Gameplay - 1.2.2 GOB File

It has to be official™. It has its own forum.

Moderator: CatchCharyou

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:01 am

Zabaron wrote:
The stats need to come first, making data files to reflect them will probably take less time than figuring out the next ship's stats.

Indeed.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:18 am

if you argue about every section stats it will take a you a million years :P

Zabaron
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Zabaron » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:34 am

Which team is in charge of stats anyway? Strictly from the names I would guess Gameplay or Design, but I'm not really clear on that.

-Zabaron
"ʎq ʎlɟ ʎǝɥʇ sɐ ǝʞɐɯ ʎǝɥʇ punos ƃuıɥsooʍ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌol ı ˙sǝuılpɐǝp ǝʌol ı"
sɯɐpɐ sɐlƃnop-

grinningman

Post by grinningman » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:27 pm

Silvaril can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that gameplay covers everything that doesn't involve story, graphics or modelling. So I guess stats fall under gameplay.

I believe this - http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 4028#84028 - was generally accepted for the stats, number of turrets, their placement and so on for 5 basic DE sections. Putting together the corresponding .shipsection files for these looks a good place to start.

Edit:

Here are some less detailed suggestions for the number of turrets on other ship sections: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... php?t=6355

Edit 2:

And while I'm searching the forums, this looks like the best model for strategic drive mechanics:

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... ght=#78693
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 3286#83286

But I think there are still details to be worked out here.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Notably the requirement for Modelers to know the turret #'s

Post by silvaril » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:08 pm

Heya

Determining game balance and modifying stats appropriately is the Gameplay Team's job.

So the figures going in should be determined by this Team.

Rather than arguing about the stats for now, I would like to have the files created using what has been chosen thus far.

Then test, initially only in Tactical Combat, to see how things work.

The Tarka were chosen by me as the baseline because their drive system is straight forward enough with no other tweaks in game such as a requirement for nodelines, STL only interstellar travel or Gravitic interference.
As a result we can imitate the jump & recharge method of Cthonic travel by simply dialing back the Warp engine speed to the Average Cthonic speed to achieve some indication of strategic gameplay impact.
( no it is not perfect, but it is a starting point )

Having the files available to plug numbers into, rather than making them on the go as each section is modeled, gives the Modelers an idea of how many turrets they need to incorporate into each Model as well as allowing hand-over to new Team members as the need arises for division of labour.
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Zabaron
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Zabaron » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:59 pm

silvaril wrote:Having the files available to plug numbers into, rather than making them on the go as each section is modeled, gives the Modelers an idea of how many turrets they need to incorporate into each Model

True, but we can't make the files until we know how many turrets to put on them. That's what the spreadsheet was intended for (though I need to go through and re-do it since all the numbers are pre-BoB). We need to decide on preliminary numbers to before we make the files; we can tweak them once we have a baseline.

-Zabaron
"ʎq ʎlɟ ʎǝɥʇ sɐ ǝʞɐɯ ʎǝɥʇ punos ƃuıɥsooʍ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌol ı ˙sǝuılpɐǝp ǝʌol ı"
sɯɐpɐ sɐlƃnop-

grinningman

Post by grinningman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:52 pm

AlanF5 and ZedF seem to have worked out most of the firing arcs and turrets for DEs in this thread on pages 10, 13, 14 and 15. We should resurrect that thread to continue talking about turrets and firing arcs for the rest of the ships. Zabaron has hitpoint values for all the Cthonic sections in the google docs spreadsheet. So now all we need is the cost, mass, crew, construction points and netforcelimit values for each section.

Unless there are any objections, I'll start creating Cthonic DE shipsection files from the info above. Where I can't find what to put in from the above info, I'll just use Tarka values.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

I can't argue the point too often without agrro issues... ;)

Post by silvaril » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:13 am

Heya

That sounds good.

My intention is to re-use Tarka values where Cthonic values are not yet determined.

Having the files available for people to plug various values into for testing is a major point of the exercise.

Thanks

Disclaimer:

grinningman

Post by grinningman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Just a quick update - I can now pretty easily adjust the Tarka .shipsection files to Cthonic versions, replacing the number and type of turrets, cpoints, hitpoints etc for each section. It all seems to work in game.

Master

Re: Gameplay - 1.2.2 GOB File

Post by Master » Tue May 20, 2008 10:57 am

Two questions:
First: Are the stats for ships on the wiki correct for BOB 1.4.1?
Second: What are the traits of Rockbug ships? (cost, health turrets?)

If nobody has a problem with it, I'll make some numbers up in The Spreadsheet here.
"The next best thing to have after a reliable ally is a predictable enemy"

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Uh, yes dear... no dear... let me just upload this dear...

Post by silvaril » Tue May 20, 2008 11:28 am

Heya

While we try to maintain the Wiki with correct information, as with most Mods, we're mostly pulling the info directly from the GOB file.

Which is to copy the GOB file(s) to another directory, rename them to *.zip and then extract them. :)

Xela's SotSA editor is shaping up well as the primary tool for this work, however as he is likely occupied for the next couple of weeks... :D

Disclaimer:

Master

Re: Gameplay - 1.2.2 GOB File

Post by Master » Tue May 20, 2008 3:02 pm

I knnow that, it's just that I'd like to work a little on it when I have too much spare time at school, where I don't have acces to the files. But perhaps I can copie all the files that I need to my USB-stick.
"The next best thing to have after a reliable ally is a predictable enemy"

Return to “The Official Fan Mod Race”