Story + Gameplay - Technology Tree

It has to be official™. It has its own forum.

Moderator: CatchCharyou

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Story + Gameplay - Technology Tree

Post by silvaril » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:56 am

Heya

If folks can get together and determine what percentages the Cthonics have for getting the various technologies please.

Keep in mind that while only Technologies used in SotS 1.2.2 are required for the first milestone, there is no requirement to assign values only based on SotS 1.2.2.

( Sticky Please :) )
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

usermist2

Re: Story + Gameplay - Technology Tree

Post by usermist2 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:00 am

I think it might be interesting if they had a little more armor than Hivers in certain places, but much less guns. Maybe they could specialize in plasma weapons? I don't think that there's any race that does that currently.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:47 am

Yeah... we should rethink the tech tree because what we had planned for them tech-wise ended up being the Morrigi.

The role of ships with wide omnidirectional firing arcs optimized for raking attacks is still pretty much open.

Hmm....
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:44 am

I think we should stick close to the original concept of their ship philosophy, and how this would affect what weapons they'd want. For fast raking attacks, plasma weapons are generally not going to be the best choice. Also, we have the Liir and Morrigi who excel with plasma weapons, the Tarka who are almost as good, and the Humans which get by pretty well...
I say the Cthonics should have Hiver-level rolls with plasma weapons, weaker vertical links and stronger horizontal ones.
For the other techs.. let's give them a little better than average chance at Neutronium, good chances at stormers/bursters/shotgun... and low chance at AP rounds and sniper cannon. Their ballistics is intended to drown the enemy in lead rather than make accurate shots. Accuracy is what particle beams are for.
They can have kinda bad rolls with gravity tech, as well.
I don't know if this came up before but ISTM they should be the absolute best at nanotech. They don't get the normal plagues but can deploy (and/or die from) nano-plague, so why not let them have good chances with it?
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Stargazer

Post by Stargazer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:07 am

The biochemistry thread so far seems to be agreeing on extremely high temperatures for the rockbug environment, which should probably be reflected in their technology.
These critters were working with high-temperature materials from the very beginning: they'd know things about them that we frozen life-forms haven't guessed at, like the Morrigi have a unique appreciation of gravity from their long history in space.

What techs pack on the heat?

Plasma seems a good bet to me. Torpedoes. Cannons.
Lasers/phasers (especially because lasers are currently a pain to keep cool, they're mounted on the outside because they're weapons, and because rockbugs are real good at keeping things cool-- superconducting materials and whatnot just to keep their computers running)

Explosive techs maybe not so much (explosives + heat = bad).
The beams seem to be particle weaponry...

Hmmm. Their superconductors would have to be high-temperature superconductors....
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090222142137.htm

They're good with magnets?
One night, I lay in my bed and looked up at the stars and pondered the great questions.
What is the meaning of life? Why are we here? Where is my roof?

Stargazer

Post by Stargazer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:30 am

Another possibility:

In these two threads--

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7873&start=15
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8035

--reference is made to the rockbug drive using a lot of computational power to move their ships around.

In the last thread there was also reference to the rockbugs being ambush predators, jumpers, like predatory birds.... something that waits for the right moment and then hits and hits hard.

So perhaps they could have fewer horizontal chances and much better vertical chances due to increased focus on their target-- which, granted, runs directly counter to Coyote27.
BUT, following up on the idea of the rockbug preference for scattershots and rapidfire weaponry, there could be a defining philosophy here:

1. Wait until the time is right (and the wait may be pretty extensive while they get everything perfect-- zipping up the tree to the best armor/cannons/whatever without the distraction of too many branches)

2. Surprise attack (exemplified in their jumping drive method; these guys may also have an affinity for cloaking)

3. Land right in the middle of the enemy and kill them all very very quickly (heavy use of weapons that hit hard and shoot fast, especially in the plasma tree: HACs, projectors, etc. and then things like stormers/scattershot/lightning guns/multiple warheads and maybe beams because they seem to be particular in nature. COL. Minefields. Low chances of accurate weaponry, or even more singular weaponry like phasers, combat lasers, torpedoes, armor-piercing, siege drivers, etc.)

This covers just weapons. Now, if their ideal is to land in the middle of everyone and blast away, they could be armored similarly to Hivers. The difference is that, as Coyote27 said, their ships could have omnidirectional firing arcs designed to rake targets and they would have fewer but larger weapons.
A kind of mix between Hiver and Zuul. They pack big guns and can take some punishment, but suffer on precision in favor of lots of lead/plasma/missiles.

Computers. If their drives take a lot of computing power, they could put that power to other uses, too and be quite good in the Drone tree.

So.... in sum a possible set-up is this: the rockbugs are really good at what they know, but they don't look elsewhere very often. They hit fast and they hit hard but they aren't terribly accurate. They aren't made of paper. They like computers and heat-weapons, but remain horribly confused about big-guns reducing sections like shielding, torpedo, predictive gunnery, etc.

