The different nations?

Have OmniCrate™, will travel the stars.
Space Voyager

Re: The different nations?

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:56 am

SpardaSon21 wrote:What's wrong with Viking helmets and long ships? Vikings are awesome.

Heh, not if you live around year 1000AD. :o
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:09 am

zanzibar196 wrote:Greenland too was a norse settlement :P

And is today (To my knowledge) a part of the Danish "Union". Much like Australia is technically a colony of The United Kingdoms. (Or was that Canada...)
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:04 am

The_Pastmaster wrote:Weeell... If one to be picky, it's actually Scandinavian countries. Nordic is only Sweden, Norway and Finland. Scandinavia is the three aforementioned plus Denmark and Iceland (Which is pretty "green" BTW)

Incorrect. Denmark is part of EUROPE, not Scandinavia, no matter how much they want to be. Scandinavia is the peninsula the extends westward from the former Soviet Union NORTH of Europe.

Here's a handy map for you.
See? No Denmark! :wink:

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:24 am

So my 4 geography teachers where in need of a serious update?
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Meat

Post by Meat » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:11 pm

The_Pastmaster wrote:So my 4 geography teachers where in need of a serious update?

And your spelling teacher! ('were').

( Sorry Pastmaster, just couldn't resist :D )

But you are correct, as the source of all truth and knowledge (may it ever provide) says Scandinavia consistently refers to Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, with Iceland and Finland as wannabe members.

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:16 pm

No prob. People make fun of me all the time. :wink:

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:08 am

That's kind of funny, since the map doesn't lie, and it clearly shows Finland but not Denmark. As I said, Denmark WANTS to be part of Scandinavia for some weird reason, but the Scandinavian PENINSULA clearly does not have Denmark on it. :roll:

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:07 am

Actually with the Oresunds Bridge it is a part of Scandinavia. Because now you can go from Denmark to Sweden ALL the way on solid ground. And Denmark doesn't want to be a part of Scandinavia. It wants Scandinavia to be a part of Denmark.

Meat

Post by Meat » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:59 am

Looks like Scandinavia != Scandinavian Peninsula. One of those weird geography vs. country grouping things I guess.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:49 am

Ummm we didnt get "burned", we are just one country and NOT backed by the EU... we developed exactly as many worlds we could afford to do effectively :thumbsup:

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Uh huh...

Post by silvaril » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:26 am

Heya

aka The EU ( or member nations ) negotiated with / through the Scandinavians and traded large amounts of "support" for the Scandinavian colonies et al for the opportunity to expand themselves...?
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:12 am

pretty much. Whereas US offers to "support" Canadian efforts were somewhat more...proprietary. :wink:

martinl

Post by martinl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:22 pm

That badgertech has to be hot stuff, considering the USA would be leaning on Canada real hard for something that valuable, and it's not always the most thoughtful elephant.
-martinl
The Ammonite Heresy - Liir vs. Locusts
Bob and Fred's Excellent Adventure - Two Hippies, Seven Hard Zuul AIs

Magnum

Post by Magnum » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:21 pm

First hockey then badgertech, what will those crazy Canucks think to export next?!

martinl

Post by martinl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:28 pm

Magnum wrote:First hockey then badgertech, what will those crazy Canucks think to export next?!

Little Mosque on Tau Ceti?
-martinl
The Ammonite Heresy - Liir vs. Locusts
Bob and Fred's Excellent Adventure - Two Hippies, Seven Hard Zuul AIs

Return to “NorthStar General Discussion”