Story + Gameplay - Technology Tree

It has to be official™. It has its own forum.

Moderator: CatchCharyou

Zabaron
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Re: Story + Gameplay - Technology Tree

Post by Zabaron » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:12 am

I think the only way a no-atmo planet would work is if there was no day/night cycle. That is, if the planet was tidally locked to its star (the same side always faces the star, much like our moon is tidally locked to the earth).

-Zabaron
"ʎq ʎlɟ ʎǝɥʇ sɐ ǝʞɐɯ ʎǝɥʇ punos ƃuıɥsooʍ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌol ı ˙sǝuılpɐǝp ǝʌol ı"
sɯɐpɐ sɐlƃnop-

Stargazer

Post by Stargazer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Also, it's rather hard to "hear" the song of the universe if the "music" is always being scattered by thick cloud cover. :)

If they evolved on a planet with a thick atmosphere, they wouldn't know any better-- that's just how "loud" the universe is.
But that might be an incentive to go to space: it's much "louder" in space and the rockbugs might even have large off-world populations who exploit this fact.

Hmmmm... if they like the "song" so much, could they be mega-engineers and build all kinds of living spaces around their planets? I know the population station is a Morrigi special, but does it have to stay that way?

How long have the rockbugs been interstellar travelers, anyway? Are they new at it-- like, just getting out even after the Zuul? They'd be finally leaving their world to find other planets to commune with and be extremely happy... and then wander into a running firefight between dreadnoughts. :shock:
One night, I lay in my bed and looked up at the stars and pondered the great questions.
What is the meaning of life? Why are we here? Where is my roof?

halo07guy

Post by halo07guy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:25 am

Just a thought, how about making them have the least efficent overharvest? It fits with their backstory.

And I agree. Given their ambush nature, cloaking and stealth armor seem ideal technologies. Though high chances for shielding make sense too, due to their knowledge of magnetism. Perhaps have high chances for shields for the same reason the Liir do? To compensate for their low chances of armor techs?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more these guys are starting to look like a Liir/Human hybrid. In terms of ships, at least.
Your world can end in the blink of an eye. One event, one unexpected twist of fate... and suddenly the world as you knew... is gone. Forever. All that you held dear, all that you held close... is washed away in a sea of distant memory. Life... is cruel. Of this I have no doubt. But life continues on... with, or without you. One can only hope that one leaves behind a lasting legacy.

R.I.P. Allison Mohney and Jared May

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:13 am

Well, with the addition of ANY, I believe that it's fair to ask: what Rockbug-only techs are there going to be? :mrgreen:

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

TerranDominion

Post by TerranDominion » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:57 pm

usermist2 wrote:I had a rather interesting idea today. The drive tech of each race essentially is an aspect of how they each approach the universe in general, right? so: why do the rockbugs use a charging FTL drive? The answer has to be because this mechanic is so ingrained to their psychology and worldview that it's the bestest way to get around evar!

So, assuming that they DON'T have a thick atmosphere, their planets will lose a lot of heat during the night, so they HAVE to store energy during the day cycle to survive nighttime. Since we've already discussed the possibility of using the immotiles as energy storage devices, we now have a logical reason for them to have evolved that way.

Also, it's rather hard to "hear" the song of the universe if the "music" is always being scattered by thick cloud cover. :)

Well, I'm new to this so I'll just start. Silicon life need more energy to survive right?

So why even have nights on their HW, maybe they just have days. Most solar systems in the galaxy are Binary and Trinary Stars anyway. It would give them the energy they require to survive. Imagine the world in Pitch Black

If the planet does have rotation make it a trinary system like Alpha Centuri where two of the planets are gravimetrically locked while the third Proxima Centuri is orbiting them far out like a planet. These "Rockbug" Homeworld would be orbiting between the gravimetrically locked Suns and the far orbiting Sun.

There is even evidence here in our solar system, Jupiter is a failed Sun, imagine our evolution would be if Jupiter went Fusion. Who knows maybe silicon life may more prevalent than carbon based.

usermist2 wrote:Well, with the addition of ANY, I believe that it's fair to ask: what Rockbug-only techs are there going to be? :mrgreen:

What about instead of harvesting system resources for fuel they harvest the fusion materials off the Sun. There ships refuel automatically when they stay a turn in a system, basically basking their ships near the sun
I swear to god...someday Galactus will devour the earth and crushed under his foot will be a nerd mumbling "I am not sure you really can suck the life essence of the world up that one giant heating duct you are using". Mecron

Reiver

Post by Reiver » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:56 am

Not much point for Refineries, then.

Now, you could if you wanted (And note, this is exceptionally powerful), have it so that Refineries, when set to Refine, instead extend... oh, giant mirrors to collect energy. Or start skimming off the solar plasma.

This would basically let them refuel at any planet, for free (Normal refining hurts the planets Resources). It... would work, but still be pretty powerful given they wouldn't need to be picky about which rocks they stripped. ;)

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:45 pm

powerfull?
what power? the power of not sending one or two reffys?
i doubt this noticable wuld change anything.

what about an altered industrieal output for imperials, combined with either more or less maximum pop?

like: allowing fewer people with higher output = faster colony deployment, but fewer stations

or

more people with lower output = slower growth but more stations.

or

race is totaly ignoring climate, but is only capable of colonizing planets within a specific ress/size ratio for gravity issues. as race can not terraform, it can not incorporate other races. maby no trade, too. (some harsch disatvantages needed with this one as no hc is verry powerfull)

no real ideas these are, just some brainstorming to inspire you ;)

Reiver

Post by Reiver » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:42 pm

Are you kidding? The need to maintain an actual support fleet is a very significant aspect of a force; being able to freely refuel as needed would be a massive advantage.