Terraforming.... maybe they aren't real good at it? There's lots of super-hot rocks lying around in space.

Sensors/spies-- they have to know what their target is doing to be able to jump in most effectively.

Slower research rate, because they want to make sure they're getting everything perfect?

....I just contradicted parts of my earlier post but this seems to make more sense, at least to me.
One night, I lay in my bed and looked up at the stars and pondered the great questions.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:14 am

wuld a tech like genetical modification even fit this race?
wuld they need terra forming as the oter races do it, or wuld all they have to do is heating that damn rock up?
maby this race culd get one or two uniquie atmosperic conversion techs, with no access to all the other bio techs. combined with a slow grow ratethis also wuld give us the strong disadvantage we need if we are going to make a race with high damageresistance for heat based weapons.
also, if we think about some sort of ceramic style ships, maby a weakness to mass driver weapons wuld be sufficent.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Viewpoint issue... ;)

Post by silvaril » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Heya

Genetic Adaptation may be implemented by adapting to increased enviromental ranges, including hotter or colder climes.

The easiest method I can think of there given the earlier writings here is the alteration of the compounds binding the Si together to alter the habitat ranges available, by increasing Carbon or other elements to correspond with the intended environment.

An example of such things is the idea of Heavy Gravity genetic Human Modifications, where it is not an alteration across the entire species so much as the introduction of new strains of the species for differing environments.

Further, such genetic alteration is also used in the foodstuffs brought with a species to allow for initial flourishing until terraforming produces a climate better suited to the unmodified version ( of either or both the foodstuffs or the devourers ).
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Stargazer

Post by Stargazer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:53 pm

also, if we think about some sort of ceramic style ships, maybe a weakness to mass driver weapons would be sufficient.

It might be possible to model this with the armor/reflective coating techs (also other hull modifications like hardened electronics): very high chances of getting reflective/improved reflective (stealth/electronics), low chances of getting high-end armor but with high hull starting strength.... ceramic is tough to a point, but then it shatters. It doesn't 'bounce' well.

For terraforming, they could have a very high chance of getting atmospheric processors (branch from the industry tree) and still suck at the biological versions (or not have them at all.... though that seems a bit extreme).

Strong links to anything connected with mining/industry?

Bad at shields but good at absorbers?

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:35 pm

I like the idea of strong initial hulls but low chance of armour techs, and also the idea of bad (but still present) biological terraforming but high (or guaranteed?) atmo processing.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:06 pm

this wuld work, until the race salvages the better armors and become entirely über.
maby this wuld requie to set the chance to get admandite to 0 so it can not be salvaged.
maby even quarks shuld be forbidden.

Master

Post by Master » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:39 pm

Why would the rochbugs have low chances at biological teraforming? The Rockbug homeworld probably has about as much variation in life as earth. I don't think it's a stretch to assume life that is similar to our bacteria exist.
And since they obviously reproduce, I suppose this life has some alternate form of DNA, which can be modified.

Of course there could be a very good reason to not give them much biotech, but I think it shouldn't be based on the argument "They are made of silicon".
Furthermore, if the Rockbugs have a hazard rating that's usually far away from the other races, then giving them access to some biotech might be a good idea for balance reasons. Unless the plan is to make it near impossible for the Rockbugs to conquer enemy planets
"The next best thing to have after a reliable ally is a predictable enemy"

Stargazer

Post by Stargazer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Maybe the rockbugs aren't real into self-modification. They'll shape the planet (with factories or bugs or whatever) and they'll shape other species (trade or diplomacy or mass drivers to the face) but they like to keep themselves as they are.

Maybe the immotiles are willing to go along with changing times, but draw the line at stuff like adding extra lungs. Seems to me like the rockbugs would be a society with a lot of inertia, having members that stay the same for thousands of years at a time.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:28 pm

i think, we can make them as we want to...
they can be live as we know it, just with a slightly different chemy.
or the culd be some sort of living stone, maby old beyond our perception.
or some sort of living computers.

i guess we need someone, who sets this backgound up. this democratic approach dosnt seem to work verry well to me.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:08 am

I had a rather interesting idea today. The drive tech of each race essentially is an aspect of how they each approach the universe in general, right? so: why do the rockbugs use a charging FTL drive? The answer has to be because this mechanic is so ingrained to their psychology and worldview that it's the bestest way to get around evar!

So, assuming that they DON'T have a thick atmosphere, their planets will lose a lot of heat during the night, so they HAVE to store energy during the day cycle to survive nighttime. Since we've already discussed the possibility of using the immotiles as energy storage devices, we now have a logical reason for them to have evolved that way.

Also, it's rather hard to "hear" the song of the universe if the "music" is always being scattered by thick cloud cover. :)

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Return to “The Official Fan Mod Race”