PCGamer quick article SOTS2: Enhanced

All the blurbs from our main page, notices of updates, and other Kerberos items from around the web.
Excalibur Bane

Re: PCGamer quick article SOTS2: Enhanced

Post by Excalibur Bane » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 am

Wow. Like settle down you two. You remind me of my parents. :P
Founder, The United Blacksmiths Of Britannia
UBB Eternal

BellaStrega

Post by BellaStrega » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:58 am

Excalibur Bane wrote:Wow. Like settle down you two. You remind me of my parents. :P

Your parents argue quality issues in modern video games? Cool.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 am

Not going to read the article. Why?

Its PC Gamer. They wouldn't know a good game if it didn't bribe the journalist first. Same with IGN.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

DaNuker

Post by DaNuker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Excalibur Bane wrote:Wow. Like settle down you two. You remind me of my parents. :P

BellaStrega wrote:Your parents argue quality issues in modern video games? Cool.

That would make for awesome parents for any sci-fi fan. :twisted:

Anyway, its mainly just feedback. The main thing is to get most of the bugs out of the way and every player be pleased with the end result and be able to get more folks into the game. :D

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:28 pm

PCGamer is a barely passable site for gaming news (which is already a very bereft field), and just a terrible site for reviews.

They finally gave EE an actual re-review, but I suspect there may be some bitterness over actually getting called out on not doing their job here. Just a little.
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:49 pm

Sounds from their re-review that they gave someone an hour or two to look at it, having little or no previous experience with the game, and without looking at the manual. Consequently he balked at the learning curve and that's pretty much the entire basis of the article.

It's at least consistent with the approach they took to the news article. :roll:
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Goomich

PCGamer quick article SOTS2: Enhanced

Post by Goomich » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:24 pm

And it's PCG's fault that game isn't accesible?

Drowsy

Post by Drowsy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:27 pm

We need to trow more money at Kerberos so they can buy a proper review next time.

ThunderGodThor

Post by ThunderGodThor » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:32 pm

Guess hes never tryed EVE. :roll:

I also dont think hes ever played an RTS let alone a 4x lol. btw what did we do before tutorials lol.

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:59 pm

Goomich wrote:And it's PCG's fault that game isn't accesible?

Don't...just don't. That wasn't a review, it was hardly even an honest critique with any integrity. It was a shallow and obvious lambaste at a perceived easy target. He overblows his complaints and makes no attempt at comprehension or actual exploration of what the game offers. A review has to be more than "this is a checklist what I don't like." SO yeah, it's PCG's fault for not really putting any effort into it because they don't feel like they have to. The funny thing is they took such a quick and easy way off that he didn't even get to any of the legitimate faults that are worth discussing, and that's how you know there wasn't any effort.
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Adamfostas

Post by Adamfostas » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:01 pm

Yeah, heaven forfend a complex game have a tutorial like the majority of games on the market, am I right guys?

tyranny12

Post by tyranny12 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:12 pm

DaNuker wrote:Yes, it's on the fence, the reason mainly beacuse I want to draw more players in (to give them a facefull of <insert AM era weapon of choice> :twisted:) and been trying to pull some of them into the game, or in some cases back into the game. It's part opinion and part initial feedback from talking with a couple of folks that in both in real life and online that are fans of the space 4X genre when SotS2 gets discussed.

Have to agree on one thing. It's still hard to pull people in to the game. I gifted it to a friend this Christmas but I'm almost hoping he doesn't try it for a few weeks - the AI is a tough sell at present (at least in my games, where they roll over and stop interacting after awhile.) And I think(?) that is getting some love soon.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:29 pm

Should the reviewer mention the lack of tutorial, and that it caused him problems? Sure. But that shouldn't be the entire basis for his review. Reading the manual and spending enough time with the game to get an idea of how it's supposed to work and why it's supposed got work that way are pretty fundamental prerequisites for a good review. Either the reviewer or the review site (or both) didn't care enough to do a proper job, and it shows.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

xp194

Post by xp194 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:46 pm

I dunno, I thin he carries a lot of good points. The game... is not exactly intuitive. I'm /still/ having trouble getting my head around the whole mission thing and it is rather irksome to have to go through all those steps of finding an admiral and making a fleet just because I want the ships at planet A to be hanging out at planet B. Realistic or no, it doesn't exactly feel as 'fun' to play as SotS 1. Certainly the inflexibility the system causes is irksome. It's probably too late to change that, though, and there doesn't seem to be any desire to anyway, which is kind of a shame because... I'm really not finding SotS 2 all that fun in general.

Anyway.. that's my two cents on the matter. Take it into account or ignore it as you like.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:15 pm

You don't have to make a fleet just to move ships from one place to another. You can use the "reserve movement" button to move the reserves in one system to the reserves in another system. Right click on the destination, select Relocate and look for the Reserve button toward the top. Clicking that button will allow you to move reserves without a CnC ship.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Return to “Kerberos News & Information”