Ladder for SWORD of the STARS at www.the-battlefield.com

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
BF_Napoleon

Post by BF_Napoleon » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:01 pm

Hello SotS Community!

the-battlefield.com in Cooperation with the german Publisher Frogster Interactive is going to host Online Ladders and Tournaments with Prices sponsored by Frogster.

The Ladder is up now and DEMO-GAMES can be reported from now! A Demo Cup will follow the next weekend to get a good Start in the coming REGULAR SEASON with the complete Game.

http://www.the-battlefield.com/images/sots_review.bmp

Ladder Accounts are totally free.

You can sign up HERE --> http://www.the-battlefield.com/index.php?page=join

-->>>> http://www.the-battlefield.com/index.php?page=maingame&game=sots <<<<--

Ladder Features:

- FFA Ladder
- Team Ladder
- Clan Ladder
- Playerlists
- Report Win Function
- Account, Avatar and Buddie List
- Online Event Tool to add your Game
- Tourney Engine
- Who is Online and Chat Room

Usefull Links:

Join the Ladder
--> Click

Ladder Mainsite
--> Click

Ladder Players
--> Click

FFA Ladder Ranking
--> Click

Online SotS Players
--> Click

All Ladder Game Results--> Click

Open Ladder Games and Online Events
--> Click

Here is what is planned within the next weeks:

- FFA Ladder
- Welcome Tourney (Demo Cup)

Optional we are going to offer:

- Team Ladder
- Clan Ladder

How will the Ladder work in general?:

1. Get a FREE ACCOUNT
2. Add SWORD of the STARS to your Games by adding it in your Account details
3. Check the PLAYERLIST to view who plays in the Ladder
4. Contact one of the Ladder Players and arrange a game.
5. Say that you want to plat a the/battlefield.com ladder game
6. The Winner REPORTS THE GAME, and only the Winner!

How will we prevent fake or wrong Game reports?:

After the Game is reported by the winner, an email is send out to all participants of the game containing the game parameters, a savegame as well as point calculation.

LADDER Online Playerlist

For all those who are looking for the-battlefield.com Ladder members to arrange a game this list will help, containing all Players who signed up for the Ladder so far.

The List also contains, Timezone, Contact-Information, Instant Messengers etc...

Check it Out:

--> http://www.the-battlefield.com/index.ph ... &game=sots

You can join the BF Sword of the Stars Ladder here:

--> http://www.the-battlefield.com/index.php?page=join

If you have any questions feel free to post them here and i will answer!

Carch

Post by Carch » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:26 am

How does the ladder work?

Do you have any ELO-style ranking?
a.k.a. BadKen, badkenbad on YouTube, Steam and LIVE.
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

BF_Napoleon

Post by BF_Napoleon » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:52 am

How does the ladder work?

How will the Ladder work in general?:

1. Get a FREE ACCOUNT
2. Add SWORD of the STARS to your Games by adding it in your Account details
3. Check the PLAYERLIST to view who plays in the Ladder
4. Contact one of the Ladder Players and arrange a game.
5. Say that you want to plat a the/battlefield.com ladder game
6. The Winner REPORTS THE GAME, and only the Winner!

siron

Post by siron » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:15 am

Carch wrote:Do you have any ELO-style ranking?

Details of their point-system can be found on this site:

http://www.the-battlefield.com/index.ph ... ointsystem

It seems there are a lot of bonuses....and OTOH just playing the same guys isnt that attractive....the cheating by multiple accounts problem seems solved.

I have already signed up there yesterday.

BF_Napoleon

Post by BF_Napoleon » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:33 am

Yes the point system is very advanced as we put years of experience in it. It is friendly to new players and gives bonuses for beating Top Ten Players etc.

It also give Bonuses to active Players and punished Top Ten Players who always battle newbies or weak players.

Carch

Post by Carch » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:13 pm

BF_Napoleon wrote:Yes the point system is very advanced as we put years of experience in it. It is friendly to new players and gives bonuses for beating Top Ten Players etc.

It also give Bonuses to active Players and punished Top Ten Players who always battle newbies or weak players.

So... it's some homemade thing then? Looks pretty complex (thank you for the link, Siron, I had a helluva time trying to find that on their site).

I prefer ladder sites that use simple ELO, or even simpler, the Case's Ladder mechanism (you climb the ladder by half the difference between the rank of the person you beat... nothing happens if the winner is higher ranked than the loser).

I'm sure you've worked hard at developing your point system, but at first glance, it's got more special cases and exceptions in it than I could possibly remember. When I play someone in a ranked match, I want to know before the match what either outcome might be.

Another thing that bothers me is that your ladder system includes bonuses for frequent play. That's a deal-breaker right there. I don't ever want to play in a competitive system where someone gets an advantage just because they have more time to play than I do.

Now, I'm just speaking for myself, here, there are probably plenty of players who'll have no problem with this ladder system.
a.k.a. BadKen, badkenbad on YouTube, Steam and LIVE.
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Ari
Kerbicron Cleric - Paper!
Kerbicron Cleric - Paper!

Post by Ari » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:32 pm

Another thing that bothers me is that your ladder system includes bonuses for frequent play. That's a deal-breaker right there. I don't ever want to play in a competitive system where someone gets an advantage just because they have more time to play than I do.

While I do agree that linear bonuses for frequent play have their downside, it is important to make sure people don't just sit on high rankings.
"Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by laziness."
2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.

BF_Napoleon

Post by BF_Napoleon » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:02 pm

@ Carch

So... it's some homemade thing then? Looks pretty complex (thank you for the link, Siron, I had a helluva time trying to find that on their site).

Yes it is totally homemade, so no buyable very limited solution, its very complex with many posibilities!

I prefer ladder sites that use simple ELO, or even simpler, the Case's Ladder mechanism (you climb the ladder by half the difference between the rank of the person you beat... nothing happens if the winner is higher ranked than the loser).

We use our System for many Games like Civilization Series or Age of Wonders and it works great.

I think this makes our Ladder and Site unique, no common point calculation but a real fair system for all players.

I'm sure you've worked hard at developing your point system, but at first glance, it's got more special cases and exceptions in it than I could possibly remember. When I play someone in a ranked match, I want to know before the match what either outcome might be.

You will see, it is easier than the calculation formulars look like.

We are still discussing this issue but we can turn that off, but i think why not give a bonus to frequent players who upkeep the running of a ladder?

Now, I'm just speaking for myself, here, there are probably plenty of players who'll have no problem with this ladder system.

No worries! Its good to hear other oppinions! Our system isnt perfect and we are working hard on it!

---

@ Ari

While I do agree that linear bonuses for frequent play have their downside, it is important to make sure people don't just sit on high rankings.

That wont happen! Top Ten players loose point while beeing inactive or just playing unranked or lower ranked players! Thats the good thing and makes sure that the ladder is moving up and down and no players "sit on" his high rank!

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”