Offical: First opportunity to make a Fan Made MOD Race

It has to be official™. It has its own forum.

Moderator: CatchCharyou

MaryG

Post by MaryG » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:46 am

ok,slightly modded to look more like a crystal growth in a rock matrix :) let me know what you think :)

White Raven

Post by White Raven » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:58 am

First, let me say...

Good job Mary!

Those are great for early concept models...

Just remember that Sots models are subject to two major necessities when you go to start refining them:

The attatchment points between sections.

Weapon mounts.

Keep up the good work!

--WR
"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'Interesting'."

"OH, God, OH, God, we're all going to die?"

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Starting to look suspiciously like my MSPaint idea.... ;)

Post by silvaril » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:09 pm

Heya Mary

Could you try the following pretty please:

Command section similar asteroid concept but with a rod of crystal placed horizontally across the front instead of projecting forth as they are in your last one.

Engine section with three rods of crystal projecting forward from the aft of the engine section and forming a triangle with their points, just aft of the mission section. A further rod of crystal projects back in line with the ship from the join point of the three forward-projecting rods.
(essentially forming the interior of a tetrahedron, or a caltrop)
I think it would be better if the asteroid material covered the join, leaving the four rods projecting from a nub of some kind.

Mission section with spiky bits :)

To take the concept further, could I also ask for a command section similar to the one above, but with 4 nubs of rock projecting perpendicular to the line of the ship at the 45 degree points between the horizontal and vertical planes.
Essentially so that they form an X when viewed from directly ahead of the ship.

My idea of a HammerHead command section in this vein.

Crystals in this case could project a short way from the rock nubs in line with them.

Ta
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Id have to agree with Cov. Growing ships is a neat and interesting idea, but it would need the ability to set up a list of models with organic variations for the game to randomly select for a single ship type. An organic/grown ship will not look good when copy/pasted next to 10 or so other ships that look exactly the same.
I'm damn sure that aint happening.

I just don't like the idea for these guys.
As Cov said Id rather have something that looked manufactured rather than grown.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Nice links...

Post by silvaril » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:27 pm

Heya

Now that as a texture for the exterior surface of the rock style ships would be nice. Even a mix of this and the standard rock exterior to mix things up a bit.
The striping of the standard rock with this style of texture would allow for player colour representation.

And this as the windows texture style rather than the clear see-through version for the humans.
Given the atmosphere of their homeworld, there is no reason to have clear windows... :)

If we get to the point that armours alter the external textures for the ships, then this would work for that.

What I like about this is that it shows that we do not need to have rods of crystal projecting from the ship. We could have these waves of "frilly" crystal projections to do the Deep Scan or Jammer functions, or indeed most other section types.

Thanks for the links 'Pleb.
I really only went looking for gemstone style myself initially.
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Just like Erdrik said, keep in mind that not only does the individual ship have to look good but they also have to look good in a formation of 30 other same models in a formation. Asteroids would be very cool as a ship material but they are a bit too natural, I think, unless they look like they have gone through some serious "uniformation". And after that they aren't exactly asteroids anymore...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:00 pm

I agree with the suggestion that we want these things to look manufactured. Asteroids and crystals are ok for a starting point, but I think we want some kind of machined-looking stuff along the outside to make it clear that these are in no way completely natural formations.

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:21 pm

Personaly I'd prefer the segmented tail like design cov had. Looks a little like a stylized version of their tails.
Perhapes tails and ornaments are crucial in their society for judging the size and strength of a soldier. If so it would make sense to have their ships looks big and strong, from their own point of view.

Unwashed_Pleb
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Unwashed_Pleb » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:33 pm

just because something is grown does not mean it is always unique.. and since they have full control over the growth of said crystals, they can make them grow in any fasion they like.. I know i hate referring to other games, but take a look at tthese

http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamesp ... nder.shtml

specifically look at the images of the Chenjesu Broodhome craft.

