GameRanger MP network

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
Scott Kevill

GameRanger MP network

Post by Scott Kevill » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:12 pm

GameRanger: a new place to play Sword of the Stars online
Hi all, just thought I'd let you know about a new multiplayer network I've created for playing Sword of the Stars online called GameRanger. Specifically, it supports:
- Sword of the Stars
- Sword of the Stars Demo
- Sword of the Stars: Born of Blood
- Sword of the Stars: Collector's Edition Demo

A Murder of Crows is not currently supported, but it may be in the future.

Basically, GameRanger makes it quick and easy to play your friends online.

It has full lobby support for over 500 different games and demos (including the above games, of course), without the hassles and headaches that usually happen with network connections (eg. routers & firewalls).

I'm really excited to be releasing it, and hope it helps boost the Sword of the Stars community by allowing people to play that were unable to until now due to problems with opening ports, etc.

You can download it at http://www.GameRanger.com
GameRanger - play your friends online

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Re: GameRanger MP network

Post by zanzibar196 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:16 pm

Since I have 1.6.3 installed, and your network does not support my game version, then I do appologize for the inconvienence, but I will not be using game ranger network. Have a nice day.

Note: Any other version of SotS is for wimps... real men keep thier game up to date!!

Scott Kevill

Post by Scott Kevill » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:19 pm

zanzibar196 wrote:Since I have 1.6.3 installed, and your network does not support my game version, then I do appologize for the inconvienence, but I will not be using game ranger network. Have a nice day.

Note: Any other version of SotS is for wimps... real men keep thier game up to date!!

Thanks for the report. I'll see if I can find out what the problem is.

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:41 pm

Scott Kevill wrote:
zanzibar196 wrote:Since I have 1.6.3 installed, and your network does not support my game version, then I do appologize for the inconvienence, but I will not be using game ranger network. Have a nice day.

The problem is... you don't support AMoC... Duh!

Scott Kevill

Post by Scott Kevill » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:46 pm

zanzibar196 wrote:
Scott Kevill wrote:

The problem is... you don't support AMoC... Duh!

Sorry, I thought you meant you had a newer update that wasn't working. SotS is different to most games with this version number thing.

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:48 pm

1.6.3 is the most up to date version of the game... if you can not support that, then I do not want your software. Sorry.

Riztro

Post by Riztro » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Looks intriguing but I´d guess that a majority of the Sots playerbase, at least for MP are running Amoc (1.63 atm). Good luck with it though. :)
It´s amazing how constant repetition can render even the most basic fact disagreeable.

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Damn zanz, rude much? Its not like he's pouring spyware and shit into your system, although its still always best to put any third party software though a comprehensive scan.

I'll look into this more later because most of my friends are limited to the most updated version of vanilla sots (the traitors :evil: ) while I'm currently limited to the most updated version of BoB (I want AMOC :( ).
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:47 am

Why would anyone want to play vanilla or Bob... when AMoC is 100 times better?? But yeah... as you said... most hard core MP players keep thier game current. At least Xfire supports my version of the game! :thumbsup:

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:24 am

Actually GameRanger is also picking up games that were left without their MP support, like Alien vs Predator 1&2. So I guess they are doing a good job, whatever the (marketing) reason.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Laura

Post by Laura » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:52 pm

GR seems to have a good name, having provided for mac users since 1999, so I guess it's alright. However, since it doesn't support AMOC, it's most likely not going to fly here. That, and sots multiplayer is already well established on xfire.

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:50 am

I don't like XFire much. It's clunky and finicky.

Laura

Post by Laura » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:51 am

It is... but that's where the action is, and the more people in one place, the more inertia when it comes to moving ;)

Scott Kevill

Post by Scott Kevill » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:38 am

Yeah, SotS is a little different from most games in that although there are expansion packs, they are treated as though they were upgrades. For most games, expansion packs are treated almost as separate games (despite requiring the original to be present). Working on adding AMoC.

Laura

Post by Laura » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:45 pm

Good :) Then at least a move is possible, if not very probable.

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”