TechTree Mod for SotS Complete Collection?

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
GlassDeviant

TechTree Mod for SotS Complete Collection?

Post by GlassDeviant » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:28 am

I have a really old TechTree mod for ANY but it does not work for CC:

SotS_ANY_RaceSpecific_TechTree-Mod_v3.zip

Anyone know where to get one that works with the Steam version of SotS:CC?

Alpha Centauri

Re: TechTree Mod for SotS Complete Collection?

Post by Alpha Centauri » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:58 am

Not sure what that is you're referring to (the zip file) - we'll need more information from you.

CC *is* ANY.

Sots originally was released as a series, about 1/yr, starting with SOTS, then BOB, then AMOC, and finally a mini-expansion ANY. CC is the all-in-one released collection of all of four of those in one-installer and obvs. better price.

So - if you have 1.4.1 of a resource or that is compatible - that it is CC compatible (1.4.1 was the final .exe release that Kerberos did for to patch ANY to its final form).

GlassDeviant

Post by GlassDeviant » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 pm

The tech tree mod that I have is specifically for ANY, and it worked with SotS CE (I don't remember what that stood for, maybe Collectors Edition?), but when I use it with CC from Steam (yes, I actually paid for the game twice) I do not get the complete tech tree except through special projects.

Edit: Just realised that I was wrong, I paid for this game three times. I must really like it or something.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:50 am

GlassDeviant wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 pm
The tech tree mod that I have is specifically for ANY, and it worked with SotS CE (I don't remember what that stood for, maybe Collectors Edition?), but when I use it with CC from Steam (yes, I actually paid for the game twice) I do not get the complete tech tree except through special projects.

Edit: Just realised that I was wrong, I paid for this game three times. I must really like it or something.
Glad you figured it out!

I think I bought it about six times. various editions for myself, friends, steam, steam alt account, other steam copy for another friend... :)

GlassDeviant

Post by GlassDeviant » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm

I never figured anything out, as far as getting the mod working in CC. The only thing I figured out was that I paid for the game three times, not two. I still can't play the game as I despise the random tech tree availability, and it's ridiculous to have to wait for endgame special research projects to get, for example, fusion and all the techs that have it as a prerequisite.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:29 pm

Note that fusion is a core tech, you can’t fail to get it.

I personally don’t have a problem with the random tree as it helps to give each race its flavour, and missing out on a favourite tech and having to explore alternatives or make do without can be challenging.

SotS is pretty easy to mod yourself if all you are doing is messing with the tech tree to alter link probabilities. For general modding info (I.e. how do I create / load a mod file) you can look here: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Modding

Specifically what you would want to do for your mod would be to create a modded version of the master tech list file, and edit it with a text editor so that each line with random percentages has those percentages removed, so it looks similar to how core techs look. This is pretty straightforward.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “Modding”