They look manufactured, but just like our ships, they are grown themselves out of living crystal.

if you can, download The Ur-Quan Masters, and look at the Chmmr. Part robot, part crystalline life form, and look at the crystal formations. While there are the usual craggy surfaces, there are amazing pillars of crystal with spherical balls on the end.

It CAN look manufactured, it just can't look like it was made with metal. Separate yourself from traditional 'manufactured looks'.

Try to work off of the segmented tail section that was made :)
Plebeian. Adj.
1. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of commoners.
2. Unrefined or coarse in nature or manner; common or vulgar: plebeian tastes.

Unwashed. Adj.
1. Unclean
2. Plebeian: the unwashed masses.

Covenant

Post by Covenant » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:10 pm

Unwashed_Pleb wrote:They look manufactured, but just like our ships, they are grown themselves out of living crystal.

It CAN look manufactured, it just can't look like it was made with metal. Separate yourself from traditional 'manufactured looks'.

I ask again, says who? Why? What purpose does this have? Why would any species want to do this? How would said species develop spaceflight? Crystals do not have magic powers. If they got into space, they did it with rockets made out of metal and fueled by chemical reactions--not in giant wads of heavy, useless crystals.

You cannot just tell us this is how it is. Especially when few people even like the idea and everyone realizes it's utterly unrealistic. You have no authority to dictate what ideas to use.

Zabaron
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Zabaron » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:22 pm

Just because the species is made of rock doesn't mean their ships have to be. We're made of flesh, but do we have fleshey ships flying around in space? I agree that the designs should incorporate some rock/crystal, but the ships should be built mostly the standard way none the less.

Oh, and the only one to actually come to #SotS-Modding so far has been Chariot, and he isn't even involved in this project so far. Discussion is much easier in realtime, so try it out. If you don't know how to use IRC or even what IRC is, go to http://www.mIRC.com to learn about it.

-Zabaron
"ʎq ʎlɟ ʎǝɥʇ sɐ ǝʞɐɯ ʎǝɥʇ punos ƃuıɥsooʍ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌol ı ˙sǝuılpɐǝp ǝʌol ı"
sɯɐpɐ sɐlƃnop-

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:03 am

I agree with Zabaron whole hearitdly about ship design. I pitched an idea about manipulating metals pretty early on, and stick by it. There's no reason these guys shouldn't be using metals for the basis of their ships.

But that's ok, we're just pitching ideas until one sticks.
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:50 am

I agree that crystals and asteroids, in and of themselves, don't have any magical properties. That's one reason why I think some sort of really large crystal or crystal/asteroid hybrid, with substantial machinery on the outside, would look best. A big crystal could be some sort of tuning/focusing mechanism or something, and that would make it useful as part of a machine... but by itself, a crystal won't do anything. Especially it won't move something through space at FTL speeds, except as part of something more complex than itself.

MaryG

Post by MaryG » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:50 am

i can see everyones point :) now i need to actually dust off the brain and think... what would machinery made by a race like this look like? i was actually thinking the ships could be done using cubes as iron pyrite forms naturaly like that. perhaps i'll give it a try a little later :)

Covenant

Post by Covenant » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:10 am

MaryG wrote:i can see everyones point :) now i need to actually dust off the brain and think... what would machinery made by a race like this look like? i was actually thinking the ships could be done using cubes as iron pyrite forms naturaly like that. perhaps i'll give it a try a little later :)

Well, if it aint broke, don't fix it! Let's look at some asteroidy types of ships we've seen in the past. Kerebos DID work in their previous incarnation on HW:Cataclysm, so bringing a similar aesthetic wouldn't be completely out of line. I'm not sure how to turn these into a SOTS ship, but here's some machined crystal asteroids.

http://shipyards.relicnews.com/concept/images/display.htm?009.jpg

http://shipyards.relicnews.com/misc/images/extra_special_thanks.jpg

http://shipyards.relicnews.com/misc/images/megaship2.jpg

Return to “The Official Fan Mod Race”