GameRanger MP network

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Re: GameRanger MP network

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:21 am

I do appologize for the inconvience, sir... but if your network can not keep up with evolving game versions... I will go with a service that can like... xfire. Please note, we are expecting another update hopefully before xmas!! :twisted:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:23 am

sigh...the guys is making an effort zanz, try not to make us seem like boors, please?

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:25 am

Hey, I'm all about getting games going amongst internet strangers... I just wanna do it with the most recent version of the game... is that so wrong?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:27 am

no...but neither is a lil healthy respect for effort.

viperpaktu

Post by viperpaktu » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:39 am

He got totaly Thrashed by Ion_Fury when the same guy posted over at the HomeWorld 2 forums, lol.
"I won't start this fight, but by God I'll finish it!" - John Sheridan

Riztro

Post by Riztro » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:53 pm

viperpaktu wrote:He got totaly Thrashed by Ion_Fury when the same guy posted over at the HomeWorld 2 forums, lol.

Well, the guy certainly thrashed something. More likely to be one of his own bloodvessels though, that reads like rage at the hw2 servers being taken down but it´s focussed on a guy providing a service that´ll let players keep on playing. The guy acts like an ass.

Now, I´m not all that likely to use gameranger simply because I do most of my MP within a rather small group of people that are easily organized and I do agree that regarding Sots the service needs to support Amoc but I really do not get the need some people are displaying for being an asshole about criticizing it.
It´s amazing how constant repetition can render even the most basic fact disagreeable.

Scott Kevill

Post by Scott Kevill » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks, Riztro. I can understand why he was upset, but I do think it was a little misplaced.

For what it's worth, here's how the other Homeworld community responded.
GameRanger - play your friends online

Laura

Post by Laura » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:47 am

Let me see if I get this straight...
Gameranger creates a sort of VPN between players, but without the tedious setup required in generalized software like hamachi, provided that the game is supported?
Or let me just ask this: What does it do differently/better than Xfire?

Scott Kevill

Post by Scott Kevill » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:48 am

Laura wrote:Let me see if I get this straight...
Gameranger creates a sort of VPN between players, but without the tedious setup required in generalized software like hamachi, provided that the game is supported?
Or let me just ask this: What does it do differently/better than Xfire?

Yes, it works a bit like a VPN, but it's more reliable, more compatible with the games, and overall safer. Yes, because it's designed for each specific game, you don't have to set up anything manually.

Xfire is designed mostly to be a communicator. For some games such as SotS, it also supports joining existing games, but it you're on your own to host the games in the first place. It also does nothing to help you with routers (which you need if you are hosting).

For other peer-peer style games (rather than client-server like SotS), you need router help even to join games. Those tend to be the games that Xfire doesn't support at all for multiplayer, eg. RTS games.
GameRanger - play your friends online

Laura

Post by Laura » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:08 am

Sounds sensible enough :)

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:49 am

Actually, gamespy does the linking of host to clients for SotS. It's built in to the game engine. Unless you know how to bypass that, then I doubt you are offering anything different then xfire. All xfire does is allow out of game chat... that's really about it!!

Zabaron
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Zabaron » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:00 am

zanzibar196 wrote:Actually, gamespy does the linking of host to clients for SotS. It's built in to the game engine. Unless you know how to bypass that, then I doubt you are offering anything different then xfire.

Erm, no, not really. GameSpy just provides an interface for people to find each other over the web. It doesn't actually host the games. That is, the person who starts the game is still acting as a server for the people joining, GameSpy just tells them where to look.
From what I understand, GameRanger creates a virtual LAN, which would mean it cuts GameSpy out of the picture entirely.

zanzibar196 wrote:All xfire does is allow out of game chat... that's really about it!!

I think that's his point. While Xfire only allows for communication, GameRanger can be used to setup, host, and join games, as well as the communication functions that Xfire has.

-Zabaron
"ʎq ʎlɟ ʎǝɥʇ sɐ ǝʞɐɯ ʎǝɥʇ punos ƃuıɥsooʍ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌol ı ˙sǝuılpɐǝp ǝʌol ı"
sɯɐpɐ sɐlƃnop-

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:19 am

Zabaron wrote:Erm, no, not really. GameSpy just provides an interface for people to find each other over the web. It doesn't actually host the games. That is, the person who starts the game is still acting as a server for the people joining, GameSpy just tells them where to look.
From what I understand, GameRanger creates a virtual LAN, which would mean it cuts GameSpy out of the picture entirely.

Yes... but how do you over-ride the built in, in-game network coding?? Again, it prefers the gamespy network over every other one!! Unless you got a hex editor or something??

Zabaron
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Zabaron » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:16 am

The game doesn't use GameSpy for LAN, it has no need to (in fact, using GameSpy would be bad, because it would require an internet connection). LANs are small, and thus it's easy to locate servers without the help of a matchmaker. The Internet, however, is big. Massively, humongously, enormously big in fact. The internet is too big to just search around and try to find SotS servers, so SotS invokes the help of GameSpy. GameSpy keeps track of all the SotS servers on the aforementioned big internet, so that SotS can find them all simply by asking for a list.

What GameRanger does, is make a virtual LAN, which SotS thinks is a real LAN, and thus bypasses the GameSpy servers entirely.

-Zabaron
"ʎq ʎlɟ ʎǝɥʇ sɐ ǝʞɐɯ ʎǝɥʇ punos ƃuıɥsooʍ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌol ı ˙sǝuılpɐǝp ǝʌol ı"
sɯɐpɐ sɐlƃnop-

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:19 am

I still don't understand how my game would see hosts on this virtual LAN without using the built-in gamespy matching software... *shrug*

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”