Not quite unlimited range, no, but just think what a deep striker/force fleet could do if you needn't worry about fuel beyond 'next jump'. ;)

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:26 pm

I was thinking. The Imperials and the Civilian population on planets. Is that kinda like the system they have in Starship Troopers? You're a civvie until you do the military service then you become a citizen (Imperial)?
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:37 pm

Reiver wrote:Are you kidding? The need to maintain an actual support fleet is a very significant aspect of a force; being able to freely refuel as needed would be a massive advantage.

Not quite unlimited range, no, but just think what a deep striker/force fleet could do if you needn't worry about fuel beyond 'next jump'. ;)

jeah. no, not realy.
if you just eliminating the need of tankers, this is a balancing issue that culd be done much more easy by tuning ship costs (financial and industrieal)

pastmaster,i don not understand the question.
ob better saied: i dont get the context.

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:15 pm

motorbitch wrote:pastmaster,i don not understand the question.

I'm prone to random thoughts and outburst of things less that relevent to the current topic but anyhow. I was wondering about the planets. Each colonized world has two classes of inhabitants. Civilian and Imperials. So I was thinking if one could only be born into this "nobility" so to speak or if one could, say, enlist into the fleet and then become an Imperial citizen.
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

TerranDominion

Post by TerranDominion » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Reiver wrote:Not much point for Refineries, then.

Now, you could if you wanted (And note, this is exceptionally powerful), have it so that Refineries, when set to Refine, instead extend... oh, giant mirrors to collect energy. Or start skimming off the solar plasma.

This would basically let them refuel at any planet, for free (Normal refining hurts the planets Resources). It... would work, but still be pretty powerful given they wouldn't need to be picky about which rocks they stripped. ;)

If I am correct doesn't their jumpdrive take one turn before actually jumping. This 'basking' near the sun could support this. Maybe their jumpdrive takes so much energy to actually jump and they do not have the power generation to support it and their lifesupport systems. So they have to "harvest" the Star materials to get the energy they need. Maybe once in Anti-Matter age and maxed engines, they won't have to wait one turn because their power generation is enough for both. So maybe refineries are needed more because of their energy consumption (kinda like the Tarka).

One thing I don't know. Do the Rockbugs have venting or non-venting drives?
I swear to god...someday Galactus will devour the earth and crushed under his foot will be a nerd mumbling "I am not sure you really can suck the life essence of the world up that one giant heating duct you are using". Mecron

sorain

Post by sorain » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:38 pm

Imagine the world in Pitch Black - Terrandominion

I imagine that the Rockbugs would have a cultural phrase relating to that single month of darkness, something that combines "When Hell Freezes Over" with "Come Ragnarok". A planet being glassed report could well be "The time without light has fallen upon us."
The brain gets its power from performing many parallel operations, a computer from performing operations very quickly.

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:05 pm

The_Pastmaster wrote:
motorbitch wrote:pastmaster,i don not understand the question.

I'm prone to random thoughts and outburst of things less that relevent to the current topic but anyhow. I was wondering about the planets. Each colonized world has two classes of inhabitants. Civilian and Imperials. So I was thinking if one could only be born into this "nobility" so to speak or if one could, say, enlist into the fleet and then become an Imperial citizen.

I think it varies by race and civilization. In general I think the Starship Troopers analogy is reasonable. Members of the Party in a communist country isn't a bad example for humans either.

To my mind Imperials are not necessarily military or nobility but they are invested in the government or vice versa. An Imperial works for or is directly connected to the Imperial government in some way. A Civilian lives in the space and follows their laws but is privately employed and/or not an adamant supporter of the empire.

Cthonic civilians might be the ones who don't really care about the great mission of planetary sentience and pursue their own goals. They are part of the same society and indirectly contribute to the overall goal but don't go out of their personal way over it.

As for the fuel. If we want them to be fuel-less as an advantage that's one thing but I don't think their drive system automatically bypasses it.

1) That charge may not be all the power they need. The process may require some massive investment to create the necessary conditions at all. This would be a fixed cost represented by the charge time. The energy to actually perform and direct the jump once the trigger conditions are set is separate and varies by jump.

2) Fuel isn't just fuel. If it were, the amount of fuel a Hiver (or other) ship would burn during STL would be about the same regardless of trip length. Accelerate, cruise, break at destination. Fuel is also life support, food supplies and emergency equipment from what I can tell. I know this doesn't explain how you can park a DE in deep space for 100 years and still use it... but I think that issue comes up no matter how you look at fuel.

newestpiggy

Post by newestpiggy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:37 am

On the subject of fuel it dosnt seam like they real eat so much as get engery from the sun so food wouldnt be apart of fuel for them. Becouse they could just use solar power they wouldnt need fuel for normal drives. But to jump might take a bit more of a burst of engery that you get from solar power, useing fuel up. so they can only use there charge up so often befor needed a refuel but they can do normal speed (sublight?) ass long as they want becouse they just soak up the engery for it. keep in mind this is my first post for rockbugs so i may have no idea what im talking about.

Return to “The Official Fan Mod Race”