Some wishful Kerberos related speculation

All the blurbs from our main page, notices of updates, and other Kerberos items from around the web.
zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Some wishful Kerberos related speculation

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:19 am

So, recently I've been playing Dead Cells and Hollow Knight to fill my time, both very good metroidvanias. The first is more vania than metroid, and the second is more metroid then vania. I really like the hiver feel to hollow knight. Anyhow, so this got me to thinking, what if... Kerberos did a good, solid metroidvania (please more metroid then vania!) in the SotS universe. How would that play out, and would we be able to choose at least one character per canon major race (and maybe some minor race characters), and how that would change the game play mechanic so each run would feel unique and different. Playstyles, player upgrades, etc, etc, etc... OMG... is this your current, secret project that you can't tell us about yet? When can I kick start this? Squeeeeeeeeee!

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Some wishful Kerberos related speculation

Post by ZedF » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:50 pm

Unlikely, as that would come rather out of left field given what they've said thus far...
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 pm

In all honesty what they have said thus far doesn't sound all that exciting to me.

I'm not a fan of The Pit in the first place, so The Pit 2 isn't really making me jump for joy. A shooter based on The Pit interests me a little, but the market isn't exactly seeing a lack of FPS games right now and I have no idea what they would be doing to make that attractive to most FPS players.

In the time since SotS 2, there have been no games that showcase anything ship-related from the SotSverse. I would have thought maybe a top down shooter or something with actual ships from different races being featured. I could see a game where you fly some kind of advanced assault shuttle over the different home worlds of the SotS races and see their architecture and infrastructure up close as you bomb it while fighting against their planetary defense forces.

If I could fast forward to some solid SotSHD news, my hand would be all over that button.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 pm

So you’ve said. Don’t think it really helps anyone to be a wet blanket, though; I don’t see Kerb’s plans changing as a result. You’ll just have to be patient.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Yeah geez slash give it a bit of a rest. Do ya think maybe we haven't gotten back to space because we have that pretty covered. I know for you guys we are a gamewish factory, but from our side we are professional artists in 3 different disciplines that are also interested in mastering things we DON'T usually do. Trust us, we will return to space but try to keep in mind this has been a few year break after nearly 15 years in space for this team.

As for a side scroller kinda thing. At least half the team would love to do something along those lines someday.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:26 pm

I apologize Mec, but I can't unlike the things I like and like the things I don't at will. Maybe I haven't understood what you guys were doing during this period and haven't been looking at it like you guys experimenting with random other genres while the next 4x was in the bag. I've been looking at it like each game you guys did was to advance toward a SOTS 4x, and it was kind of a big deal to make them successful so people were interested in that game.

But if you guys have it covered and I've been worrying for no good reason I'll just wait out the time until you announce it.

Apart from that, I can say I really liked KAG and would love to see more of that. And if you did the top down or side scrolling game I'd be right at the front of the line for it.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:06 pm

"I've been looking at it like each game you guys did was to advance toward a SOTS 4x, and it was kind of a big deal to make them successful so people were interested in that game."

Yep, very true. And its the way we look at it as well. But the reality is the support never materialized in numbers that could help make a relevant space game right off the bat. And lets be a little sensible reading between the lines, its common sense to realize that it takes time for some dust to settle. And so we make new games, attract new fans and push forward ever onwards. Per Ardua Ad Astra, folks!

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:31 pm

While that's cool you might want to do a platformish side scroller, would you incorporate other metroid type features, like unlocking new areas after gaining special abilities? Heck, even a more open feeling map type like Hob, where as your abilities unlock, you gain more and more mastery over the terrain, and already played areas reveal secrets would be super cool. As a bonus, playing a different character results in a different story mostly because of the abilities found and unlocked, and how they use them... Think SAGA frontier meets metroid. I really like that concept, and think it might fit well in the SotS universe!

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:50 pm

I thought we were talking something where you flew a ship. Well Mecron never specified in any case.

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:37 pm

Slashman wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:50 pm
I thought we were talking something where you flew a ship. Well Mecron never specified in any case.
Multiple planets to explore, and flying a ship around could also be cool.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 am

zanzibar196 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:37 pm
Slashman wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:50 pm
Multiple planets to explore, and flying a ship around could also be cool.
For sure I'd like to see the architecture of the different races represented in the game as you flew over the various worlds.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 pm

An infinity of games lay waiting in the SotsVerse :twisted:

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Mecron wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 pm
An infinity of games lay waiting in the SotsVerse :twisted:
Now, we just need to crowd source and make some! Yay! :D

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm

speaking of crowdsourcing and games... our board game divisions first project will hit Kickstarter in the latter half of January. As always, any help spreading the word will be most appreciated!

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 am

I've already notified some folks about it, including my cousin's board gaming group. Hopefully they will contribute.

Return to “Kerberos News & Information”