PCGamer quick article SOTS2: Enhanced

All the blurbs from our main page, notices of updates, and other Kerberos items from around the web.
darknicademis

PCGamer quick article SOTS2: Enhanced

Post by darknicademis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/03/paradox-announce-sword-of-the-stars-ii-enhanced-edition-but-does-it-fix-the-bugs/

The article specifically asks for player feedback with "Last year, Tom Senior’s review criticised the many crashes, bugs, and design issues that affected what could have been an interesting 4X strategy. Has anyone kept up with the flood of updates? Is SotS2 finally the game it always should have been?"

-DarkNicademis

ProjectLevyDelta

Re: PCGamer quick article SOTS2: Enhanced

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:04 pm

The game still has a major problem with UI lag. On an I7 quad with 9 GB it takes at least *3-5* seconds just to make a transition between management screens (e.g., technology and the galaxy map. Considering how many times you need to do things like that, this makes the game incredibly tedious, especially given that the level of detail they introduced slows down the pace of game play radically from SotS 1. So far, I have attempted to start two games, and twice, after about 80 turns, I've just closed the window without saving.
It's just. Not. Fun.

love this comment =P

He thinks the game actually uses all 9GB of RAM???

well it easy to see this gamer is not a gamer at all~ when you don't know what the restrictions of 32bit means... it probably a nice pat on the shoulder to let you know that you should return to consoles.

Galwail

Post by Galwail » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:11 pm

ProjectLevyDelta wrote:love this comment =P

well it easy to see this gamer is not a gamer at all~ when you don't know what the restrictions of 32bit means... it probably a nice pat on the shoulder to let you know that you should return to consoles.

I love that comment too. Mostly because those transition times are there and I too don't like them :(

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:14 pm

EoF needs optimization yes? 8)

Italianmoose

Post by Italianmoose » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Slightly off topic, but does anyone actually use all their RAM at once? I've never been able to fill up 6GB... This is merely personal interest, as I've seen a lot of laptops with absurd amounts of RAM and I've been thinking "seems a bit scammy?"

adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:18 pm

"Has anyone kept up with the flood of updates? Is SotS2 finally the game it always should have been?"

This isn't a forum, shouldn't you be telling us?

this comment is probably my favorite.

and italianmoose, i use all 16 gigs of my ram often, but not in games, more in programs like after effects and maya

and i agree with some of the comments about UI lag, it continues to plague the game, but its improving

Italianmoose

Post by Italianmoose » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Ah, fair enough, cheers ;) I'd forgotten about big productivity programs!

Galwail

Post by Galwail » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Italianmoose wrote:Slightly off topic, but does anyone actually use all their RAM at once? I've never been able to fill up 6GB... This is merely personal interest, as I've seen a lot of laptops with absurd amounts of RAM and I've been thinking "seems a bit scammy?"

With Sots launched my computer uses 4 GB of memory ... or so does the Task Manager say.

SancheZ1993

Post by SancheZ1993 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:30 pm

SOTS2 never used more, than 2 gb of memory. Even on largest map. Even 64 bit. Oh, topicstarter also forget to say about annoying CTDs (runtime errors) while filling memory up to 1,5 gb.

Italianmoose

Post by Italianmoose » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:31 pm

?! I think I'm looking at the wrong number...

adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:35 pm

SancheZ1993

Post by SancheZ1993 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:35 pm

There was a few tech reports, which said about non-stop memory consuming by SOTS (up to 6 gb :shock:)

OF-pathfinder

Post by OF-pathfinder » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Galwail wrote:
ProjectLevyDelta wrote:love this comment =P

I love that comment too. Mostly because those transition times are there and I too don't like them :(

I agree on the UI issue to a degree. Annoying as heck but NOT game breaking in my opinion.

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Who did Mecron piss off in another life for Kerb to get this kind of treatment? IMO, one of the true tests of character is owning up and fixing mistakes. I guess Kerb/Paradox isn't playing the game review game right ($$$).
I'm NOT a cat!

Freyland

Post by Freyland » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Nall White wrote:Who did Mecron piss off in another life for Kerb to get this kind of treatment? IMO, one of the true tests of character is owning up and fixing mistakes. I guess Kerb/Paradox isn't playing the game review game right ($$$).

Um, I appreciate Mecron as much as the next Kerb fan, but why do you suggest it had to be in *another* life? :lol:

Return to “Kerberos News & Information”