Forum names vs. Nicknames

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
Azure

Forum names vs. Nicknames

Post by Azure » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Hey all - just curious is there is a list of forum names vs. nicknames for sots...I recently joined a very interesting game with nickersonm, vinco, iskabis and two others (amon I think surrendered, and maybe whitebase) - problem is after the game is over - how do people usually contact each other? I joined the game on Wednesday, when we quit, we set up a time to play on Thursday - had a real fun session. However, we were a bit vague on setting up a time for tonight (partially because I had other plans) - but a real fun group of folks...yet the communication outside of the game seems lacking...

How do folks tend to communicate? Do they just get to know one another and exchange emails? Do they learn their forum names and then PM them on the forums? Is everyone else telepathic (I feel so left out!)?

Anyway, just curious how most folks play/set up games. It would even make sense to have a thread in the forums and folks in the game could post when they are playing next - that seems to be one way - but also not sure if some folks play but are not part of the forums.

Thanks!

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Re: Forum names vs. Nicknames

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:00 pm

Azure wrote:problem is after the game is over - how do people usually contact each other?

I think it's called xfire?

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:43 pm

@azure: I too have wondered about this. I haven't gotten up the gumption to try out MP yet, but when I've gone into the game room, I see occasionally names I recognize, but usually not.

It seems the name it uses is automatically the name of your profile, unless that is invalid. My profile is Pvt Nutter, but when I went into the game room, it popped up that my nickname was invalid and to pick a new one. I took the space out, making it PvtNutter and it was happy with that...

Never seen a place to actually change or set your nickname tho.

Is the only chat available in the game via Xfire unless you know the language techs? I'm reticent to install Xfire on the laptop I usually play on because it's a work machine. SotS is beautiful in that it doesn't require a true install (install, save out the registry key, copy the install folder and then uninstall. then just move the copied install folder back to the original name and restore the registry key and the game runs but doesn't show up in installed programs). However, I'm afraid XFire would be too "obvious" that it was installed.

What I'm really wondering, is if I join a game without XFire installed, is it annoying to the other players or somehow gimping the experience ( like in MMORPGs where folks don't have their adult chat turned on and other people can't talk to them )?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:18 am

you can chat in game to everyone by sending your tell to the [lobby] instead of an individual player. Just be warned all in the game will see the message. SO remember to switch back to tight channles when making your nefarious plans wiht another player :wink:

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:48 am

PvtNutter wrote:What I'm really wondering, is if I join a game without XFire installed, is it annoying to the other players or somehow gimping the experience ( like in MMORPGs where folks don't have their adult chat turned on and other people can't talk to them )?

No, it's not necessary to have xfire to enjoy MP... Xfire just makes plans for continuing games a bit easier... that's all I was trying to say.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:36 am

But it's so much more fun to pull of a Xanatos Gambit when everybody thinks they know what you're doing!

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:23 am

Good point about keeping in touch. Because X-Fire is "proper" machine only and not my PDA, it doesn't work for me with planning.

That's partially why I've taken to the smaller games, two or three people plus the AI, using unconventional means of planning the next online meet - like Facebook and email.

The main reason is because my hardware is slow and in the bigger games, many find the lag on their systems intolerable. So they shouldn't shoot at me, heh... ;)

(name here)

Post by (name here) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

usermist2 wrote:But it's so much more fun to pull of a Xanatos Gambit when everybody thinks they know what you're doing!

Only make your REAL plans in tight channels. the fake ones and some ordinary real ones can "accidentally" be made in the lobby. Just be careful about doing that too often.

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:25 am

DervMan wrote:The main reason is because my hardware is slow and in the bigger games, many find the lag on their systems intolerable. So they shouldn't shoot at me, heh... ;)

I hear you... gosh when I saw ppl talking about how they finished a 600 turn game in a week... :cry:

Dereknor

Post by Dereknor » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:20 pm

I use Xfire too. You can just run it in background and join the sots chatroom and see your people there again. Or just instand message them in your xfire list.

Its a better way then have the sots client running all the time in background and wait for people to join the lobby. And you can also find people to play many other games ;)
Ya Var'Derek Nor'Vec du Tarka Hanakuum. Vreen dumah lolokaad. Praada!

tericc

Post by tericc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:44 pm

I just got xfire and trying to join the Xfire Sots comunity.

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:28 am

tericc wrote:I just got xfire and trying to join the Xfire Sots comunity.

invite sent.

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”