No armour-piercing rounds in SOTS ANY ?

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
DeepCut

No armour-piercing rounds in SOTS ANY ?

Post by DeepCut » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:44 pm

I'm playing with a friend just now, i'm tarka he's human, i have no AP rounds after researching mass drivers ?
Experience is a hard teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson afterward.

Starknight

Re: No armour-piercing rounds in SOTS ANY ?

Post by Starknight » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 am

It's a percentage chance that you'll get them. Tarkas have an 85% chance for AP drivers (only Hivers and Zuul have better odds), so you just got unlucky.

If you're interested, the annotated tech-tree is available here.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

DeepCut

Post by DeepCut » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 am

Thanks Starknight,

i was going by what the wiki said :

http://sots.rorschach.net/Armor_Piercing_Rounds

thanks for techtree link :)

DC.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:31 am

DeepCut wrote:Thanks Starknight,

i was going by what the wiki said :

http://sots.rorschach.net/Armor_Piercing_Rounds

thanks for techtree link :)

DC.

You're welcome.

The Wiki is good, but it doesn't include the odds that a particular tech will show up in the tree. In this case, it's correctly showing that all 6 races *can* get AP Rounds - it's not restricted, like drive techs, or Disruptor Whips.
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

DeepCut

Post by DeepCut » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:22 am

Yes, it was just confusing because it usually states the fact that a tech is random.

I'm having a really hard time winning as Tarka, is it correct that they are the all-around weakest race and Hivers are the strongest ?

Cheers,

DC.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:07 pm

DeepCut wrote:I'm having a really hard time winning as Tarka, is it correct that they are the all-around weakest race and Hivers are the strongest ?

:? !Q!

There is no weakest or strongest race, except perhaps determined by starting position, relative tech level at start and as game progresses, galaxy type/settings, and randoms. Oh, and of course player ability. I would personally consider either the Tarka or Humans easiest for beginners. Liir might also be included in that group, but they're slow and fragile to begin with.

DeepCut

Post by DeepCut » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks Torezu.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Torezu wrote:
DeepCut wrote:I'm having a really hard time winning as Tarka, is it correct that they are the all-around weakest race and Hivers are the strongest ?

:? !Q!

There is no weakest or strongest race, except perhaps determined by starting position, relative tech level at start and as game progresses, galaxy type/settings, and randoms. Oh, and of course player ability. I would personally consider either the Tarka or Humans easiest for beginners. Liir might also be included in that group, but they're slow and fragile to begin with.

Tarka really shine in the Cruiser era, and their Dreads aren't bad either. Their Destroyers, on the other hand, are expensive and not so good. But yes, there's really no 'weakest' or 'strongest' race, it's just a difference in playstyle.

As for ease of play, I found Humans one of the hardest to deal with for the longest time; their DEs are okay, CRs terrible, and DNs are awesome, but surviving until I got to DNs was the problem. While the Node Drive may be the fastest move method in the game, the node-lines are restrictive and make it difficult to keep defensive fleets in critical areas. The only race I have a harder time figuring out how to play is Zuul.

I play a lot of games on random settings. For some reason, the sadorandomizer gives me Hivers about 75% of the time. For me, they're the easiest, but that's just because I'm so familiar with them. :)

DeepCut

Post by DeepCut » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:36 pm

~Thanks Starknight - L~OL @ sadorandomizer :)

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”