Good way to clean up after the AI?

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
silvermoon383

Good way to clean up after the AI?

Post by silvermoon383 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:20 am

Hey everyone! Just a quick question.

I tend to join MP games after the AI has had plenty of time to build an empire. Sadly it never does things in a way that makes any sort of sense, such as a large number of 1-5 ship fleets sitting in the same system, nonsense design names, horribly tech tree climb, etc etc. I was wondering if there were any good ways to mold the AI results into something useable.
Ngima Tstal Aysanhìyä lu tìrey!

Dr. Weird

Re: Good way to clean up after the AI?

Post by Dr. Weird » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:00 am

Nope. Grab a shovel.

Using the "Fleets" tab then arranging it by # of ships could be helpful, but before that youre going to want to go to the design screen to try & figure out what is what. Ultimately you'll want to design from scratch to make things easier, but you still need to figure out what's already out there. After that you could go to the "colonies" tab and sort them by IO--- swing down to the lower end & see if whatever maniacal things the previous human or AI was doing for development suits you as well. Finally go to the research tree & try not to cry/laugh-- this'll be your main focus once you establish order in the fleets-- picking the direction you want to go.

Good Luck & Have Fun
Scrodinger may or may not have been here...

Dr. Weird

Post by Dr. Weird » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:08 am

Hey-- I just realized-- we both came out of the same game! :lol:

I was the Hiver you allied with right before that game was put on hold. Oh man-- the PM was beating the CRAP outta me that game-- I inherited my position with several PM induced AI rebellions to start. It took out 70 of my cruisers. I've never seen one so badass....

If by chance you get back into that one whenever it resumes-- kick the purple human's ass for me! 8)

thedjstu

Post by thedjstu » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:28 am

Dr. Weird wrote:If by chance you get back into that one whenever it resumes-- kick the purple human's ass for me! 8)

It wont happen. Despite the tech tree doing it's best to kill me I still have enough tech to be a very dangerous threat, especially since I have (Likely by far) the best economy in the game.

I've won, it'll just take 30 turns to bulldoze green hiver + orange human after which everybody will realize it.

Orange Human was played by a human for quite a while too

Dr. Weird

Post by Dr. Weird » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:34 am

Orange Human is the OP-- he was the last one to join the session-- I think he was only w us for 12-15 turns...?

& Depends on what the red Zuul does-- you're 3 turns from artifical gravity & with that affecting your economy you'll definitely be ahead of the pack-- but the Zuul is fielding AM dreads in force already. Who he joins will likely win.

Good Game btw! --I just wish I didnt start it off with my entire crusier fleet being armed w red lasers, no wonder the PM killed so many, lol

thedjstu

Post by thedjstu » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:41 am

Dr. Weird wrote:Depends on what the red Zuul does-- you're 3 turns from artifical gravity & with that affecting your economy you'll definitely be ahead of the pack-- but the Zuul is fielding AM dreads in force already. Who he joins will likely win.

Doubtful. My economy is about the size of yours, orange humans, and red zuul's combined. And I have better technology than any of you. God knows the zuul wont be catching up in tech anytime soon.

Orange human was played by a person in the previous session.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:10 am

I love how "I dont understand" is synonymous with "terrible". I suspect every time the AI takes over from a human it mutters the same things in binary :lol:

thedjstu

Post by thedjstu » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:56 pm

Mecron, you can make a pretty good AI, but even the best don't hold a candle to a human.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:23 pm

And I have been first to say that everytime. I am just pointing out that while the average player finds the AI a decent opponent...that same player will always blame the AI when taking over the position. Sometimes you have to accept that kicking a literally non-human process out of a control seat and jumping in will leave a lot of things in the half set stage. :P

thedjstu

Post by thedjstu » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:29 pm

Mecron wrote:And I have been first to say that everytime. I am just pointing out that while the average player finds the AI a decent opponent...that same player will always blame the AI when taking over the position. Sometimes you have to accept that kicking a literally non-human process out of a control seat and jumping in will leave a lot of things in the half set stage. :P

Very true. I will say that typically the AI's research order is pretty good, I rarely find nonsensical research choices anymore.

However the AI's ship designs are just awful.

Dr. Weird

Post by Dr. Weird » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:39 pm

What's the matter-- you don't like having green lasers runnning down one side of your ship and stormers on the other? Do a barrel roll ! :P

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:35 pm

The AI chooses designs that do well in Auto-resolve, because this is how it normally handles combat. Sadly, the same design does poorly when you choose to manually resolve the combat.

LongTom

Post by LongTom » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:54 pm

First thing I usually do to clean up is delete all but latest ai designs in same series names, plus the default destroyer types. Not sure even this is worthwhile since you can d-click a ship name in lists and get pop-up summary of ship design.

I almost wish there was an option to get ai to name ships based on some coding scheme like DE-scanjamfiss so you could see at a glance what u have to work with...of course this means enemies can read your fleet composition like a book...

I notice that ai does pick obvious names for stations. Too bad because many times I attack a planet, see in battle select screen OMG he has dreads / and he has one here only to read the name is 'sensor' or somesuch and go 'phew, it's just a station'. Ai should have colorful station names too.

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”