ... s_3.0.1.7z

This is a WIP. We've played several MP games with it - and overall I'm pretty damn happy with it. However - YMMV - mostly in terms of play-balance. It may have an occasional bug issue (though I don't think anymore than any other version I've ever made) - but I'm not sure I've gotten balance right! Hell, I'm never sure. Every game throws different circumstances at you - so one game I'll feel that the Morrigi are swimming in cash, and the next they feel a bit starved. You'll just have to try it to see.

My friend and I have got a solid 200 system map going and I believe this is our 3rd full MP game. So far, it's fun - I'm the Morrigi, he's the Tarkas. I had a solid starting neighborhood, and am loaded with cash. He had a tougher area, and is struggling a bit. We have a Liir Ai who is #1 in the game between us (normal difficulty), and I'm only just moving to build a real fleet to soften him up for my friend to better expand.

Anyway - let me know if anything is majorly wrong, or if you have gentle suggestions on your experience of the balance. :)

Just keep in mind that every game offers different challenges, so it is quite difficult to nail down "is the balance right?" ;)

Dragar

Post by Dragar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks! I think this might be a lot more changes to the base game than I was looking for but I'll give it a look over.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:52 am

ah - Yeah, this is a generational addition to my mod - not only those changes alone.

If you want to do that yourself - you've got a fair bit of work ahead of you. You'd be better off starting a new mod than trying to trim mine down - that would be harder by a large margin.

Return to “Modding”